Supplements - How To Use

A forum for anything related to nutritional supplementation including advice and reviews.

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Supplements - How To Use

Post by Boss Man »

This is a small guide to using supplements for those who don't know. This is not about the benefits, side effects, which is best etc etc, just usage only, but it's based on things I've used or read about, so excuse me if it's not totally comprehensive, but I've never been a supplement junkie :wink:.

This can be added to if anyone else has relevant information regards dosign other supplements.

1. Protein powders, (regular)

Depending on whether the scoop gives you 25 or 30 grams, (most common amounts), you can do 1-2 doses post workout.

Should you require to use it more than once, like say having some tu supplement Breakfast protein, have 0.5 -1 scoop.

If you take any before bed, stick to 1 scoop.

Many come with something like Maltodextrin, and high GI Corn starch derived sugar. This should assist synthesis of the protein powder, but you could stack the powder with additional Freeform Glutamine, to help synthesise it, and if yours doesn't have any such sugars in, use something that assists, like a few mouthfuls of energy drink, or Grape Juice etc etc.

2. Casein Protein.

Best for nightime, as it's slower digesting and anti-catabolic, if you take it, stick to 1 scoop.

3. Creatine, (Powdered).

Basic Creatine has two starter options, loading or not loading. More advanced types like Kre-alkalyn or CEE, don't suppsoedly require to load, so don't load, as it would probably offer little additional benefit I would think.

3a. Loading means taking 4 scoops a day, 1 scoop every 4 hours for 5-7 days. This supposedly causes saturation of the muscles, and speeds up results.

Some people don't agree with this theory, about it speeding up results, and therefore don't load.

3b. Maintenance, (also what you do from the start, if you don't load), of which there are 3 usual kinds.

3b1, You take 5g daily, and on workout days after a workout.

3b2. You take roughly 2 grams pre-workout, 3 grams post-workout.

3bc. Take the 5g post-workout, then another 5g before bed. When workouts finish less than 6 hours before bed, take the second one first thing in the morning.

This is for people who choose to use 10g maintenance regimes. You don't have to, but if you do don't take the 10g at once.

3c. Cycling

There are many different cycling methods. The most common is 3 months on, 1 off. Though some go 2 months on, 1 off, some go for 3 weeks on, 1 off.

Even with ones that say, you don't need to cycle, like Kre-alkalyn or CEE, there's no harm cycling them, infact it might be kinder to the Kidneys, though I've never read anything to support that.

Glutamine

5-10g, (1-2 tspns), pre-workout, and the same before bed. You shouldn't need to go over 20g a day.

HMB, (Beta-hydroxy betamethylbutyrate)

Comes in Pill form, except in all in one powders.

There is a recommended way to use this.

2 Pills pre / post-workout. 4 in total.

I used this once, but foolishly for the wrong reasons, and haven't used it since.

As I didn't want to use too much of it and spend more moeny, I chose to do a 1 Pill pre / post-workout. THe company I got it off, said on the phone, using it that way, would give benefit, but how much they couldn't say.

At least they didn't say something like "oh no you have to use the 4 pill method, or nothing happens", which could have been a trick to make me use more.

The 2 Pills pre / post-workout thing, could give good results. I just half dosed, and it worked for me, though nothing special, but the amount of Protein I was having at the time, means the minor synthesis benefits, I got off HMB were probably a total waste of money, and half a tub got binned.

You might find if you want to half dose, you could get better benefits having 2 Pills, post-workout, instead of 1 either side of a workout.

I can't say whether 2 Pills Pre / Post workout, 1 Pill Pre / Post-workout, or 2 Pills Post-workout, works best, as it helps with Protein synthesis, so it would have to be the users decision to play around with doses.

Multi-vitamins.

