FAT@! $Tried EVERYTHING!

Discuss tips and advice for losing body fat.

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

Bamadoc
STARTING OUT

FAT@! $Tried EVERYTHING!

Post by Bamadoc »

Ok, I can't think of much else to try. I'm a 36 yr old female that is 5'3" and 129lbs at around 28% body fat. I work with a trainer 2x/week for 45 min for the last 2 months. I average 15-20 miles a week running. I am pleased with everything in that I have gained muscle, endurance, strength, but I can't shake the flabby stomach and that is what I care most about. I have had an issue with thyroid over the last few months, but I have adjusted medication to be within normal levels. I am following up on blood work to make sure thyroid is stable. We shall see. As far as diet here are last calorie counts and calories burned over the last few weeks.

Daily calorie intake/calories burned daily exercising:
1.2024/1105. 5. 1484/419. 9.1258/0
2. 2188/791. 6. 2192/1100. 10. 1302/0
3.1350/0. 7. 2369/593. 11. 1318
4. 1598. 8.1379/0. 12. 2120/1009

I am willing to do whatever, and I would appreciate any advice. I will say that things I have just changed in the last two weeks that might still need more time to see the benefits. I have gotten out of doing three 6mile runs a week at slow steady pace along with 2 workouts with trainer to now doing one 6 mile steady run, one long 10 mile endurance run, and one HIIT session a week. I appreciate any of you that read all of that. :mrgreen:
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Re: FAT@! $Tried EVERYTHING!

Post by Boss Man »

Hi Bamadoc, good to talk to you.

If I read it right, many days of your recent caloric ingestion fell below 1,600 calories and that might have been having a negative effect on fat loss and your BMR, Basal Metabolic Rate, the minimum level of calories needed daily to sustain a healthy metabolism in the long-term.

Adult females need around 1,800 calories when sedentary and 5 out of the 12 days you seem to be exceeding this, so that's good for exercise days, but if you under-eat, you can get something called a starvation mode, where the body clings onto fat because it thinks it's being starved.

So you might be wise to look at all the days where your calories went below 1,500 and consider increasing those totals by 50%.

CONGRATULATIONS on progress so far and try not to worry too much okay :)
Bamadoc
STARTING OUT

Post by Bamadoc »

Thanks for your quick response. Should I gradually increase calories over a period of time...or just do it? I thought this might be what is going on. How long does it typically take to ramp metabolism back up to normal? Thanks again!
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

Your metabolism, isn't necessarily harmed in any way, but the increases would be best immediately.

As for the days when you ate 2,000+ calories, no need to adjust those I feel.
Bamadoc
STARTING OUT

Post by Bamadoc »

Also, since I have been putting on muscle, I have been thinking it wouldn't be a starvation mode issue...but it appears I am wrong on that.
Bamadoc
STARTING OUT

Post by Bamadoc »

The thing that is confusing me is there are several reputably TDEE calculators putting me at a 2000 calorie maintenance, therefore it is calculating me have a 20% reduction of around 1600 to achieve desired weight gain. When I average all of the daily calorie intakes that I listed, it gives me 1700 calories on average eaten daily. That shoud be perfect...not a number that is putting me into a starvation mode situation. I have been reading and reading, and I can't find good literature. Any suggestions on reading material or suggestions on what I might can do to lose this last ten pounds. Thanks!
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

No actual suggestions, I'm afraid.
Bamadoc
STARTING OUT

Post by Bamadoc »

Ha. Well, there you go. Bossman, thanks for your help. From brief skimming of these threads, it is good you are here as there aren't all that many other posters. Thanks again, and I will keep on doing what I can. Thanks again.