High protein diet??

Discuss anything related to dieting, nutrition, recipes and food facts.

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

diddy93
STARTING OUT

High protein diet??

Post by diddy93 »

I'm looking to up protein intake, Im intaking about 130 grams a day but I want to up a bit more to about 180 maybe even higher. I'm 195lbs looking to get leaner. I workout 5 days a week and have already lost 10lbs and ultimate goal is 185lbs. Please help me make a diet with times and different types of food on there, I love chicken, beef and fish. Thanks!!
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Re: High protein diet??

Post by Boss Man »

What meals do you currently eat and what times do you eat?
diddy93
STARTING OUT

Post by diddy93 »

I usually start off by eating some oatmeal in the mroning with some protein powder in there or even 3-4 boiled egg whites with a protein shake. Last time I did that though i almost threw up an hour later hahaa, then I go to the gym for an hour and have a full protein shake after that. Lately I have been eating chicken or tuna salad after that. A few hours later I will have either have another protein shake with some sort of snack either: apple, almonds, etc. At night I usually only have chicken with broccoli or salad or replace the chicken with fish or steak. I'm assuming I get a certain amount of protein in diet but I think I can upgrade it to a bit more since I weigh 195lbs now. Any help you can give me about getting leaner with protein would be great, like snacks especially and also what time of the day to have certain proteins thanks!
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

It doesn't seem too bad, although I'd become less reliant on the protein shakes. You could have one with Breakfast and one after workouts, but the third of the day could be swapped, because there are other options for Protein like Low Fat Cheese, Peanuts, Chicken, Beef, Turkey, Ham, Boiled Eggs, Meat based Microwavable soups, Microwavable Rice dishes, Microwavable Baked Beans etc, so plenty of options.

Just make sure with some of those to factor in the Carb content, as some have it and then add a carb source in, in an appropriate way if needs be.

Careful on the Tuna too, as it's the heavy metal content that should be heeded. I'd limit to 3 portions a week, as per current guidelines.
Athene
REGULAR

Post by Athene »

Your body can only actually use about 30 g of protein per meal, so if you are eating more than that you're storing it as fat. Eat 6 times per day, 30 g of protein each time, with a healthy carb, like vegetables or fruit. Cottage cheese is a great, cheap source of protein, and there's 30 g of protein per 1 cup/250 mls. You can put berries or cut up an apple into 1 cup of cottage cheese and that's a squeaky clean, super nutritious meal. Chicken, beef, whatever meat you like is great just don't overdo it on the portions (for meat 4-5 ounces at a time, max, limit to one or two pieces of fruit, and as much green veg as you want). You'll be ripped in no time. Congrats on your progress to date, and good luck!

One more note: Eat the yolks in eggs! They're extremely nutritious and the study that linked eggs to high cholesterol in the past has recently been debunked. It was done in the 1950s with a dried 'egg substitute product', not even with real eggs. Eating 2-3 hardboiled eggs with a little salt and pepper and some raw veggies is another awesome meal.
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

Low fat Cheese should be better than Cottage Cheese in terms of fat levels and protein content.
Athene
REGULAR

Post by Athene »

Boss Man wrote:Low fat Cheese should be better than Cottage Cheese in terms of fat levels and protein content.
Good point - they're pretty close:

2% Cottage Cheese
(1/2 cup serving)
105 calories
2.5 g fat
5 g carbs
15 g protein

Low Fat Cheese (Cheddar or Colby)
(1 slice serving)
48 calories
2 g fat
1 g carb
6.8 g protein

You get more calories with the cheese if you want a 30 g protein serving, but it's not like 100-200 calories for protein in a meal is a bad thing. I find cottage cheese to be quite a bit cheaper than low fat cheese, so I guess that's why it's go-to.