Concerns Re: Previous Lecithin (Choline) Usage

A forum for anything related to nutritional supplementation including advice and reviews.

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

sgupta
STARTING OUT

Concerns Re: Previous Lecithin (Choline) Usage

Post by sgupta »

Hey all,

Another supplement question for you in quest to get healthy/stop worrying =oP.

Several years ago, because of its reputation to promote cardiovascular and brain health, I was taking soy-based Triple Lecithin (around 7200 mg daily, which translated to 2520 mg phosphatidylcholine). I took this for a number of years (probably ~5; could be a bit more or less).

Unfortunately, I'm aware of current studies (see http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/25/healt ... -risk.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) that seem to indicate ingesting lecithin, choline, or carnitine for that matter, may cause gut flora to make a harmful chemical called TMAO that leads to increased plaque buildup on artery walls.

On the other hand, I'm under the impression that lecithin was used for years by bodybuilders, etc., and even promoted to help *clean* arteries. I believe that's one of the reasons I started taking it in the first place.

This concerns me quite a bit. I cut out the supplement a couple years ago (because of the first study ~2011; a followup was just posted in 2013), and the good news is lifestyle and current supplement regimen seems to be much healthier, but I can't help wondering if I was likely to do any longterm damage. Any thoughts would be most welcome.

And thanks!
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Re: Concerns Re: Previous Lecithin (Choline) Usage

Post by Boss Man »

That study looks a bit confusing as carnitine can be created from the usage of the amino acid Lysine.

These links will probably make it easier for you.

Carinitine Link 1

Carinitine link 2

Carnitine link 3
sgupta
STARTING OUT

Re: Concerns Re: Previous Lecithin (Choline) Usage

Post by sgupta »

Boss Man,

Thanks much for the helpful links. A lot of good information to go through!

While I took much more soy lecithin than carnitine (though I did take some if it, and still take a little in BP supplement), I think the lesson is the same - it seems like carnitine (and soy lecithin) are only considered to be heart unhealthy in the context of this study (and even then, the soy variant wasn't studied), but I don't see how if carnitine was really that unhealthy, it would be usable in people already with atherosclerosis with positive heart outcomes. There's got to be something the study's missing.

I've also seen criticism that fish should increase TMAO much more than these things, but it's known to be heart healthy.

So I'm guessing your take is I shouldn't be overly worried/concerned then?

Thanks again, especially for the patience with all this recent health anxiety! =oP