Is Daily Cardio is Harmful

A forum for anything related to cardiovascular training.

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

anu103
STARTING OUT

Is Daily Cardio is Harmful

Post by anu103 »

Hi
I am 30 year old and i do cardio all 4 days a week and no weight training ,I do cardio 2 hours daily cardio includes.Kick boxing 45 mints and cycling 1 hour.I wanted to reduce weight Height is 5"9 current weight 77kg.Is there any harm in doing cardio daily??...i wanted to giv body a lean look with six pack abs..Plzz Help and Guide me
swanso5
VETERAN

Post by swanso5 »

i say yes

you can't get lean without building muscle...look at sprinters vs marathon runners

wts are the way to get lean, cardio is simply extra calorie (note i didn't put fat) expenditure
alw080378
STARTING OUT

Post by alw080378 »

most of all i do is cardio as well... i was told that you had to burn the fat off 1st before you could tone and strengthen the muscles that if you do it before or during the weight loss journy that it will make you look bulky and you will still have the fat in the same areas just have a muscle under it that makes the fat stick out more....

i am just starting a work out plan... i did the treadmill last night and a few stretching exercises and squats ands such... today i am going to do the stationary bike, treadmill and the stretching exercises and squats...

Is there a such thing as too much cardio.....
swanso5
VETERAN

Post by swanso5 »

- what if you burn all the fat off and you have no muscle there?
- you can't tone what's not there and tone isn't even a word
- muscle burns fat so you'll burn fat and build at the same time intitially after starting with wts...you'll only look bulky if you're still eating shit so you'll build muscle and not burn as much fat
- you can do too much cardio like the bloke above was and probably still is since we haven;t heard back from him
anu103
STARTING OUT

Post by anu103 »

:D LoLZ thanx buddy for ur suggestions. now i am not doing cardio still i lost 3 kg.and credit goes to you.. :lol: ...but trying hard for those six packs abs....as there ne exercise u will suggest....
Boopster
REGULAR

Post by Boopster »

IMO, yes...too much cardio. You need to add weight training and combination of healthy diet. There's nothing wrong with doing cardio daily but you need not do 2 hours of it.
Last edited by Boopster on Tue Oct 14, 2008 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Boopster
REGULAR

Post by Boopster »

anu103 wrote::D LoLZ thanx buddy for ur suggestions. now i am not doing cardio still i lost 3 kg.and credit goes to you.. :lol: ...but trying hard for those six packs abs....as there ne exercise u will suggest....
Ab definition has a lot to do with diet control. You can do 1000 sit ups a day and won't do a thing for you without proper nutrition.
Christopheel
REGULAR

Post by Christopheel »

Boopster wrote:
anu103 wrote::D LoLZ thanx buddy for ur suggestions. now i am not doing cardio still i lost 3 kg.and credit goes to you.. :lol: ...but trying hard for those six packs abs....as there ne exercise u will suggest....
Ab definition has a lot to do with diet control. You can do 1000 sit ups a day and won't do a thing for you without proper nutrition.
+1

and coming from you, it has even more weight since you have a really good physic
Boopster
REGULAR

Post by Boopster »

Thanks Christopheel! :D :D :D
SarahPT
REGULAR

Post by SarahPT »

swanso5 wrote:i say yes

you can't get lean without building muscle...look at sprinters vs marathon runners

wts are the way to get lean, cardio is simply extra calorie (note i didn't put fat) expenditure
Huh? Could you exalain that? Marathon runners, like me, tend to be extremely lean, just not very muscular. People get lean without building muscle all the time.

Daily cardio is NOT AT ALL HARMFUL. Cardio is extremely good for your body. If it was harmful endurance athletes would not be such healthy people. That being said, if you want to do a lot of cardio you need to eat and rest to support it, and take time off periodically. Also, if your only goal is weight loss lifting weights IS helpful. Weight lifting is an important part of any fitness routine anyway.
swanso5
VETERAN

Post by swanso5 »

well repetitive cardio is catabolic in nature as well as being energy efficient...and it isn't harmful IF you eat accordingly but 90% of people dont eat to their BMR let alone daily catabolic exercise
SarahPT
REGULAR

Post by SarahPT »

Ah yes I see what you mean. Yes you are right that so many people just don't eat enough to support their activity. But with eating enough cardio can burn a lot of fat, which is why in top marathon runners you can see every striation in the quads and abs. Very little fat left, but they eat tons.
Packard
VETERAN

Post by Packard »

For a lot of people 8 hours per week of cardio is not sustainable--many people will burn out with much more than 8 hours; others will get a myriad of small injuries that will hurt their progress.

How much weight do you need to lose? If you lose 1/2 pound a week in 10 years you will have lost 250 pounds--probably sufficient for a lean look.