Sleeping on Stomach

Discuss how to get ripped abs here.

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

nikban
STARTING OUT

Sleeping on Stomach

Post by nikban »

I read somewhere that sleeping on your stomach contributes to weak abdominal muscles....

Is this true?! I sure hope not, as I can only sleep on stomach!
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

Possible.

If you think about it, your Abs would get squashed a bit by the weight of your Back, which could theoretically hinder any Abdominal development, where this theory to be so.
quickness
STARTING OUT

Post by quickness »

oh wow you can't be serious. I heard sleeping on the back helps the spine straighten increasing posture. but I have never heard of this. I hope this is wrong because I sleep on side or stomach all the titme
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

On the side would be fine, as any compression on the Abs is alieviated, though sleeping on the Back could be more optimal.

If you have Back problems however, the Foetus position is recommended, as you can gently curl the Spine a bit, not lengthen it, which takes some possible compression off it, which can occur from it being fully lengthened, or from lying directly on it.
swanso5
VETERAN

Post by swanso5 »

sleeping on stomach putys your back into hyperextension which is BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAD...don't sleep this way too much if you can help it...

sleeping on back is good for some and bad for others...if you have excessive posteriour tilt where your arse sticks up behind you (check your undie line and if it tilts down from low back down to thighs than you have it) than it isn't good either so place a pillow under your knees

sleeping on the side is probably the best way to go where you have 1 knee raised up but place a pillow under this knee so your not twisting the spine for 8hrs at a time
fitnesssarah
STARTING OUT

Post by fitnesssarah »

sleeping on your stomach is really bad for your back! I sleep on tummy and in the morning I wake up and lower baqck is outta whack!
Can't help it though!
SarahPT
REGULAR

Post by SarahPT »

Yeah I always wind up sleeping on stomach. Thoough sleeping on back always gives me neck pain. Can't help it, sleeping on the tummy is so much more comfortable!
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

I have tried once or twice on the Stomach, but it made no sense, as you can't like with your Face straight down, it hurts things like your Nose, so you bend your Neck one way or the other, so your head is sideways, which logically could slightly contort the upper Vertebrae, when the rest of your spine is pretty flat and elongated.
kcb
SOCIAL CLIMBER

Post by kcb »

How can you breathe when your on your stomach? It crushes chest whenever I lay on stomach and makes it incredibly difficult to breathe :shock:
Benjamin
STARTING OUT

Post by Benjamin »

Not just hurting things on your face bossman, occasionally if your at ripe age other things too, I usually end up in the foetus position, tbh i have a six pack and i still ocasionally lie on stomach, it cant make too much difference as long as you watch what you eat and do the correct excercies...honestly?
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

It's not too bad, but think of it like this. You don't lie on your Stomach, then squash your Nose and Face into the pillow, as that could restrict your breathing, so most people would tilt their Heads one way or the other.

This means if you have your Back straight like that, then tilt your Head, you end up potentially contorting one or more of the Vertebrae in the Neck and upper Back, which can't be good in the long term. At least not to way of thinking anyway.
DogNamedKat
STARTING OUT

Re: Sleeping on Stomach

Post by DogNamedKat »

Ok the abs thing is wrong. I may not have super toned abs but they are rock hard and i only sleep on stomach. The problem is when i sleep on back spine curves up and causes me to almost suffocate and if I sleep on side I simply roll over onto stomach. I can deal with pain in the morning but dying is something I cant deal with. As you can see I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place. Any tips for those who say sleeping on your stomach is bad?