180+ lbs to 127 lbs

Post your photos and show everyone the progress you have made with your physique!

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

aarie
STARTING OUT

180+ lbs to 127 lbs

Post by aarie »

180 lbs
160 lbs
145 lbs
135 lbs

127 lbs

The first picture was taken May 2007 and the last picture was taken 2 days ago.
brianDAhawaiian
STARTING OUT

Post by brianDAhawaiian »

Wow!! great job, looking great!
If I may ask, what is your diet like and what kind of training do you do?

bRiAn
aarie
STARTING OUT

Post by aarie »

Thanks!

Lost all of that by eating fewer calories. I still ate foods that I like, but in smaller portions. I did pretty much eliminate fast food and soda though. I kept calorie goal around 1200-1400 per day. A typical day for me would look something like this:

Breakfast -
Protein bar
Naked juice

Morning Snack -
String cheese

Lunch -
Turkey & provolone sandwich on wheat bread
Cottage cheese

Afternoon Snack -
Banana

Dinner -
2 slices thin crust pizza
Side salad
Glass of milk

As far as physical activity, I just tried to be more active. I took walks a couple times per week, went golfing, started mowing the lawn every week (previously husband did all the mowing)

Recently I've started cooking more and trying to make healthier things for dinner. I've also focused more on getting to the gym, but so far it's only been a couple weeks I've consistently gone. At the gym I do about 30 minutes of cardio (intervals) and then about 30 minutes of weight lifting. 3x per week. Nothing major.
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

First off, Brilliant job, you look superb :).

Secondly your calories are too low, especially for exercise. You're potentially losing muscle too. You should be in the region of 1,500-1,800 just being sedentary. For activity more ariound 2,000, 2,100 for basic levels of activity. 1,200 -1,400 is not high enough per day.
aarie wrote:
Breakfast -
Protein bar
Naked juice

(I have no idea what that last thing is, but I think that isn't too bad although I'd prefer perhaps something like Whole-grain Cereal, and maybe some Egg Whites, or a bit of Chicken perhaps. I don't think P B's should be used as a main meal, though I don't really condone, or condem their use.)

Morning Snack -
String cheese

(This is too low calorie, and might have more Saturates in than needs be. You could change this for Low Fat Cheese, as that's Protein rich, even about 80g, has some good Fat, a bit of Saturate, and around 20g Protein, 100g, is about 26g Protein. Then just add stuff in like Whole-grain Bread, and Tomato say, as a Carb booster, or have some kind of Chicken or Turkey sandwhich perhaps, with things like Lettuce, Tomato, Cucumber if you wish, but those calories are too low.

Could add a few nuts for Fats, but be aware of Cashews as they contain Carbs, so factor that in if you go for a Nut inclusion.)

Lunch -
Turkey & provolone sandwich on wheat bread
Cottage cheese

(I'd switch this again for Low Fat Cheese, again you can go with the Sandwhich option, or go for Turkey / Chicken and Veggies, may be abit of Pasta for Carbs or reduce the Turkey or Chicken and add some Protein back, with Carbs too from things like Rice, Beans, Peas or Lentils as examples.

Could have a Fish option if you're able, but not Tuna, except every 2-3 days max. the Mercury content isn't great)

Afternoon Snack -
Banana

(Don't need Fruit here. Some Fruit Fructose converts to Fat in the Liver, and you'd be better off with other Carb sources, like Veggies, Whole-grain etc etc. Alternatively Rice has Carbs and a bit of Protein, then boost up Protein with a main source.)

Dinner -
2 slices thin crust pizza
Side salad
Glass of milk

(That's not really doing you favours the Pizza. You can get around the problem though, by using some Wholegrain Bread, putting Low Fat Cheese on it, and adding other stuff like Mushrooms, Tomato, Ham, and grilling it. Lower in Fat, better way to cook it.

Also of course you have options like Lean Meat, Fish, Soy occasionally, Lean Poultry, doubled up with Pasta sometimes or Veggies for Carbs, or reduce the Protein and Carb options a bit, and add the Rice, Peas, Beans or Lentils options in as well, so you're getting in that second example, a main Protein source, a main Carb source, and a combi source to boost both.)

You could also have another small meal aout 2 hours after this one. Just a small amount of Protein and Carbs, possibly a small portion of baked Beans, or some slices of Turkey, and Raw Carrot perhaps, and could have some Nut options as well maybe, so a possible thought for you.)

swanso5
VETERAN

Post by swanso5 »

simply outstanding, really it is
aarie
STARTING OUT

Post by aarie »

I lost the weight with pretty much diet alone. BMR is about 1400 and I have a desk job. I suppose it's also worth noting that I have hypothyroidism (I actually had thyroid completely removed) so metabolism may be on the slower side anyway.

I'm now eating 1600-1800 calories per day though with the exercise. I'm just now starting to get into working out.

Thanks for the comments on diet.
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

Hypothyroid that's tough, yeah so you obviously will have problems Metabolising things, but I'm sure with the increased Calories you'll get it sorted.

The Thyroid is a pesky devil, it's like a computer. Great when it works, not great when it doesn't :shock: .

Good luck, and don't worry too much for now about calories, or workouts, just make some simple changes, focus on getting them right, then refine, and alter as and when necessary.

For now it's about getting a solid workout and diet framework in place, that you can tweak later on if needs be :).
rynuku
SOCIAL CLIMBER

Post by rynuku »

wow! great job. i really wish i would have taken pics like that to track progress...ur living proof that making a commitment pays off!
RMorrison
STARTING OUT

Post by RMorrison »

Seriously fantastic work.
juan92
HIGH FLYER

Post by juan92 »

congratu-freakin-lations!!!!!!

:D :D :D :D
cassiegose
VETERAN

Post by cassiegose »

WOW! GREAT JOB!!! You're hard work and dedication has really paid off! You should be VERY proud of your progress and success!
HOUSTON TEXAN
REGULAR

Post by HOUSTON TEXAN »

Great job, keep it up.
lobstersabatin
STARTING OUT

wow

Post by lobstersabatin »

now you give hope how long did it take u to lose it? :D
aarie
STARTING OUT

Post by aarie »

I've been working on this since May 2007 :) It took a year for me to lose 50 lbs.
vamp
VETERAN

Post by vamp »

3 cheers for Aarie!!!

Great job hun, you're making me jealous! Actually you're enticing me to work harder!

You are and inspiration and I wish you the best getting the excercise routine going and the continued healthy lifestyle.

You look amazing! (and younger than you did too!)

Cheers