Owing to the fact Vitamin K, and I believe A,D and E can become toxic at high levels, I would advise use 0.5 Multivit a day, first thing. You shouldn't need anything more then that, if you supplement with one.
hasbro89
STARTING OUT

isolate whey protein

Post by hasbro89 »

hi..how about isolate whey protein...when do we use it ?
Bonnie
VETERAN

Re: Supplements - How To Use

Post by Bonnie »

So, If it is not possible to eat as much protein as I need in a day..though I am trying..is it better to under protein myself or is it better to use a scoop of it daily ?
swanso5
VETERAN

Post by swanso5 »

use powder
Bonnie
VETERAN

Post by Bonnie »

Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

You will obviously find methodology on how to use a Protein powder, listed in post. This is the best way for people to get a little added protein, if they have a schedule where it's hard to eat all they require.
cobaltsunrise
STARTING OUT

Post by cobaltsunrise »

@Bossman- question is how long after(time frame) the work out should i take Whey, i take regular whey not isolate. I have another question - after working out the blood goes to our muscles and stays there to repair and help the muscle( logic might be a bit way off) , so to take whey just after we finish our work out would divert the blood from the muscle to the stomach, isn't that a bad?

Also what is the difference between Whey and Whey Isolate ? I found a chemist where the guy way trying to sell me Whey Isolate over Regular Whey(of course it was more expensive).
cobaltsunrise
STARTING OUT

Post by cobaltsunrise »

@lesplease- Can I have the shake 20 minutes and then another 20 and have breakfast. Is that ok ? also Can i mix the shake with Soy milk and have it wiht breakfast ?
alex_fisher
STARTING OUT

Post by alex_fisher »

What is the best combination of supplements, I mean, how can I combine the use of Whey protein and a fat burner and / or another multivit. The shake 30 min before workouts and another inmediately after? the fat burner before each meal? before workouts? I normally do weights two hours first, and cardio 30 mins later. I guess this way I´m using full strength for the weight exercises. goal is to increase weight and muscle size, but apparently I´m losing weight. What am I doing wrong.... :cry:
Nokie173
VETERAN

Post by Nokie173 »

alex_fisher wrote:... goal is to increase weight and muscle size, but apparently I´m losing weight. What am I doing wrong.... :cry:
STOP using Fat Burners!

2 Hours of Weights?? – That’s a lot!
How many days do you train? And what do you do for your weights?
alex_fisher
STARTING OUT

Post by alex_fisher »

Thank you for your response.. I do free weights normally 3-4 sets of 8 reps in heavy weights.
I guess I will have to cut the time off of exercises as well as burners didn´t I

Thanks a lot :D
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

Agreed. Fat Burners are 0/10.
eran112003
STARTING OUT

Post by eran112003 »

i agree in terms of that protein is protein. but we dont want bulk. so opinion is optimum whey protein powder. L-carnitine and multivitamin is enough. as long as you get sufficient carb and protein by meal.
eran112003
STARTING OUT

Post by eran112003 »

and also you should reduce your intensity. just do 3 set and 5 exercises each day heavier but less rep. and work only for one muscle group each day. dont pass leg squat. and calves
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

I can only partially agree. Honestly no disrespect intended :).

Whilst splits have long been proven to work. Most natural lifters at the bigger end of the scale, around 190-200lbs+, could maybe get away with 12 sets on big muscle groups, particularly Chest, but you implying 3 sets of 5 exercises, or basically 15 sets per muscle, is almost certainly into pro-hormone country, if not Steroid use.

Most seasoned people with a natural approach to weightlifting, attempting 15 sets on a muscle group, would seriously have issues doing it, and maintaining intensity per workout.

Even if they could continue that long in a workout, the final few sets, would probably be completed with about 50-60%, rep numbers of the earlier ones, possibly less and potentially induce overtraining and possible issues with fatigue, immune reductions, sleep problems and inadequate recovery, causing very bad dropping off of performance levels, within as little as a month.

You're also looking at possible problems with CNS and PNS, when you're potentially over-stimulating the Motor Cortex and particularly areas like the Thalamus, that help govern motory and sensory function.

As I say, no disrespect intended, as it's good to have you on board :).