Which Protein?

A forum for anything related to nutritional supplementation including advice and reviews.

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

skully
REGULAR

Which Protein?

Post by skully »

So a friend at the gym introduced me to a VERY yummy and a good tasting protein shake - that I didn't feel I drank one. One problem...

It has too much fat/carbs/fiber for a protein shake.

Fat: 6, sat: 2
Carb: 14
Fiber: 5, 2 sugars
Protein: 22
It's Syntha-6 Cookies and cream

On the other hand, there is the Gold Standard (ON), and their cookies and cream is much better
Fat: 1.5, Sat: 0.5
Carb: 4
Sugar: 1
Protein 24

I am not sure if they taste even close to the same - sincei t's sumer and it's really hot. Chocolate is no longer tasting good. In fact I am not sure if it ever tatsed good to begin with.

So any inputs on either - that if I can find the latter! I am also thinking about the Mocha Cappaciono (similar N.facts)

I think the ON is more expensive than the Syntha one...

Wha do you guys think?

I need to buy one very soon *sigh*
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Re: Which Protein?

Post by Boss Man »

Go for the first one. Carbs help synthesise Protein. Plus 2/3 of the Fat is not saturates anyway, so it's no biggie.

The Carb amount is 14g, which is hardly a problem, especially as Sugar is only 2g.
skully
REGULAR

Post by skully »

so nutritonal value is considered okay? Because its always been said to have the least to no fat before/after workout cuz it slows digestion, same with fiber, right?

Or I shouldn't be worried?
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

No need to worry.
skully
REGULAR

Post by skully »

good to hear - cuz I already got one. a 2lb one though. I wanted to get the 5 lb, it was unavailable ..and we have them on sale - and usually they cost more here than in the US....

I think i need to epxose myself to different protein shakes - i wish they have trial versions or packs that we could get...its frustrating to buy a flavor only to realize it doesn't even taste close to good. I know thats not the GOAL of protein shakes obvously - but some do taste better than others incredibly
skully
REGULAR

Post by skully »

everytime Ive been drinking protien shake I get this feeling something is stuck in throat...and tis becoming annoying and disgusting..its happen with or without milk/water ...what to so? Is it normal?
lmatthe78
STARTING OUT

Post by lmatthe78 »

For future buying :D

BSN also makes a protein powder called lean dessert protein (LDP) that is lower in fat and carbs and it is delicious. There is not cookies and cream though, the vanilla, chocolate fudge puddinng, and chocolate coconut candy are really good.

The ON protein you were looking at I believe is 100% whey while the Syntha-6 and LDP are protein blends. You probably prefer the taste of blends.

Remember to look at serving size as well, for Syntha-6 they report a 44g serving, LDP is 35g, and ON is 32g. They always give the same scoop size!

Dymatize Elite Gourmet Proteins are pretty good too, they are blends and there are a lot of flavors to choose from.
saultitis
STARTING OUT

Post by saultitis »

I use Precision Iso Pro Low carb Protein Powder mixed with skim milk. Since your body can only use up to 30 g. of protein in a 3 hr period, I use approx 3/4 of a scoop. This is daily breakfast.
I've had bariatric surgery so good absorption is very important - one of the doctors from a bariatric clinic said this was a good one. We were advised to look for whey protein being the main or only ingredient.
I buy a 6 lb. pail online, which is cheaper than buying a 2 lb container (works out to one free this way).

But if you want to try different ones, just ask at a health food store if they have any samples.... they often do, or trade with someone else who uses something different.
saultitis
STARTING OUT

Post by saultitis »

I've had bariatric surgery so absorption is very important - whey protein should be one of the first ingredients, or the only ingredient, at least for people who have had the surgery. The one I buy is Precision Iso Pro Low Carb protein powder (chocolate)... its daily breakfast mixed with skim milk. Since your body can only use up to 30 g. of protein in a 3 hr period, I use approx 3/4 of a scoop, plus the 8 g. protein from the milk which gives me 30 g.

If you want to try different ones, ask at a health food store if they have samples... they often do, or see if you can find others who are willing to trade or give you a sample.
ashleybrown
STARTING OUT

Post by ashleybrown »

Well, I think you should go with first one. The first is looking lot better then second one.
sames
STARTING OUT

Post by sames »

What's the name of this shake? I'm looking for a good protein shake since a long time but I didn't like the flavors too much until now! I just had one with a good good flavor from a delivery chocolate, but the company stopped producing it and now I feel kind of lost... help would be appreciated!