Need help with protein supliments

A forum for anything related to nutritional supplementation including advice and reviews.

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

hellsman22
STARTING OUT

Need help with protein supliments

Post by hellsman22 »

Hey Guys

I am pretty new to fitness... I am very skinny, and I don't want to be anymore. I currently do workouts with dumbbells and other stuff I can do at home, as I do not have time, or the money to go to a GYM, but this seems to be making little to no difference. I have been advised by someone from work to try taking protein shakes, as they would massively help. So, to question.. Will protein shakes really help me? I don't want to be mega buff or anything like that, I just don't want to be skinny! Also, any advice on what I should take? As there seems to be quite a lot of different types!

Thanks guys :)
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Re: Need help with protein supliments

Post by Boss Man »

The protein powder will only be of significant benefit for you to any extent, if you add it into a good diet. As a partial for a diet that is hindering progresss, it is a false prophecy and I would suggest at this time that your diet would be a better avenue to explore, with the protein shake option put on a back burner for possibly the near future.

So what foods do you eat and what times do you eat them? What does a typical days eating look like?

Alinshop
REGULAR

Post by Alinshop »

Most guy's that i know(that are trying to bulk) throw in a couple of shakes everyday for extra calories. You can mix in dry oats, natty peanut butter, almond milk, honey etc...
hellsman22
STARTING OUT

Post by hellsman22 »

Boss Man wrote:The protein powder will only be of significant benefit for you to any extent, if you add it into a good diet. As a partial for a diet that is hindering progresss, it is a false prophecy and I would suggest at this time that your diet would be a better avenue to explore, with the protein shake option put on a back burner for possibly the near future.

So what foods do you eat and what times do you eat them? What does a typical days eating look like?

Thanks for the reply.

typical eating habbits are...
  • 1pm: Either a 12 Inch sub from Subway and 2 cookies OR chips and gravy (I'm from UK)

6:45pm: Lasagna or Mac and Cheese or something else along the same lines
Then I may have a small snack like a yogurt afterwards.

I know I should eat in the morning, but I never seem to find the time. Also, I always thought I ate enough, but looking at how much I actually eat, I'm not too sure anymore :?
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

This is something I post for people sometimes, which i think might work for you.

Breakfast

Option 1.

Bowl of Whole-grain Cereal and 1 rasher of Bacon, fat trimmed off and scrambled Eggs, (2 Egg Whites + Yolk)

Option 2.

Protein shake, small portion of Nuts, (excluding higher carb ones like Cashews, Chestnuts and Grapenuts), + Apple. Give the Apple 10-15 minutes to digest to improve digestion.

Snack

Option 1.

Portion of Turkey + Orange

Option 2.

Small Portion of Peanuts, some Chicken + Raw Carrott.

Lunch

Option 1.

Large Beef Sandwich with trimmings, I.E. Tomato, Lettuce, Cucumber etc.

Option 2.

Bowl of Chicken Soup, + Pot of yoghurt.

Snack

Option 1.

Turkey + Cashews

Option 2.

Ham + 2 large Tomatos

Dinner

Option 1.

Pork with mashed Potato.

Option 2.

Chicken and Rice

Option 3.

100g Halibut + Broccoli

Snack

Option 1.

Beans on Toast

Option 2.

Ham Sandwich, no trimmings.

Easy on the bread with both options.

You could add a few things to certain meals, like Sea Salt, Cracked Black Pepper, Parsley, Mustard, Herbs, Garlic.