Aitrus' Very Generic Training Journal

Post your workout journals so others can review your training and follow your progress!

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

Aitrus
SOCIAL CLIMBER

Aitrus' Very Generic Training Journal

Post by Aitrus »

A little bit of preamble to begin...
I bought a curl bar and a multi purpose incl/decl bench with attached leg extension and lat pulldown bar in Jun of 08... Something to get me started I guess. I had never touched weights in life, and was beginning at a modest 60lb bench press.

After realizing the futility of working out at home on a very restricted budget, I decided to make use of school's facilities. Free gym, why not?

Began a very general program on July 20th to increase fitness level because I was, and still am not, very strong.

In about a two month span I've moved from 60lb bench to 115, have a DL of 140 a squat of 160, barbell row of 100, shoulder press at 110 and am doing dips less 40lbs of body weight and pullups less 50lbs of bodyweight.

I am currently using the stronglifts 5x5 workout with some additional exercises implemented (power cleans, for example, are used in place of squats now once a week on DL day). I plan to provide updates every few weeks when I'm able and to..

Currently I stand 5ft9in and 174lbs and as of August 20 numbers are as follows:

115 bench 5rm
160 squat 5rm
140 DL 5rm
pullup minus 50lbs of bodyweight 10rm

I dont think I've hit a ceiling yet with training, so these numbers should be going up a bunch in the weeks to come (Yes, I say this with fingers crossed!).. The numbers are obviously not in kG; though maybe someday.

As for diet, I eat regularly and I eat a lot... People tell me I pretty much consume own body weight in food every day, and I try to eat as well as I can..

I guess that is all for now eh! :)
Last edited by Aitrus on Wed Aug 20, 2008 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
swanso5
VETERAN

Post by swanso5 »

you only need to really know how much wt you can do for deads, squats, bench and chins...focus on these 4 mainly
DianaB
REGULAR

Post by DianaB »

This should be interesting, some one who doesn't aspire to look like Brad Pitt in Fight Club at least...
Cut out the assisted pull-ups and just use your BW. You can train your chins/pull-ups by doing negatives every other session. Use a slow rate of contraction on the negs, a four count is good.
Do you know how to clean properly? It's always good to get a lesson or 2 from a strength coach on any power lifts, just for safety if you have any doubts.
Here is a vid of a friend of mine rocking out some cleans supersetted with serratus crunches. Her form is pretty good, I'd like to see a bit more of an arch but her elbow placement is A+.
http://media.putfile.com/complex-86
And for anyone reading this who is looking at fat loss, this girl was about 3 months post partum in this vid. She trained this way for about 4 months and dropped ALL her baby fat, plus built some amazing muscle on the way. No cardio to speak of, just heavy weights and clean eating.
davecw
STARTING OUT

Post by davecw »

I dont even want to know who you aspire to look like!
DianaB
REGULAR

Post by DianaB »

davecw wrote:I dont even want to know who you aspire to look like!
I'd like you to clarify that comment.
There are a lot of myths about women who power lift.
Aitrus
SOCIAL CLIMBER

Post by Aitrus »

DianaB wrote:This should be interesting, some one who doesn't aspire to look like Brad Pitt in Fight Club at least...
Cut out the assisted pull-ups and just use your BW. You can train your chins/pull-ups by doing negatives every other session. Use a slow rate of contraction on the negs, a four count is good.
Do you know how to clean properly? It's always good to get a lesson or 2 from a strength coach on any power lifts, just for safety if you have any doubts.
Here is a vid of a friend of mine rocking out some cleans supersetted with serratus crunches. Her form is pretty good, I'd like to see a bit more of an arch but her elbow placement is A+.
http://media.putfile.com/complex-86
And for anyone reading this who is looking at fat loss, this girl was about 3 months post partum in this vid. She trained this way for about 4 months and dropped ALL her baby fat, plus built some amazing muscle on the way. No cardio to speak of, just heavy weights and clean eating.
Well, firstly.. brad pitt had horrible teeth in fight club - definitely rewatched this movie last week for the first time since its release and he had an uber-snaggletooth.

I'm doing negs now, but it still feels weird to only rep three or four pullups.

I have also dropped DL weight to the bar+10s on either side so I get the technique perfect as I'd noticed lower back was a bit more sore than I thought it should be - so I am reading and watching videos to improve technique.

I dunno how to clean properly so I still haven't had the chance to add them to routine because I have nobody to show me the ropes.. so I'm reading/video watching & soon to start doing empty bar reps.

When you say strength coach.. I assume you do not mean trainer? How do I find someone who could assist me with lifts (I am on a strict budget)?
DianaB
REGULAR

Post by DianaB »

Fight Club:
http://entimg.msn.com/i/BradPitt/FIGHT_CLUB_300x298.jpg
Gladiator:
http://www.cinemafusion.com/images/uplo ... ttTroy.JPG

Overall he's still too girly though, IMO.

Finding a good coach is going to depend on where you look. Try a real gym, not a general fitness facility. If you want to learn the explosive techniques of oly lifting, try your local colleges or universities. Most have weightlifting clubs that are open to anyone. We have a local university that trains 3 times a week and costs $200 a year, less if you are student in any school. Or look for a power lifting gym. If you just want a lesson or 2, some coaches will take you on for an hourly rate. I'm warning you though, it's addictive.

Practice cleans in the rack with the bar. The girl in the vid I posted taught herself in a few weeks time. A camera is your best friend, you can review your lifts and see what the issues are after training.

