Time Off From Lifting - Concerns

Discuss your weight training questions, concerns and tips!

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

BeepBeep6262
STARTING OUT

Time Off From Lifting - Concerns

Post by BeepBeep6262 »

I've been lifting consistently for about 10 months now and have been taking Creatine/Glutamine/Protein shakes for about 3 or 4 months. I'll be going on vacation soon for about 2 weeks and probably won't have a chance to do any lifting just basic exercises and I really don't want to try and take supplements with me. Is it ok to be off those for a couple weeks or should I try and pack some? Also, how long will it take me to get back into the swing of things after I get back?
jillb069
STARTING OUT

Re: Time Off From Lifting - Concerns

Post by jillb069 »

You've been lifting regularly for 10 months. Its ok to take time off, you deserve it. Its actually good to take a week or two off once in a while. When you do get back into lifting after your vacation, you might find that you gain more strength in the gym because you gave your body a nice long rest.
Kevsworld
ESTABLISHED MEMBER

Post by Kevsworld »

You'll turn into a disgusting fatbody after about 8 days.

Just kidding--a couple of weeks is not going to make that big of a difference. You'll probably feel a little bit weaker when you get back to the gym, but you'll be right back in the groove after that first week back (that's what happens to me, anyway). Just enjoy--what's the point of getting in shape if you can't go out and have some fun?

http://strongandfit.net
Packard
VETERAN

Post by Packard »

Lesplease wrote:You will be fine on your vacation. Take the time off, enjoy it, and jump back in full swing when you return.
I agree he should enjoy his vacation. And the time off will probably give him some needed extra rest.

I disagree on the "full swing" bit.

With 2 weeks off upon your return take one workout very light, the next medium/light, the next "full swing".

Two weeks off is long enough that you will feel soreness after coming back and doing a regular workout. One or two light workouts first will avoid that soreness and will not significantly slow your progress.
lens_d
ESTABLISHED MEMBER

Post by lens_d »

I would also leave the supplements at home if I was you. What a pain that would be to drag around.

Its up to you though.
BeepBeep6262
STARTING OUT

Post by BeepBeep6262 »

Just gonna do a full 2 weeks of nothin, no supps, ease in the first week back, full speed the next. Thanks for all the advice!
Packard
VETERAN

Post by Packard »

BeepBeep6262 wrote:Just gonna do a full 2 weeks of nothin, no supps, ease in the first week back, full speed the next. Thanks for all the advice!
Sounds solid to me. Remember that the time off is actually going to aid your training. It gives your a chance to catch up on recovery and rest. So don't feel guilty about this. In fact you should schedule a week off (minimum) every 3 or 4 months. It will improve your lifts.