Aitrus' Very Generic Training Journal

Post your workout journals so others can review your training and follow your progress!

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

Aitrus
SOCIAL CLIMBER

Post by Aitrus »

I finally got around to the deadlift this morning; 5x200lb was the maximum weight I reached. Not to mention muscles were on fire the whole time. I think I can definitely lift more, though.

Also noticed a really horrible imbalance on bench press when I tried to lift. One side of body seems to be significantly stronger than the other so I did DB bench press today @ 45/45lb
vamp
VETERAN

Post by vamp »

It's good to work Barbells to see the imbalances and to work them. Lift to your weaker side on these imbalances and they will get better. Everyone has a strength difference from side to side, weak side is left.

Cheers
DianaB
REGULAR

Post by DianaB »

Get some one to watch you bench and try to determine if it's your shoulder or tricep that's giving out. Normally the tri will give out around your sticking point if it's weak. Once you know the issue, you can do some extra work to correct it. Are you doing dips at all?
DBs are a good idea, I always have a DB press added in for accessory work.
Aitrus
SOCIAL CLIMBER

Post by Aitrus »

DianaB wrote:Get some one to watch you bench and try to determine if it's your shoulder or tricep that's giving out. Normally the tri will give out around your sticking point if it's weak. Once you know the issue, you can do some extra work to correct it. Are you doing dips at all?
I was doing dips assisted dips a while back, but havent done them for a while now. I am going to stick with DBs for a little bit on chest now... and I guess pick dips back up!

As for what is failing during bench... I'm wondering if I shouldn't be working shoulders then on the same day that I do bench?

I also noted that since inception(2months now), I have been 174lbs and have not changed weight at all (got on the scales today).
I was kinda hoping to go either up or down lol, apparently not! I guess body composition must be changing at least.
vamp
VETERAN

Post by vamp »

best way to determine body changes is to take pics of front back and side in the bathing suit every 2 wks to a month and do visual comparisons. The second is to use a tape measure and measure areas of the body and log them. These are the two easiest and most usefull ways to track progress because you know where you were and where you are and in your mind, where you want to go!

Cheers
DianaB
REGULAR

Post by DianaB »

Aitrus wrote:
DianaB wrote:Get some one to watch you bench and try to determine if it's your shoulder or tricep that's giving out. Normally the tri will give out around your sticking point if it's weak. Once you know the issue, you can do some extra work to correct it. Are you doing dips at all?
I was doing dips assisted dips a while back, but havent done them for a while now. I am going to stick with DBs for a little bit on chest now... and I guess pick dips back up!

As for what is failing during bench... I'm wondering if I shouldn't be working shoulders then on the same day that I do bench?

I also noted that since inception(2months now), I have been 174lbs and have not changed weight at all (got on the scales today).
I was kinda hoping to go either up or down lol, apparently not! I guess body composition must be changing at least.
Don't give up benching completely, just add some DB presses for accessory work. You don't have to use maximum weight for these, the purpose is to get in some extra work.
For example, on days I work up to 80-85% on the bench, I'll go 5x50%, 5x60%, 2x3x70%, and then do work sets. Don't try and bench your max every session and your shoulders will thank you for it. The following week, work up to 90%, and if it's going well and you feel strong, go for a max lift. I always do a flat (you could do incline or decline too) DB press on bench day, but with a lighter load and higher reps (5x10). I'm finding that it helps to strengthen shoulders without overloading them and it gives a bit of extra work on the chest.
Make sure you are doing some DB front raise, lying side lateral raise and db presses (or band work) as part of your warm up. Use them only as a warm-up with light weight, the purpose is to strengthen the rotator cuff and you don't need much weight to work those muscles, they are very small. And they hurt a lot when they tear.
Save any heavy shoulder work like Anderson press, push press or military press for another day, and don't jump into anything real heavy until your shoulders can handle it. The dips should really help with the triceps, unassisted please :D
As for the weight, well, you gotta know I'm going to say it: eat more. If you are not gaining weight with your present intake, you've got to take in more. I know it's hard, I eat like a pig just to maintain weight right now. Eat more calorically dense foods, like nuts, and add a tbsp of olive oil on your salad or veggies. Blend up banana, milk, protein powder and ground oatmeal and drink that down, it's an easy way to add a lot of calories to your day.
Your body is changing, you just can't see it yet. GAS & SAID principles.
swanso5
VETERAN

Post by swanso5 »

i'd unwirghted rotatr cuff in wasm up (YTWL's) then wted work at the end of the session...you want to activate them but not tire them before benching/shoulder pressing
Aitrus
SOCIAL CLIMBER

Post by Aitrus »

I'm actually very curious as to what I should be doing as a warm-up... I do light cardio and some pretty basic stretches prior to working out.. but I wonder if it is enough.
swanso5
VETERAN

Post by swanso5 »

you need movement preperation stuff whjile also addressing any inhibited/overactive muscles then warm up sets then your off

cardio warms ups are simply stupid for a wts workout
DianaB
REGULAR

Post by DianaB »

