New to the site !!! Need help Plz!!!

Discuss anything related to dieting, nutrition, recipes and food facts.

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

BoyYaThink
STARTING OUT

New to the site !!! Need help Plz!!!

Post by BoyYaThink »

Hey there!!! I have to tell you little about myself first!! I'm going to try to keep the short and sweet but I use to weigh 365 lbs. Jan of 2019 I set out to do a complete lifestyle change. Hardcore dieting and running everyday I lost 182 lbs in one year!!! Well I'm trying to find a calorie balance to build lean muscle mass and continue to run everyday. I run around 6 miles everyday. I burn over 3000 calories a day. what do I need to do? Do I need to intake 3000 calories a day?? I also do 1 1/2 of hiit workouts everyday !! Plz help!!
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Re: New to the site !!! Need help Plz!!!

Post by Boss Man »

Hi BYT good to speak to you.

Well I wouldn't necessarily do all the running and HIIT cardio, as it could be too much.

When you're looking for a weights workout, I would suggest that you start off with a TBT workout focusing on the whole body twice a week, so something like this would be good for 4-6 weeks to adjust to weights.

Squats, 2 sets, 10 reps

Lunges, 2 sets, 10 reps

Deadlifts, 2 sets, 10 reps

Military Press, 2 sets 10 reps

Bent over Rows, 2 sets, 10 reps

Shrugs, 2 sets, 10 reps

Planks 30 seconds

I would increase the weight a bit every 1-2 weeks and planks for 5 seconds longer per week and after 4-6 weeks you should be getting within 90-95% failure, the point at which you literally cannot do anymore reps no that set. Failure is not necessary as you just use more energy over the course of a workout and gettle back in return, but getting close each time is a good idea and in terms of incorporating cardio, I would say do this.

Day 1. Weights, then exercise bike 6 miles.

Day 2. 6 mile run

Day 3. Weights, then exercise bike 6 miles.

Day 4. 6 mile run

Day 5. Weights, then exercise bike 6 miles.

Day 6. 6 mile run

Day 7. Day off

The exercises bike would be better for after a TBT than things like treadmillers, elliptical etc, as eventually when you're hitting 90-95% of rep max after 4-6 weeks on sets, particularly lower body, then you don't necessarily want to be on a machine with fatigued legs when vertical, sitting down would be better, because if you're legs started feeling a bit wobbly, you wouldn't fall over.

I doub't you're legs would go like that after your legs have been through the wringer a bit, but it's better to be safe on that score.

Hopefully all that helps.

In terms of diet I would say consume 3.000 calories a day and see how you get on and if needs be increase a little bit on the weights days, but see how you get on for a few weeks and after 3-4 months see where you're at.

Hopefully that helps :).
BoyYaThink
STARTING OUT

Post by BoyYaThink »

Thank you SSSOOOOOO much !!!! Its going to be tuff for me to cut back on running Haha!!! But hey I have to do it!!! I was running half and full marathons. I know its a lot of trial and error when it come to nutrition to each own body. One thing is that I know I'm not consuming 3000 cal a day. But I'm burning way more. I guess the main thing I'm of is that I'm going to gain all this weight back by eating all this food. Its hard to switch brain off of diet mode.
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

The idea is not to gain weight back, it's because you want to gain muscle and keep the fitness, so as cardio can be detrimintal to muscle mass if you overdo it, it's about having the extra calories to build muscle and fuel the cardio, but also to make sure the cardio is counterproductive to the muscle building.

If this scenario works out, you'll get get morte build and keep the 6 mile fitness, but you shouldn't end up with a big chunk of fluff coming back :).

It's a trial and error process.
RandolphRay
STARTING OUT

Post by RandolphRay »

"I burn over 3000 calories a day" how the hell you do it? Running is a good one, but don't forget to eat enough and healthy! If you want to gain muscle mass, you should pay attention, not to cardio, but to strength exercises. You also need not a calorie deficiency, but a set.