How would you repair damaged muscle?

Discuss injuries, health issues, medical research and other related things.

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

Bigboi118
HIGH FLYER

How would you repair damaged muscle?

Post by Bigboi118 »

If you damaged a muscle through weight lifting, how would you go about repairing it?

Would using a lighter weight and lifts that use that muscle, whilst still having a high protein diet,

help repair the muscle?
thekid24
HIGH FLYER

Post by thekid24 »

EAT. REST. Ice it, massage, epsom salt bath..... you get the idea.

it depends how damaged the muscle is too.
Atticus
ESTABLISHED MEMBER

Post by Atticus »

Eat healthy proteins and don't use that muscle at all. I know it'll suck not exercising (say it's your shoulder.. don't bench since it uses your shoulder, you know what I mean?), but you don't want to mess up your muscle more than it is right now.

But like thekid said, Eat, Rest, Ice, Massage, and if it floats your boat salt bath it.

Just rest it up, get your protein and let your natural body functions take care of the rest.
Heelus
ESTABLISHED MEMBER

Re: How would you repair damaged muscle?

Post by Heelus »

Bigboi118 wrote:If you damaged a muscle through weight lifting, how would you go about repairing it?

Would using a lighter weight and lifts that use that muscle, whilst still having a high protein diet,

help repair the muscle?
An Injury ?

Or a heavy workout ?

Heavy workout, appropriate PWO Meal, and overall daily Kcals and proteins check. Plus a good rest time, 6-9 Hours depending on yourself.

For injury you gotta tell us what it is or find a physio.
Atticus
ESTABLISHED MEMBER

Post by Atticus »

Heelus wrote:
Bigboi118 wrote:If you damaged a muscle through weight lifting, how would you go about repairing it?

help repair the muscle?
An Injury ?

Or a heavy workout ?

Heavy workout, appropriate PWO Meal, and overall daily Kcals and proteins check. Plus a good rest time, 6-9 Hours depending on yourself.

For injury you gotta tell us what it is or find a physio.
He's got a good point. Go back to exercising it when you don't feel any pain or discomfort. Make sure it's 100% before you start doing things again.
Bigboi118
HIGH FLYER

Post by Bigboi118 »

Thanks for the quick responses, heres the deal in a bit more detail

A while back I was doin to much weight for biceps, i mean at first it was fine i could use 2 20KG dumbells with good form but after a while i guess i just got weaker, I started to notice a bruise on the muscle (a yellow colouring of the skin) and i started taking it easier, using less weight, its now been a while and its almost as if a small part of the top of the bicep is missing, on the side closest chest.

I went to the docs to get it checked out, and basically the lady didnt know what she was talking about (after all she's only a GP, i probably need to see a sports physio) she was like 'ahhhh u got nice biceps, just take it easy'

As for what diet/workout is like, i do 3 days full body, and diet is good all day/everyday (high protein/veg, no crap, i write daily in the journal section on this site)

I was thinking that, if i stretch properly (which i do for 5-10 mins before and after weights) and still exercise the bicep (currently i isolate the muscle twice weekly with hammer and concentration). Exercising the muscle encourages growth, as the muscle repairs itself,

i would of thought that i should exercise it, at least lightly
Atticus
ESTABLISHED MEMBER

Post by Atticus »

Bigboi118 wrote:I started to notice a bruise on the muscle (a yellow colouring of the skin) and i started taking it easier, using less weight, its now been a while and its almost as if a small part of the top of the bicep is missing, on the side closest chest.
That concerns me. haha. What do you mean... missing? Like you lost muscle? Or.. your muscle is deteriorating? Hole in your arm?

What I would do is ice/heat the bruise on your arm and not work that arm at all for at least a week (or two if you could spare). See what happens..

But if you got the time, money, and resources I'd go ahead and go to a sports doctor and see what they have to say.
Packard
VETERAN

Post by Packard »

Well, I had a major pectoral tear doing heavy benches and this was situation.

I had just locked out on 425 pounds and then right pec tore. It sounded like a heavy piece of canvas tearing and it was heard clear across the gym. It took 4 guys to pull the bar off chest.

I was in major pain and I went to the doctor. This was before micro-surgery and there was no treatment available. doctor put me on anti-coagulants to prevent any embolisms. The entire right side of body turned black. From right wrist to navel and right into the inner left pectoral.

