Weight loss on restricted gall bladder diet

Discuss anything related to dieting, nutrition, recipes and food facts.

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

garethlello1979
ESTABLISHED MEMBER

Weight loss on restricted gall bladder diet

Post by garethlello1979 »

Hi guys,

I am 5ft8 and did weigh in at 216lbs however after a week in hospital with a chronic gall bladder infection and limited diet in the last 2 weeks i have dropped to 197lb. overall goal is to get down to 168lb which seems to be the sweet spot for me.

Currently i am on a restricted diet as i am waiting to have gall bladder removed so i wanted to know how the diet below is and would it eventually cause weight loss to even out and get down to goal.

Breakfast

Crumpets with low fat cheese

Snack

Breakfast biscuits

Lunch

Crispbread x 3 with dairylea light
French fry crisps
Low fat yoghurt

Snack

1/2 tin tomatoe soup
2 pieces wholemeal bread

Evening

5% beef mince
Brown rice
Timmed Tomatoes
Mushrooms

Snack

Crushed meringue nest
Raspberries
Low Fat Yoghurt

Apple

I have been through all of this and it comes to 1701 calories and 37.8 grams of fat.

I'm looking at oter ways to add variety but they all roughly come to the same amount of calories and fat. With operation looking like its 6 weeks away with another couple recovery afterwards is this an ok diet to follow, and is it something i could sustain afterwards or would i need to add calories in?

With all this i am hopefully going to be able to go to the gym and do an hours jogging at the gym 3 to 4 days per week which I'm guessing if i do at that on those days i will need to add calories in. At the moment i am still looking into tis as not sure i will be allowed to until after the operation.
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Re: Weight loss on restricted gall bladder diet

Post by Boss Man »

That looks a little low, but if it's what you have to work with then there is nothing much you can do right now, unless you have been given clearance by a medic regarding caloric wiggle room.

If you did, then certainly you could get another 200 calories in your breakfast at the very least.

As for weights or lifting, are you prohibited right now in any way shape or form?
garethlello1979
ESTABLISHED MEMBER

Well im am currently weighing 197lb looking to drop 168lb so is that really too few calories with that being goal?

Exercise wise i am diagnosed with a hiatial hernia if you know what is (sorry if you do) so i have to be careful with weights in as much as i cant do crunches or anything that puts too much pressure on the core in case it causes the hernia to tear more.

Therefore any advice around that would be greatly appreciated as i dont want to be limited to just cardio even though i am getting into it. And instructors at the gym dont seem o understand or be able to give advice.

It is frustrating as previously the workout that works best for me is normally high weights, low reps, minimal break between sets 3 times a week with a 4th session for cardio that always was a dead cert but the hernia does limit that somewhat and until i have the gall bladder op the core is under extra pressure.

As i say any advice would be greatly appreciated as i dont really want to lost weight via diet alone i want to improve fitness too.

At least on the plus side the weight loss from hospital has caused me to drop just over 2 inches from stomach and over an inch from waist.
garethlello1979
ESTABLISHED MEMBER

alternative breakfast is Gluten free cereal with skyr yoghut and raspberries but thats the same calorie wise as crumpets.

I was wondering is there any benefit to adding smoothies to it and investing in a nutribullet?
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

I would bin off weights for now, although you could do some research into yoga and see how that works, until you have an all clear after an operation to go back onto weights.

As for a Nutribullet, I don't see any reason(s) why you can't use that as an option.
garethlello1979
ESTABLISHED MEMBER

Cool thanks for that i want t keep the calories down so if i use juices and smoothies to bulk them out a bit and cardio would that be ok for weight loss until after the operation and then look at things again.
garethlello1979
ESTABLISHED MEMBER

An update after 2 weeks i have been sticking to the diet which daily is between 1750 and 1800 calories and been looking to lose weight via calories only then build in power walking/jogging at the gym to boost the calorie burn. I was quite surprised and slightly dissapointed.

So based on me losing weight via just diet i have the latest stats.

Weight to start 215lb, stomach 117cm and waist 105cm

2 weeks after which is 1 weeks hospital and 1 week recovery with little food

Weight 197lb -18lb, stomach 111.5cm -5.5cm, waist 101.5cm -3.5cm

Yesterday a further 2 weeks after

Weight 195.6lb -1.4lb, stomach 111.5cm - no change, waist 99.5cm -2cm

So as you can weight loss has slowed to less than 1lb per week where i really want to ideally try and lost 1lb to 1.5lb per week for a stone and then 1lb for the last stone. Stomach has stayed the same but strangely i have lost another 2cm off waist even with the minimal weight loss.

I have been tracking steps with tracker and the most was last week 33,000 steps so not that many.

question is what is the best way to try and increase weight loss to 1lb to 1.5lb i would guess naturally try and increase steps to something between 55,000 and 70,000 may be the difference maker, or if i stay on track going to the gym 4 times a week and power walking.

Any other suggestions would be great as im guessing i dont really want to be dropping calories any more?
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

Some possibilities.

You may have gained a bit of muscle, hence the net losses on weight.

your calories may be a bit low and may beend increasing by around 20-30%.

A bit of both.

I doubt you've gotten a bit of water retention, unless you've been getting an unneccessary level of salt in your diet.

You may be weighing yourself during the day or last thing at night. If you pick a specific day each week and weigh first thing on an empty stomach and after a toilet break, then undigested food and retained waste matter won't be able to skew any readings.
garethlello1979
ESTABLISHED MEMBER

Cheers i don't know if i would gain muscle as I'm not doing any weights only dieting and trying to increase steps which i don't think would encourage muscle growth.

Also wouldn't increasing calories by 20% take me to just over 2000 and mean that i would lose even less weight? So how would increasing calories be counter productive how does that logic work? Pardon confusion on that one.

I am weighing myself every 2 weeks first thing on a mon morning naked on an empty stomach after a toilet break.

Are there any supplements that could possibly help as well?
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

If someones calories are a bit low the body can hnold onto fat as it goes into what is called a starvation mode, so if you're undereating a bit then it may account for why your weight loss is not quite as prolific as you would wish.

Also you are exercising so having added calories is also good to provide fuel and energy for workouts, because if you're not careful then exercise if it's a bit too excessive can burn muscle and 1lb of added muscle burns an extra 45-50 calories per day and is good for the metabolism, but conversely lost muscle could have the reverse effect.

So if someone exercises too much and the calories are a bit low, the body may hang onto a bit more fat than might be desirable and weight loss may have a higher bone density and muscle loss fact than it should and ideally weight loss should come with muscukoskeletal sacrifice.

Also if someones diet causes reduced salt, then around 12-16lbs of water weight loss on the first 2-3 weeks could be experienced, falsifying someones idea of how much fat they are losing.

So adding a small anount of additional calories in could be good for your weight loss and help you to fuel your workouts better.

It would be sensible at least to consider this and see how it pans out for the first 4-6 weeks, then decide what is working best. I would suggest that if you increase calories do it on days when you workout and stick to the normal 2,000 a day on non-workout days.
garethlello1979
ESTABLISHED MEMBER

That makes sense now thanks im doing a full diet sheet with various meals on it to see what the exact calories come to and i will post the average on here see how many may need to be added.

At the moment this week im jut adding steps and trying to get up to about 50,000 then next week try power walking for an hour on the treadmill 4 times a week to get me up around 70,000 and improve general fitness gradually building up to slow jogging, jogging then light running but do it gradually.
garethlello1979
ESTABLISHED MEMBER

Right ive sorted portions and done a proper tally of everything and current what i call diet for work and it comes to 1738 calories and 35.3 grammes of fat.

Breakfast

Crumpets X2 106 0.6
Low Fat Cheese 72 4.3
Tomato Ketchup 15 0.0

Mid Morning

Strawberry Fruity Bakes 114 4.0
Apple 71 0.1
Smoothie/Juice

Lunch

Crispbread 84 1.5
Dairylea Light 84 4.2
Yoghurts 63 0.1

Mid Afternoon

Apple 71 0.1
Chocolate 98 3.7

Early Evening

Tomatoe Soup - 1/2 Tin 116 5.3
Wholemeal Bread 134 1.8

Tea

Mince 184 5.5
Rice 207 2.5
Mushroom 8 0.2
Tomatoe/Sauce 50 0.4
Small Yoghurt 68 0.5

Dessert

Meringue 79 0.0
Raspberry 2 0.3
Yoghurt 112 0.3

1738 35.4
garethlello1979
ESTABLISHED MEMBER

Right the last 2 weeks from 5th to 18th November i followed the outlined diet to the letter and these are new stats:

Weight 195.6lb exactly the same
Stomach 111cm loss of 0.5cm
Waist 93cm loss of 6cm I triple checked the measurement and yes that is correct

the previous 2 weeks i had walked a total 55,000 steps but this last fortnight i walked a combined total of 105,000 steps nearly double. No gym work just diet and increased steps.

So i guess question is two fold. Firstly with double the stepping why have i not lost any weight even a lb! And the second is with no weight or stomach measurement change how on earth did i knock so much off the waist?
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

Sometimes less can be more. You may have walked too much and your body might have wanted to hang onto fat depending on your food intake.

You may hev lost weight but it might be that it was very slight, but even if you lose 1/4 lb a week, then it's getting you somewhere. Consistency of results is key, not necessarily timeframe or a specific amount :).

What makes you think you lost around the waist?
garethlello1979
ESTABLISHED MEMBER

I lost around the waist because the measurement has reduced and i always measure the same place.

Also i dont want body to be hanging onto fat i have another 2 stone to go so this remaining static is not good in eyes.