Fygle's road to mass gain

Post your workout journals so others can review your training and follow your progress!

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

Fygle
REGULAR

Re: Fygle's road to mass gain

Post by Fygle »

Rest day

Diet:

6:00 bowl of oatmeal w/half a cup blueberries, a few raisins, cinnamon, 1 tsp sweetener, 1 tsp honey + a carrot
9:30 ~25 almonds, an apple
11:00 tuna salad
13:30 chicken wok w/chicken breast, wg rice and vegs
16:00 smoothie w/oats, banana, plain yoghurt, , skim milk
18:00 2 thick wg crispbread w/omelette, green tea
20:00 white beans in tomato sauce, turkeydog, misc vegs, a little wg rice
23:00 chicken wok leftovers, carrot
Fygle
REGULAR

Post by Fygle »

Cardio day:

Misc ab work > 45 mins jogg. Lacked that last oomph today, don't know why, perhaps not enough to eat prior.

Diet:

6:00 bowl of oatmeal w/half a cup blueberries, a few raisins, cinnamon, 1 tsp sweetener, 1 tsp honey + a carrot
9:30 ~25 almonds, an apple
10:30 3 slices wg bread w/omelette
14:00 entrecote w/iceberg, onion, mushroom, potato salad
16:30 pre cardio: 1 wg thick crispbread w/pg, a smoothie w/1 scoop PP, banana, oats, plain yoghurt, , skim milk (finally new batch of protein powder arrived, think I actually preferred the non flavoured/sweetened kind I had before, though)
19:00 post cardio: 3 slices wg bread w/eggs and caviar
20:30 couple fists misc nuts, a bottle of beer
22:00 smoothie w/oats, frozen blue/rasp/banana, plain yoghurt, skim milk
23:30 1/2 can tuna w/iceberg, a carrot
ironwill
VETERAN

Post by ironwill »

Had to check where Nordland was on the map.....looks like an interesting place.
Fygle
REGULAR

Post by Fygle »

Mountains and fjords, that pretty much sums it up. Nice place to be when it's not winter :wink:
ironwill
VETERAN

Post by ironwill »

Fygle wrote:Mountains and fjords, that pretty much sums it up. