Weight loss Supplements

A forum for anything related to nutritional supplementation including advice and reviews.

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

Swim2J
STARTING OUT

Weight loss Supplements

Post by Swim2J »

I've been thinking about trying a new weight loss supplement. One of friends recommended MPOWER. Does anyone know anything about i?
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Re: Weight loss Supplements

Post by Boss Man »

No, but the basic advise with weight loss supplements is don't bother. anything called a fat burner, appetite suppressant or thermogenic serum is a load of rubbish and most are proven by poor science, faked testimonials, are dangerous or are just scams to steal your money.

You can lose weight with a correct diet and increasing muscle mass, as more mass can burn more calories.
jacal1
STARTING OUT

Post by jacal1 »

I agree with the above. You could just make sure you are taking enough of the good stuff - the Vitamin Bs, Omega 3 (especially fish oil), etc - just the vitamins, minerals, and oils that can be helpful. However, the herbals are just unproven and really do little else than give a short-term boost. Muscle mass is key, and there is no shortcut to reducing calories.
Swim2J
STARTING OUT

Post by Swim2J »

Oh no, don't get me wrong... I definitely am not depending solely on any supplement. I'm pretty particular about diet and am in the gym every day. But I figured there has to be some truth behind the madness...?
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

There is truth behind the madness.

The "madness" being the purported misconception, that overweight individuals need and can benefit from such products.

The "truth" being they don't need them and don't benefit from them, except in their own heads.

Hopefully I've clarified things for you :).

Keep believing in the right way(s) to complete your journey and good luck :).
Swim2J
STARTING OUT

Post by Swim2J »

lol well yes, that's what I figured. but I still don't know where to go from here... I DO really want to try taking something in addition to workouts. I just don't want to pick the wrong thing or jump onto some bandwagon.
Swim2J
STARTING OUT

Post by Swim2J »

so any suggestions then?
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

If you want any sort of supplment that might help you lose weight, then something like Conjugated Linoleic Acid might work, or alternatively increase water intake and make sure your Salt intake is moderated, to prevent things like water retention and Edema, (fluid in the legs), but not least because Salt in high amounts is tied in with Hypertension.

You could take Carnitine, but Carnitine is created from the conversion of an amino acid in protein, I forget which one, but it is technically supposed to help burn fat, as is Taurine, but I think some people could get too over expectant with such things and results may range from mediocre to poor, or even total rubbish.
Swim2J
STARTING OUT

Post by Swim2J »

do you know if it is WADA compliant?
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

If you're referring to some kind of doping regulations, then Carnitine would be, because as I said it is created in the body by the regulation of one of the amino acids in proteins and CLA is just a fatty acid, so both are natural substances, not chemically made.
Swim2J
STARTING OUT

Post by Swim2J »

oh I thought you were referring to a brand or specific product haha sorry!
Mary136
STARTING OUT

Post by Mary136 »

Hello,

I'm joining the conversation. I would like to lose weight loss. I think I'll try green tea pills. According to you, it is efficient? It is better to drink green tea or take green tea supplements? What is the best place to buy green tea pills?

Thanks. Mary.
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

I'll politely reiterate stance for you again.

Green tea YES

Green tea pills NO.

:).
herbanoah
STARTING OUT

Post by herbanoah »

Weight Loss Supplements do work. They help you jump start your weight loss then in the process of seeing results you switch off of them. So all of you are wrong, thanks.

Start with supplements then work to know your diet and your body and go from there.

So many negative posts about supps.

Message me
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

With sincere respect we're all wrong because you say so? To put it politely, the reality is whether you want to believe it or not, they pretty much don't work, because there's no way for anybody who uses them to prove it, unless they sit on their butts shovelling junk and booze down their throats as per normal and then take pills as well. so they can isolate the effects by weighing themselves weekly.

The pills would have to have some physiological effect(s) whether you're active or slobby, but people using them with exercise and / or a calorie controlled diet, are masking any effects of pills with proven weight loss activities, making it impossible to determine what these things do.

They are also tested using joke science. You can read the scientific test results printed on XLS Medical's website, about using a measly 10 test subjects, who were not overweight and other tests involving only caucasians tested in Germany and see how much of their testing makes a blind bit of sense, when reasoning for many aspects of such test procedures is not given and other aspects of the testing is plain ridiculous.

I'd also say out of politeness, if you leave email addresses on your posts or avatars, you may become a target for spammers, who could copy them and use them to spambot poorly protected internet forums and internet guestbooks and you may get more email spam as well.

I appreciate your comments but I must poltely disagree :).