Protein Powder

Teenagers and kids discuss your fitness concerns here.

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

Allstar
STARTING OUT

Protein Powder

Post by Allstar »

Hi, I am 14, turning 15 in a few months. I'm losing weight already by
doing a lot of cardio and weight lifting but I was wondering:

Is using protein powder safe at age? No side effects, growth stunting?
Can I just, put it in a shake for after work out for example?
Tayyab786
STARTING OUT

Post by Tayyab786 »

First of all are you trying to gain weight or lose it - I don't really understand you.

Secondly, No, Protein shake won't affect you, It's just like another healthy drink, But try not to have too many glasses. Try recipe with the protein shake:

- Whey Protein/Any Protein Powder
- 2 Egg Whites/ Or whole if you want
- A table spoon of Peanut Butter
- A Banana
- Some Nuts (Peanut butter gives the protein but then you can add whole nuts for the crunchy taste)
- Semi Skimmed Milk (I nearly forgot to add this - That's why its at the end :D )

That's it really, Everything in that shake includes some protein in it, The least amount of protein your getting from that shake is from the banana and its 1grams :D

The eggs are 6grams each of protein so that's around 12 from the eggs, and the nuts could depend on what type of nuts you put in, Peanuts and Almonds are the best, I'd put almonds in since you already have the peanut butter.
swanso5
VETERAN

Post by swanso5 »

just powder and water mate after a workout is all you need to do
laurenwilcox
SOCIAL CLIMBER

Post by laurenwilcox »

ummm... is raw eggs really bad?? :shock:
RK19
REGULAR

Post by RK19 »

never heard of salmonella poisoning?
Tayyab786
STARTING OUT

Post by Tayyab786 »

wndwgrl wrote:you werent suggesting raw eggs ,right? I wouldnt add that to a drink for myself and def. not for a 14 yr old...could be unsafe...some protein drinks may upset your stomach/ make you gassy...I would try to get more protein in other foods, but thats just opinion as a mom of a 14 yr old and 17 yr old... :)
I was suggesting raw eggs actually :P - There very good source of protein and I'm 15 years old and there good for you, If not 2 eggs, try 1. But then again too many eggs is bad for you also :) - I'd say 2 maximum in a day.
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

Raw Eggs are bad. The virus that causes Salmonella is destroyed when you cook Eggs.

Don't eat them raw, or consume them as part of a hangover cure, if you ever get hangovers.

Personally I've got better things to do with life :wink:.
swanso5
VETERAN

Post by swanso5 »

they didn't hurt rocky balboa
Tayyab786
STARTING OUT

Post by Tayyab786 »

EVERYONE in gym takes in Raw eggs, I asked them again to make sure, and they said yes, Raw eggs.
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

So what. It's still bad, but think about it. Some people take 1 Ecstasy tablet and end up on Kidney Dialysis, or even dead, whereas some take 2 a night 2-3 times a week, and live risk free.

Some people get Lung conditions that don't smoke, and some smoke heaviliy for 40+ years, and get nothing but a cough.

So if some people eat Raw Eggs and don't get Salmonella, doesn't mean you won't.

It's possible there may be some things, that might have a blocking or inhibiting effect of the virus, but it can still happen, and it doesn't matter if it doesn't happen to them, it could still happen to you.

So forget the Raw Eggs is what I'm saying.

Some people in Gyms do certain types of training regimes, or supplements / steroids, but that doesn't mean others should, or would benefit either.

It's a case of what's sauce for the Goose, isn't necessarily sauce for the Gander, so the question is, if the risk is real for you from Salmonella, not one of those 1 in a million risks, are you going to chance it, because even if you don't get it the first time, it might happen the next time; that wouldn't mean you can't get it, or are somehow immune when the first time it doesn't occur.

Hopefully that makes sense.
laurenwilcox
SOCIAL CLIMBER

Post by laurenwilcox »

hey thanks, no more raw eggs for lauren, lol :D
juan92
HIGH FLYER

Post by juan92 »

just because you see it in the movies doesnt mean its good for you. dont eat raw eggs
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

It's possible even in the movies, it can be something that's made to look like that but isn't.

I remember hearing of a guy who did a Beer advert years ago, and apparently the Beer was a bit warm and lacked head, so he had to been seen taking a swig of Beer and smiling or making a refreshed type sound, and to simulate the missing Beer head, they topped his Beer off with an Egg White, so then he necked some Egg White with it too.

Blerch.
Allstar
STARTING OUT

Post by Allstar »

Thanks for your replies guys, the raw egg stories really seem to be scary
and I didn't even consider doing that haha. Imagine the taste already!

I'm just using 30g protein powder and 250ml water now for each 'shake'.

PS the topic was about the safety of using protein powder at younger ages,
and not about eating raw eggs.
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

Using Protein Powder is fine at younger ages, bnut just be a little sparing on portions. some may have large dosages, or reccomended 2 scoop 40-50g doses.

In this case, don't go above 1 scoop, usually 20-25 depending on the brand you buy, simply incase you increase risk of Kidney stones, or other slight Kidney issues, as you don't have fully devloped Kidneys, so don't give them too much work.