easy chicken recipes

Discuss anything related to dieting, nutrition, recipes and food facts.

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

musculArgirl2
VETERAN

easy chicken recipes

Post by musculArgirl2 »

sister laughs because i tell her I'm intimidated from cooking chicken. She says it's so easy to cook. LOL

I would like to hear people's recipes for cooking chicken. I think there was a few in the low carb post i did. Here is one that i'm going to try next week.

2 chicken breasts

2 garlic cloves

2 tbsns brown sugar

1.5 tbsn olive oil

preheat oven to 500.

saute garlic with oil till tender

remove from heat and stir in brown sugar

add salt and pepper to taste

bake uncovered for 15 to 30 minutes

got this from http://www.food.com/recipe/easy-garlic-chicken-5478" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by musculArgirl2 on Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
musculArgirl2
VETERAN

slow cooker salsa chicken

Post by musculArgirl2 »

here's another one. boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 cup salsa
1 package reduced sodium taco seasoning
1 can reduced fat cream of mushroom soup (condensed)
1/2 cup reduced fat sour cream

Directions

Add chicken to slow cooker.
Sprinkle taco seasoning over chicken.
Pour salsa and soup over chicken.
Cook on low for 6 to 8 hours.
Remove from heat and stir in sour cream.
Serve with rice.

NOTES:
You may use half the packet of taco seasoning (I have started doing this to reduce sodium content myself)

Some slow cookers cook faster than others. Mine is a true slow cooker (have had it over 10 years.) The newer ones cook a bit faster and you may have to adjust your cooking time based on that!

got this from sparkpeople. this is the number one rated recipe in their collection. haven't tried it yet but i want too. Maybe this week also. :)

http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-d ... ipe=672711" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Re: easy chicken recipes

Post by Boss Man »

Chicken is easy as anything to cook. I kep it simple. Frying pan 14 minutes approx, flipping it every 2 minutes and then after flipping on 12 minutes flipping on 13, so you get an even amount of cooking time on both sides.

A small amount of butter or oil could be used as if necessary, then you could season afterwards with things like black pepper and sea salt if you wished.
Athene
REGULAR

Post by Athene »

This thread makes me feel extremely lazy! This is all I do, and I can't help but feel I'm missing out a bit ; )

1. Buy chicken breasts.
2. Spray a pan with Pam.
3. Put the chicken on the pan.
4. Sprinkle seasoning on the chicken (I like this one http://www.clubhouse.ca/en/products/ ... b1045e5688" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;).
5. Bake the chicken for 15-20 mins per side, at about 375˚C.

I cut the breasts in half and store them in the fridge in a big glass or tupperware container, and measure out portions for meals as I need them. 1/2 a breast is usually about 3 oz.
musculArgirl2
VETERAN

Post by musculArgirl2 »

Thank you Athene and Boss those both sound definitely easy!!

Boss when you fry it, i hope this doesn't sound stupid. :oops: But i made a mess when i fried it one time. Maybe the heat was on too high?? I'm not too excited about cleaning up salmonella germs all over the stove. Do you put a lid on it when you fry it to stop that from happening, or do i just need a lower heat? Sorry i'm not the best cook and -macation is not the best. :oops: And i didn't grow up eating much chicken so i don't know??

Athene that sounds quick and easy too. I may try that as well. I love some seasoning we have from a local butcher and no mess like when i fry :oops: :lol: . So i might try that instead. thanks. :)
Nokie173
VETERAN

Post by Nokie173 »

When I cook chicken breast with a frying pan.. for some reason it always end up dried.
Maybe I put the heat too high? Nowadays.. I season with salt & pepper and wrap it with a foil... and pop it in oven!
If not, I just buy one of those pre-made grilled chicken :mrgreen:
musculArgirl2
VETERAN

Post by musculArgirl2 »

yeah i think baking in the oven or in the crockpot is best alternative. Thanks NOkie. :)
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

Frying chicken requires moderate heat for approximately the duration I stated. I flip it regularly as I said, to induce a more even cooking method.

Dry chicken resulting from frying, comes from too lengthy a frying process or too high a heat. You should know when the chicken is ready, because some of the moisture that is inside, should be visable on the top, because it sweats out. At which point, another 2 minutes approximately should be all that is required, just incase it's not 100% done.

Sometimes when frying, depending on the shape of the chicken, you'll get a bit at the end that sticks up a bit further away from the heat source and may still be semi-pink and a tad spongy, because that bit of chicken is still a bit similar to how it was when raw, so if that happens, an extra 1-2 minutes will help and you can always press down on the specific area a bit with your spatula, to force it closer to ther heat.

Grilling is also a good way to cook chicken.
fitoverforty
VETERAN

Post by fitoverforty »

Spinach and LF Cream Cheese Stuffed Chicken Breasts:

Dice up Spinach leaves and chives or Green onion tops, fresh mushrooms in a bit of Extra Virgin Olive Oil and minced garlic until tender.

Mix into a bowl of softened FF or low fat Cream Cheese.

Pound out chicken breasts, or form a pocket, then spoon 1 to 2 tbsp's of mixture onto breast, fold over or roll and secure with toothpick if needed.
Season outside of Chicken breasts with a little salt and pepper or any salt free garlic seasoning blend.
Bake at 450 for about 20 to 25 minutes.

I have not tried this recipe but we were talking about it at work the other day and it sounded really good. I can't wait to try it!

You can do so much with this - use roasted red peppers, or pesto sauce, pour some picante sauce over it and bake in a cassorole dish, lots of ways to change it up.

If you want to make it more healthy, don't use the cream cheese. I think it could still be good just stuffed with sauteed spinach, mushrooms, onions, garlic, roasted red peppers, pesto, etc. that's the way I'm going to try it. :mrgreen:
musculArgirl2
VETERAN

Post by musculArgirl2 »

I'm a little intimidated to pound a chicken. I"m afraid chicken juice will fly everywhere. :oops: I know that if i put something over it that won't happen but i don't like to mess to much with chicken at least not yet! I'm getting more confident though. Maybe some day i will get there.

I made the slow cooker salsa chicken today. it took 5 hours in the crock pot before it was easily shredding. It's good. not bad at all. Will make it again! I have too, to use up the ingredients i bought. LOL But also because i liked it. Will try more as i go. :) I used cage free ogranic chicken which was only 5.99 for 3 breasts so not too bad.
musculArgirl2
VETERAN

Post by musculArgirl2 »

The slow cooker salsa chicken i liked when i first made it but it didnt' do anything for me when i reheated it. I LOVE the grilled chicken that local store makes. I want to try grilling some organic chicken legs too one of these days.

I decided to grill chicken breast tomorrow night. i have seasoning from butcher. That's all i'm planning on using right now. I love grilled chicken from local grocery store but it's not cage free which bothers me a lot. Hopefully this will taste yummy!! i may be doing this all summer long if it does. :)
Athene
REGULAR

Post by Athene »

musculArgirl2 wrote:I decided to grill chicken breast tomorrow night. i have seasoning from butcher. That's all i'm planning on using right now. I love grilled chicken from local grocery store but it's not cage free which bothers me a lot. Hopefully this will taste yummy!! i may be doing this all summer long if it does. :)
That sounds really good! Anything on the grill is so much better than from the oven.