Protein shakes

Discuss anything related to dieting, nutrition, recipes and food facts.

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

Sallyd
STARTING OUT

Protein shakes

Post by Sallyd »

Hello
After a little break at Xmas when I went away to work with husband and now I'm back in the gym . husband saw the difference in body , after just 4 weeks of resistance training so I was really pleased .
Anyway , he's now back as work has finished and he joined me in the gym and loved it , which is great as its been 25 years since he was last in the gym
He's decided to loose weight and train too :clap:
We're looking at whey protein shakes and protein shakes for him but it's all very confusing . He needs shakes without carbs as his diet is very low carb and high protein , his carbs should come from salad and veg not shakes .
Can anyone recommend a brand that can be ordered on the net that's not the most expensive but still quality for him to order ?
We live in Spain so may need to ship from uk
Many Thanks
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Re: Protein shakes

Post by Boss Man »

Avoid the pricey ones with loads of ingredients as you don't need one of those.

Also why the low carb diet? Low carb diets have been shown to not work too well, so what premeditates his need for low carb?
Sallyd
STARTING OUT

Post by Sallyd »

The low carb diet is the only one that actually worked for him in the past .
He's 46 , 189cm and 103 kilos . About 10 years ago he was 113 kilos and after failing to loose weight on conventional diets he went on the asking for 4 months or so and lost 23 kilos . Over the years it's gone back on and he's tried cutting back but he doesn't loose weight easily . He's a water sports fan , does a lot of windsurfing but this time he wants to get the weight off , continue in the gym and keep his weight to below 93kg .
I think the main problem is portion control really as he likes rice pasta and all the carbs in bigger quantities that his body burns . With the high protein diet he cuts out rice , pasta , bread and potatoes and the larger quantity of protein keep him satisfied and full feeling .
I on the other hand need carbs .
maxnout
STARTING OUT

Post by maxnout »

a good low calorie protein is gold standard whey from optimum nutrition
mikey88
STARTING OUT

Post by mikey88 »

MyProtein brand is really good value and you can buy pure whey with no flavorings or additives. I buy this and add bananas to it for a smoothie it's great :clap:
WilliamYoung
STARTING OUT

Post by WilliamYoung »

I found the whey protein the best one with no flavouring, then you can add various fruits yourself to make the shakes, just gives you a bit more choice.
Ashy123
STARTING OUT

Post by Ashy123 »

The best protein powder is one with few ingredients. Look for artificial colours, flavours and sweeteners. I try to stick to ones that are sweetened with stevia (personal preference) and only flavoured with natural ingredients such as vanilla, cacao etc. You may find this useful https://blog.dukesgym.com.au/blog/shoul ... in-shakes/
You can get all your protein requirements from your diet without shakes but they are great from a convenience point of view.
Ethan1122
STARTING OUT

Post by Ethan1122 »

This antagonistic change in body structure can be mostly impeded, forestalled or switched with a blend of quality preparing and sufficient eating routine, quality preparing combined with the utilization of high protein sustenance or protein supplements has been appeared to be a successful preventive methodology...

We know what we are, but know not what we may be
GreenSuede33
STARTING OUT

Post by GreenSuede33 »

A little late to this one, but I wanted to...whey in with own $0.2c here! I'm a big fan of PSWhey. None of the unnecessary ingredients or partial proteins that most of the other brands pack their products full of. I've been using it for 6+ months now and love it / never had an issue. Highly recommend.
Robinio
STARTING OUT

Post by Robinio »

I've tried a few shakes in time, and it really does depend on what you're looking to achieve.

I only bought Myprotein once, and never again! It is cheap, but I found the flavours terrible. If you are going to go with Myprotein for your shakes, check out this awesome poll on which sought out the best flavours. To be fair, I only tried their casein protein, but the whey must be better, given the popularity:

https://www..com/r/Fitness/commen ... myprotein/

Optimum Nutrition is a little more expensive, but people do like the flavour, and I found it to be quite nice, although a little "thin" to drink.

PHD Diet Whey is another popular one. The protein % is less than other brands at around, but is definitely one of the tastier options.

As Boss Man says, ones with loads of ingredients are best to avoid, unless you know exactly what you need. If looking for an All in one (which tend to contain most of the supplements people look for when building muscle, such as creatine, glutamine, vitamins etc) Reflex Nutrition do a great product called One Stop Xtreme.

It can all be a little confusing, so you can use sites to compare the ingredients side by side - I find it quite helpful:

https://www.fitness-savvy.co.uk/product ... s/protein/

P.S, admin, I tried clicking on the link earlier on in this thread and it said it was a deceptive site - so not sure if you want to check that out as it might be spam...
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

If a link tells your computer that it's a decepticve site, then it wouldn't be down to a spam risk, but your firewall or virus checker warning you of a possible but not definite risk of your computer veing infected with a virus or some kind of malware or spyware.

Spam is only spam in mind, if internet forum, blog and guestbook posts or emails to a server, relate to for profit products and services that are promoted to users in a way that is unsolicited and has not been permitted before transmission of the content.
RandolphRay
STARTING OUT

Post by RandolphRay »

As I understand it, many have this problem. Protein is better to eat with food, without additives, but if there is not enough time, it's a good supplement. I can recommend you to read this one https://gym-expert.com/best-protein-powder/ I have been using supplements for many years, but it's individual.