c-section- is it still possible to get a flat ??

Discuss female concerns here.

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

sandigirl06
HIGH FLYER

c-section- is it still possible to get a flat ??

Post by sandigirl06 »

Hi, all!! I have looked around the forums and to surprise have not come across this question. 16 yrs ago I gave birth to a beautiful baby girl (as a teenager now she is driving me crazy but that is another forum. LOL) through c-section. It was a horizontal cut on bikini line. It has healed nicely but it seems a little roll of skin hangs over it. I have been told by some people that a c-section procedure cuts through the stomach muscles making them weaker and creating the dreaded "pooch" that will be impossible to lose. Are there any woman (or men) out there who can tell me this is not true?? I need some encouragement!! THX!!!
Bonnie
VETERAN

Post by Bonnie »

Im not sure if they actually cut the muscle or push it out of the way ?..I've had 2 c-sections..in twenties & I DID actually have a flat tummy afterwards ..until I gained alot of weight..now once again I'm at the final lb shedding, still that roll of fat hangs on (10x smaller though). It is one of the main reasons I searched online for answers & found this site..Now I've switched up cardio & weight training to a more efficient fat burning program, in order to burn all the stubborn, inside arm, inside thigh, fat OFF !! I'll let you know if I succeed LOL :D
sandigirl06
HIGH FLYER

Post by sandigirl06 »

Bonnie, I have the same goals. I need to firm up and lose 10 lbs. I have also switched workout to fullbody 3x per week and HIIT cardio. I am def interested to hear of your progress!!! Keep me posted! Thx for the re-assurance that there can be a flat after c-section!! :D
Bonnie
VETERAN

Post by Bonnie »

Your welcome & believe me, If that burns off, I'll post a pic ;)
nsbmsk
SOCIAL CLIMBER

Post by nsbmsk »

Hi there!

I also had c-sections with all 3 of boys. For myself I know that I won't get flat back since first son stretched skin waaay too much!

It all depends on how stretched out your skin is. If major stretch marks like mine are not a factor then I don't see why you couldn't get a flat again.

I'd love one myself, I miss mine horribly :(

Best of luck!
nsbmsk
SOCIAL CLIMBER

Post by nsbmsk »

BTW A c-section does cut through all muscle layers. But if you have strong abdominal muscles then a flat shouldn't be an unattainable goal.
I also have a horizontal scar that healed really well. I can hardly see it now and baby is turning 9 tomorrow.

I have very strong abs but because of stretched out skin I won't get a flat .
Bonnie
VETERAN

Post by Bonnie »

Well thanks for clearing up whether they cut muscles. When I'm down in as low as possible & safe for health & this remains, then & only then will I surrender goal, because I've stretch marks & not so terrific skin elasticity, but I refuse to stop trying.
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

Perhaps you might want to consider Vitamin C supplements. Vitamin C apart from being good for immune health, helps promote Collagen production in skin, bones and teeth.

So you could have 500mg or 1g, and see how that works. If you have slight issues taking it, try buffered, and see if that helps.

You'll still get positive health benefits anyway, even if it doesn't help the scars and stretch marks.
sandigirl06
HIGH FLYER

Post by sandigirl06 »

Well, luckily for me I did not get hardly any stretch marks. Only one very small one very low on each side which are barely visable. Maybe I have a shot at that flat . I will not stop trying to attain it. I know fat is the last to go. So cruel!! :cry: I want to see pics, Bonnie when u get there!!!
Bonnie
VETERAN

Post by Bonnie »

Thanks boss man, I started vitamin C last week & picked up some bio oil today :)
Littlerock112
STARTING OUT

Post by Littlerock112 »

Like you,I have had two c-sections in the past 10 years and a hysterectomy (not fun). I have always been fit and was into bodybuilding about 13 years ago but I too have the pooch. surgeon also messed up on the incision of the c-section so one side looks like it is pintucked. husband is precious and says that I still look fantastic but I can see the problem area and want it gone. No stretch marks just fat, I would at least like to loose 5-10 lbs of fat! Keeps posted on your progress! Good Luck.
Bonnie
VETERAN

Post by Bonnie »