I could not use right arm at all for 2 or 3 weeks. The doctor said that I would never bench again.

I took up tae kwan do in the mean time. After 6 months of tae kwan do I got stress fractures in hip from doing too many jumping roundhouse kicks and I had to quit the tae kwan do.

I went back to the gym starting to bench at 135 pounds. I stayed at that weight until it felt easy. And then I increased the poundage by 10 pounds a month. Eventually I got back to 325 for sets of 10 reps, but I never again tried to max out with single reps.

Your injury sounds less severe. Rest it for a week or two and then train light. Add weight slowly over an extended period of time. You are not only trying to get stronger, you are asking your body to make up for the torn muscles that are not there anymore.

Someone said to me when I was up to 225 pounds that the lift looked to be ridiculously easy and why didn't I go up in poundage. I answered that I intended to go up 10 pounds a month.

"Why so slow?"
"What the heck, in 10 years I will have added 1,200 pounds to bench at this rate. And that would be cool too."

Don't rush it. Eventually you will get back to your capacity just as I did (I never did get that 1,420 pound bench as you might imagine).
MAGreen
STARTING OUT

Post by MAGreen »

Bigboi118 wrote:Thanks for the quick responses, heres the deal in a bit more detail

A while back I was doin to much weight for biceps, i mean at first it was fine i could use 2 20KG dumbells with good form but after a while i guess i just got weaker, I started to notice a bruise on the muscle (a yellow colouring of the skin) and i started taking it easier, using less weight, its now been a while and its almost as if a small part of the top of the bicep is missing, on the side closest chest.

I went to the docs to get it checked out, and basically the lady didnt know what she was talking about (after all she's only a GP, i probably need to see a sports physio) she was like 'ahhhh u got nice biceps, just take it easy'

As for what diet/workout is like, i do 3 days full body, and diet is good all day/everyday (high protein/veg, no crap, i write daily in the journal section on this site)

I was thinking that, if i stretch properly (which i do for 5-10 mins before and after weights) and still exercise the bicep (currently i isolate the muscle twice weekly with hammer and concentration). Exercising the muscle encourages growth, as the muscle repairs itself,

i would of thought that i should exercise it, at least lightly
I've torn bicep and more recently strained by upper forearm doing reverse curls after a 2 week layoff.

I have two points to make. 1) forearm took months to heal. This was the second time I pulled this particular muscle. The third time if I go back far enough. All three times from too much weight on reverse curls. I used a combination of cold, rest, very light weight exercise, finding different bicep exercises that didn't irritate it, eating lots of protein, and enduring the ache for months. It's still not 100% but I only notice it now when I work arms very hard. I may never do heavy-weight reverse curls again. I'm thinking of having some acupuncture done on forearm. For me, a couple of weeks rest was like throwing a pebble into a canyon to try to fill it up. I had to learn to live with it getting better very gradually over an extended period of time.

2) Skin yellowing and missing muscle mass are two symptoms I've never encountered in any of injuries so I agree I'd see a sports doctor for those...

See No Nonsense Muscle Building Review at http://nononsense.fitnessfactsonline.com
Packard
VETERAN

Post by Packard »

The skin yellowing is the milder form of a black and blue mark. If you have major damage then your doctor might put you on anti-coagulants too. This to prevent edemas and strokes. Other than that, I believe the course of treatment is rest and a slow road to return to lifting.
Bigboi118
HIGH FLYER

Post by Bigboi118 »

Yeh i think i will get it looked into a bit more, I eat alot of protein (1.5g per lb bw at least every day, clean).

It is strange tho, gp couldnt even suggest what was up. ive tried takin some pics and it doesnt really show up.

Some of the mass of the bicep does appear to be missing, its only a small amount, but im sure the muscle used to be smooth and cylidrical like (i dunno how to explain the shape of a bicep lol) and now theres a small dip in the muscle.

At the moment im taking it easy just using 2 10KG Dumbells to do 4x8, form is easy cos its light
rohanjain
SOCIAL CLIMBER

Post by rohanjain »

When the muscle is damage,it can be repaired through the combination of time and rest.The types of damage muscle-
-Strained muscles
-Torn muscles
Muscles are attached to bones.In torn muscles, there is an problem of movement in the forward direction.