Achilles Issue? (Beginner)

The ideal place to discuss running or ways to start. Anything from clothing, equipment, technique and race meets goes.

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

calisthenicswill
STARTING OUT

Achilles Issue? (Beginner)

Post by calisthenicswill »

Hi, hopefully this is the right place to post this.

I'm 27 and I've been pretty sedentary for a quite awhile (being a lazy student) and having recently finished, I decided about 4 weeks ago to get back into shape. I started off on an exercise bike for 2 weeks working way from 6k to 20k in 1 and a bit weeks, and last week I decided that I'd get back on the treadmill because I've always loved the idea of going out in the sun for a run.

I started off doing walk/run at 1 minute intervals, then worked way up to 5 minute walking, and the rest jogging/running for a mile in a few days without no breaks in between. I was really happy at this because I never thought I could go as long without taking breaks and thought I was either fitter than I thought or the bike helped a lot. About last Wednesday up until now I've been doing 5 minutes walking, and the rest jogging/running for up to 2 miles with no breaks. I'm doing this quite comfortably and could go longer, but I've been feeling aches at the back of heel and after doing a Google search, I think it could be an Achilles problem. It doesn't hurt once I get into a the jogging/running, but walking the rest of the day you can feel a bit of pain, but nothing serious.

I'm just wondering what I should do about it? From reading beginner cycling/running routines online, it looks like I'm pushing myself more than they suggest, but I feel fit enough to do 2 miles or more every morning and the only issue being the pain on Achilles area. I've bought some new running shoes; Adidas Slingshot which were reasonably priced for a beginner and feel sturdy and more supportive than last pair (haven't ran yet), I've started to stretch a bit more before going on the treadmill and throughout the days (calf raises, etc.) but the pain is still there.

I really don't want to stop and rest for a few days until it gets better unless there's absolutely no other way to solve it because I'm really enjoying waking up early and doing what I'm doing at the minute, and I'd hate to lose any progress I've worked for because I feel I could reach 5 miles with no breaks in the next week or so. Could it even be something as simple as "growing pains" because all this running/jogging is new to body and it'll eventually ease on its own?

Thanks.
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Re: Achilles Issue? (Beginner)

Post by Boss Man »

Hi Will good to speak to you.

You need to be careful when running to make sure the technique is and that you don't heel striker as that could lead to shin splints.

As for the type of shoes, it depends to an extent on your running style; pronated, where the ankle rolls inwards; supinated where it rolls outwards and also the neutral style.

Problems with the achillies, plantar fasciitis, metatarsal issues and other minor foot issues can be related to weight concerns, not just running or exercise technique, but you didn't say you have a serious weight issue so I'm assuming you don't.

You may also be going at a fairly quick pace, so you might be wise to slow the pace down a bit for 3-4 weeks depending on how fast you're setting the machine up and see how that pans out.

Are you using an incline to run on, or a setting that varies the incline?
calisthenicswill
STARTING OUT

Thanks for the reply.

No weight problem, I was starting to feel a tiny bit of pain before I got on the treadmill to begin with after 2 weeks of the bike. That's why I don't really want to stop for a few days, in case it's just body getting used to these exercises. I was going on an incline, but I changed it back to just a flat surface this week on a jog to see how that helps.
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

It might have been the incline that was partly or solely to blame for your niggle(s), so hopefully you might alleviate the issue(s), by running on a flat belt, rather than an inclined one :).
calisthenicswill
STARTING OUT

I've decided to have a few days rest and see how that helps. I enjoy the running and there's no real pain while running, but it isn't worth it if I'll be limping the rest of the day I suppose. Planning on resting until Monday and see how it feels then, or jump back into it if it feels better before then. I think more stretching before and after is a must, and I've also bought some RDX ankle braces that supposedly help with supporting the Achilles area. I haven't had proper rest in about a month from the bike/treadmill, so maybe as a beginner it's what's needed (unfortunately).
calisthenicswill
STARTING OUT

So, I couldn't wait until Monday. I got back on the treadmill on Wednesday and again on Thursday, and heel feels the best it's been for a long time. I've no idea what helped, the only thing I can think of is better footwear. I'm still half assing stretching which is a bit stupid. Does anyone have any recommended stretches to do before and after running? Especially areas around the achilles, etc.
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

Not especially, but you can do ankle rotations and the usual sorts of things like kicking the legs out as few times as well.

Some people also like to do things like flamingo stretch and hamstring stretches where you sit down and extend the legs and try to touch the toes, as well as single leg raises