There is a lady, has user name of " boopster " her last post was in the womens section, she is also the person who put a link in a question I posted about finding a workout.Now in her profile, unless I'm wrong, that is her son in a picture with her, now aside whether the woman had a c section or natural, her tummy is in impeccable shape, gives me hope mine can be close to normal again :D Littlerock, I think each surgeon should picture his OWN wife under that knife, perhaps they wouldn't be so sloppy, if they had to look at their botched job sleeping beside them.Best of luck to you on your goals ! Oh & I see you just joined, welcome :)
Boopster
REGULAR

Post by Boopster »

Awwwww :wink: Thanks for the kudos Bonnie;) Really sweet of you. Yes, that is 14 year old son in profile picture. I also have a daughter, age 11. Responding to your statement about a C-section, I did not have one. Both kids were born naturally. As far as the loose skin issue and damage to muscle, there is always the likelihood that things won't look as they once did prior to a surgical incision especially post C-section. Much has to do with how much the skin was stretched at pregnancy and how much elasticity for the skin to bounce back post pregnancy. I was very fortunate to have gained just about the right amount of weight at each pregnancy without having the effects of stretchmarks or what we call "the pooch".

As far as loosing the "pooch" in that area, unfortunately, we cannot "spot reduce" Diet and exercise controls a lot as well as heredity. As one former poster stated and I agree..."Abs are made in the kitchen". Cleaning up your diet and making a conscious effort to target your abs throughout your workout and daily life; not just when you do "ab work" will help.
Bonnie
VETERAN

Post by Bonnie »

Your most welcome :) fat on abs actually isn't c section related, its from gaining & then losing weight, though I replied to this post because I had 2 c sections in early 20's & DID lose the tummy, at that time ;) Yes it is impossible to spot reduce, all previous times in fitness centers in 20' & 30's...I avoided cardio like the plague..so boring only did light weights & high reps..but this time...things were NOT bouncing back into shape after losing most of the weight, so I asked a trainer at the gym what to do..she said..cardio !! So for the first time in life, I started to walk outside, then treadmill.The treadmill made me feel like a hampter on a wheel so I changed to elliptical.Read about HIIT, after six months, so did 20 min SS & 10 min HIIT...& then I found shapefit. diet was mostly clean already because of a nutritionist, now I do wholebody workouts, HIIT & I think the biggest challenge as Lynn has mentioned is erradicating that silly habit of equating eating alot with weight gain, rather ingrained & hard to forget :( I can honestly say that I love body more now, in forties with all its muscle & strength & flexibility than ever before, compared to any past gym experiences.Since I found this site & have asked questions & found help of how to put the training, diet & cardio together, Im also excited about the future . I went to the beach for the first time in 10 yrs today & wore a bikini :shock: & felt ok about it ;) Thanks for your reply & take care :)
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

I'm glad you've been able to overcome a few pre-conceptions about your lifestyle, and managed not to be too analytical, critical, or hard on yourself either.

The mental and emotional apsects of how you live, are very important, as without those being in good condition, the physical changes will never happen. You have to have synergy and a symbiotic relationship between all three, to achieve results.

I think you can be proud of what you did, that you said hadn't been done for 10 years, as I can imagine something that simple, could have been a bain of your life, if you wanted to do it before now, but felt unable because something in your mind, or something you could see about yourself, was holding you back.

So I think you have a reason to be proud, for overcoming a personal hurdle like that, that got in your way for 10 years. It's little things like that, you can use to push you further, and build into a big positive, if you let them.

You should be excited about the future, because I know you're someone, that can and does give what's needed, to get what's wanted back out, and your admissions, prove that what you're doing must be working, and they are giving you a more positive, and better outlook on the future, which is a great part of the process.

You've always shown to us that you are exactly the sort of person this community needs and deserves, so the help and support, and care for you, that we can give, will be here for you, and it's good to know you're doing well with things.

You've always been great to have around :).

You certainly seem to be in pretty good shape for your age, as a lot of people these days aren't, so I'm happy for you, and I'm happy we've been able to do what we can for you.

Keep up the hard work, and yeah, don't worry about the extra calories. If you keep pushing the training like you are the right kind of extra calories will continue to benefit you, not compromise you.