Be sure you lean back on your initial pull with the weight on your heels. Take off your shoes and do them barefoot if you can. I'm deadlifting tomorrow and I'll post some videos, if form doesn't disintegrate all the hell.
swanso5
VETERAN

Post by swanso5 »

she seems to do a "double" pull too if you can see what i mean

definatley not enough "thrusting" action which will limit how much wt she can lift doing more an upright row type movement with a little leg asistance

she also seems to catch it a bit low too don't you think which comes from the above mentioned flaw...

even though i love a chick who cleans
DianaB
REGULAR

Post by DianaB »

The first pull is to the hip, that's pretty much normal when you are learning to clean, in fact, it's re-enforced. When you see a real experienced lifter, that part is usually fast enough that you don't notice it. I'm not sure what you mean by an upright row though. The hand position isn't even close.
To add weight, there needs to be more explosion, but this is a beginner who is self taught for this lift, although she did get a sign off from one of the best oly lifters for technique that I know of.
That said, she is (was) a beginner, and not practicing oly lifts (aside from the basic clean) in her training. Technique and speed improves with time, or it doesn't, really depends on the person. The problem with watching vids of an seasoned oly lifter is that the movements are so fast it's almost impossible to see the steps taken in execution.
Aitrus
SOCIAL CLIMBER

Post by Aitrus »

DianaB wrote:Fight Club:
http://entimg.msn.com/i/BradPitt/FIGHT_CLUB_300x298.jpg
Gladiator:
http://www.cinemafusion.com/images/uplo ... ttTroy.JPG

Overall he's still too girly though, IMO.

Finding a good coach is going to depend on where you look. Try a real gym, not a general fitness facility. If you want to learn the explosive techniques of oly lifting, try your local colleges or universities. Most have weightlifting clubs that are open to anyone. We have a local university that trains 3 times a week and costs $200 a year, less if you are student in any school. Or look for a power lifting gym. If you just want a lesson or 2, some coaches will take you on for an hourly rate. I'm warning you though, it's addictive.

Practice cleans in the rack with the bar. The girl in the vid I posted taught herself in a few weeks time. A camera is your best friend, you can review your lifts and see what the issues are after training.

Be sure you lean back on your initial pull with the weight on your heels. Take off your shoes and do them barefoot if you can. I'm deadlifting tomorrow and I'll post some videos, if form doesn't disintegrate all the hell.
I do work out at university, free of charge with the exorbidant amount of tuition payed every year..

I am going to attempt empty bar power cleans tomorrow/copy your friends form when I go in if its not too busy, see how it goes. I don't really have a camera to record lifts, so..

Am also slowly trying to work up the courage to ask some of the big lifters for advice/critiques.
Aitrus
SOCIAL CLIMBER

Post by Aitrus »

Just a small update but I am now squatting 195, pullupX7, bench is 130. Will have updated numbers for deadlift this weekend. Have also been working hang clean/power press in an effort to dichotomize and understand the power clean.
DianaB
REGULAR

Post by DianaB »

Pull up unassisted right?
Your on your way. Good that you are sticking to it, have you asked some of the more experienced guys for help or advice yet?
130 on the bench is that for 5 or 1 rep?
Aitrus
SOCIAL CLIMBER

Post by Aitrus »

DianaB wrote:Pull up unassisted right?
Your on your way. Good that you are sticking to it, have you asked some of the more experienced guys for help or advice yet?
130 on the bench is that for 5 or 1 rep?
5reps for 130 on bench...

Yeah I am asking readily for advice at every opportunity.

And ya, unassisted pullups now.

*edit*
As some days I feel the need to add in exercise for specifically for triceps or biceps/etc.. rarely if ever do I feel I need extra leg/back or chest work though. I'm wondering how long I should stay on this program and what variations I should have in work out... I know it only promotes a few key exercises, but I can't imagine that is all I will ever need (who knows, maybe it is).

I've also noticed I get really nauseated when I do squats/dl/clean at a heavy weight... Is there anything I can do to reduce this?

So I'm almost at the eight week mark of the 5x5 and am going to just ask... I am noticing a LOT of gains in strength, obviously.. but physique is still kinda.. well.. lacking? Is there anything more I could/should be doing?
e.g. Do I continue lifting, get as strong as I can.. and then go into a cut phase(whatever that means, I'm just inferring that it's something to do with fat loss to make your physique pop)?
Christopheel
REGULAR

Post by Christopheel »

You look like someone who just needs to eat big. That's the missing part I believe.

For nausea, a better breathing, can you take a video ? We can help you then.

Cut phase (Reducing ) is for women or really fat men, eat food, lift the heavy barbell.

For your program, are you gaining ? are getting stronger ? If yes then stick to it.
Aitrus
SOCIAL CLIMBER

Post by Aitrus »

Christopheel wrote:You look like someone who just needs to eat big. That's the missing part I believe.

For nausea, a better breathing, can you take a video ? We can help you then.

Cut phase (Reducing ) is for women or really fat men, eat food, lift the heavy barbell.

For your program, are you gaining ? are getting stronger ? If yes then stick to it.
I eat.. BELIEVE me when I tell you I eat.. Today thus far...
Breakfast-> whey shake with 2cups of milk, 1cup berries + 3eggs scrambled with cheese
Midmorn snack-> handfull of cashews (or something similar)
Lunch-> Whole grain sandwich, turkey or chicken
Afternoon Snack-> 1/2c vanilla yogurt with fruit OR bread+peanutbutter
Dinner-> 2 sirloin burgers on whole grain buns with a mandarin orange salad and some grilled veggies
and I'll definitely eat again before bed. Probably some tortillas+guacamole or something.. Meh!

This is just an outline... but I pretty much eat similarly to this every day(some days a great deal better, others a bit worse).. Dunno what calorie consumption is, but it keeps me full.

And ya, getting stronger steadily.. but not sure what to make of it.. I want to get a lot stronger than I am currently... probably 100lbs to each of lifts(currently) will make me satisfied, but I also want to get ripped abs and a really cut back/chest.. and I'm wondering how long that may take :D