Aitrus wrote:I'm actually very curious as to what I should be doing as a warm-up... I do light cardio and some pretty basic stretches prior to working out.. but I wonder if it is enough.
I do this routine, with the exception of carioca, haven't figured that move out yet!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tk05msJu5ec
Cardio warm-ups are good to get the blood circulating and the heart beating, 5-10 minutes at a nice fast pace is fine.
As long as your warm-up is not static, like isometric stretching, and has some movement (dynamic), it's all good.
And do your shoulders, 5-8lbs dbs will not tire out your shoulders for benching, LOL. It's actually part of shoulder re-hab, suggested by the sports medicine clinic I go to, and so far, it's worked like a charm in healing the tear. The purpose is to get the shoulder joint greased up a bit, not to get all swole from it.
swanso5
VETERAN

Post by swanso5 »

carioca - sort of side step forward but alternate which foot comes in front with arms out in front criss crossing over..i don't think makes much sense
Aitrus
SOCIAL CLIMBER

Post by Aitrus »

Well, I do have to walk 30mins-ish to gym. So its not as though I can drop the "stupid cardio" unless I hail a taxi or take the bus :X I don't do the stretching while walking but stretches are similar to those in the video, though I'm sure that doing so would provide a grand spectacle for everyone =p

I'm also noticing that as I up weights on DL the bar is slipping from grip so I have to reseat hands after every two-or-so reps. grip seems to be proper, but we don't have any chalk... I wonder if I should invest in gloves?

Another question... squat is 205 at the moment.. and I think form is slipping because I notice that the bar is not comfortably resting on traps/shoulder(read: it hurts a little bit!) area and I am having to support it more with arms than before to stop it from hurting.

I'm definitely going to post videos probably tomorrow during six hour break between classes so I can have form critiqued...

I've also changed diet.. big carbs are in the morning.. and workout is either morning or early afternoon and I eat mostly veggies/meat after 5pm. Not sure when to cut myself off, when it is safe to have an evening snack (I generally sleep at midnight-1ish)?
swanso5
VETERAN

Post by swanso5 »

- walking ian't really cardio
- re setting grip is fine...gloves won't help grip at all...doing deads, chins and such that require grip will improve grip enough at the moment
- maybe use a towell or some padding and find the right spot for it to sit
- you casn eat right before bed if you like providing there are no carbs besides veggies
vamp
VETERAN

Post by vamp »

I'd buy your own bag of chalk. Gloves will bunch and not cover your grip on your fingures anyways.

Have you tried wrapping a towel around the bar for squats? It does help with the slippage and comfort while your lifting.

As for the walk to the gym, your body will become used to it but a regular walk to the gym won't really affect your lifts, especially if it is routine. Save the money and the environment all at once -- keep walking ;)

Cheers
DianaB
REGULAR

Post by DianaB »

Aitrus wrote:Well, I do have to walk 30mins-ish to gym. So its not as though I can drop the "stupid cardio" unless I hail a taxi or take the bus :X I don't do the stretching while walking but stretches are similar to those in the video, though I'm sure that doing so would provide a grand spectacle for everyone =p

I'm also noticing that as I up weights on DL the bar is slipping from grip so I have to reseat hands after every two-or-so reps. grip seems to be proper, but we don't have any chalk... I wonder if I should invest in gloves?

Another question... squat is 205 at the moment.. and I think form is slipping because I notice that the bar is not comfortably resting on traps/shoulder(read: it hurts a little bit!) area and I am having to support it more with arms than before to stop it from hurting.

I'm definitely going to post videos probably tomorrow during six hour break between classes so I can have form critiqued...

I've also changed diet.. big carbs are in the morning.. and workout is either morning or early afternoon and I eat mostly veggies/meat after 5pm. Not sure when to cut myself off, when it is safe to have an evening snack (I generally sleep at midnight-1ish)?
Just do the walking butt kicks and high skips on your way to the gym LOL.
A friend of mine does that warm up in the parking lot.
Skip the gloves, they get in the way and won't help to improve your grip I bought rock climbing chalk, it comes in a mesh bag and is not as messy as loose chalk. Just be discreet and clean up after yourself.
Same for a towel or pussy pad on the squat bar, you want to feel that bar on your back, and yes, it hurts for a while. Make sure you are squatting low bar, meaning that the bar is not resting on your upper traps. If use use a thumbless grip (don't wrap your thumb around the bar, put it over the bar with your fingers) you will be able to get the bar lower and keep your elbows in very tight at the same time. Keep your back tight, step under the bar and your grip, and just roll the bar on top of the shoulder blades with your rear delts supporting, like a little shelf. It will feel like the bar is going to slide off your back at first, so try it with a low weight and get comfortable.
Don't be scared of carbs, as long as it's clean, it's all good. You need them for growth (which is your focus, keep that in mind) and recovery. If you are really hungry at night, cottage cheese in a protein shake is awesome, or some unsalted mixed nuts are good too. If you can stomach eating veggies at night, then go for it. I sleep at about the same time and usually snack on something around 9. Just don't get over concerned and restrict yourself too much.
Looking forward to the vids!