cottage cheese as protein source... good or bad?

Discuss anything related to dieting, nutrition, recipes and food facts.

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

cassiegose
VETERAN

cottage cheese as protein source... good or bad?

Post by cassiegose »

Whats your opinion on cottage cheese? I don't eat a ton of meat (besides chicken and some fish) and I was getting the majority of protein from eggwhites and low fat cottage cheese. I've heard good and bad things about cottage cheese... I'm wondering if this is a good source of protein or not?

Bossman... You've suggested to numerous people that they replace cottage cheese with low fat cheese. Why is this?

thanks!
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

Low Fat Cheese contains 50 / 50 Saturate / Unsaturate content.

Unsaturates contribute to removal of Saturates and other healthy physical functions, like Brain, mind functions etc etc.

Also Unsaturates shouldn't contain Nitrogen, Saturates do, which means Saturates will end up having their Nitrogen converted to Uric Acid, a toxin, that can buildup in the Kidneys, and can be associated in later adult life with Gout, (buildup of UC around the joints).

As Protein is Nitrogen containing also, To eat Saturates in the levels gives you, encourages a goodly amount of N to UC conversion from the Protein and Fats.

As mentioned on your last post about diet, you were eating 3 amounts of daily. I consider this too much, and accordingly suggested eating none, just because of the above reasons, and also is Casein rich, and Casein is 8 calories per gram, not 4 like most other Protein sources, so having too much left over Protein, coupled with additional Protein in a following meal, means possible wastage of Nutrients, by giving the body too much Protein to deal with, when your body doesn't need it, well not unless you were a 180+ lb BB, in which case he might need large Protein amounts daily, you wouldn't, and especially not left over stuff digesting with fresh.

Low Fat Cheese could be an option but only in 1 meal a day, or a now and again thing, although as you'll see I negated that option in last response to you :).
Last edited by Boss Man on Thu May 15, 2008 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cassiegose
VETERAN

Thanks!

Post by cassiegose »

Hey thanks alot for your advice! Very helpful!
RMorrison
STARTING OUT

Post by RMorrison »

I eat 1/4 to 1/5 cup at night, about 30mins to an hour before bed. I am 5' 10" fairly well built , trying to gain muscle and lose a bit of fat. What do ya think of this? Still trade in for low fat cheese? the is so tempting cause of the protein content vs. fat and carbs (and tasty too).
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

Go for low Fat, just to take some of the Nitrogen to Uric Acid conversion from regular , out of the equation.
JamesAndrew
STARTING OUT

Cottage Cheese

Post by JamesAndrew »

Hey i love cottage cheese. It is made from skim milk to which some cream and salt are added. Cottage cheese is low in fat and calories and high in protein, vitamins and calcium,

Plus it also comes without weblinks
foxeg15
STARTING OUT

Post by foxeg15 »

is the best protein source out there by food its awsome and has 12 grams a protein in a half of cup..... i always add peaches in slpenda to mine its an awsome pre workout boost as well as before bed!!
foxeg15
STARTING OUT

Post by foxeg15 »

In general i was just saying for a half a cup 12 grams of protein is pretty good ...! ... Everyone has there own protien source that works for them but snack wise you cant beat it ...! its not a solid form of protiein but its def high up there... For best protein source your guna always be going with the lean meats AlWAYS... u cant beat it ...
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

The only thing you might find adding Peaches to , is the Peaches having difficulty digesting, as most Fruits aren't too compatible with other foods. It impedes their digestion.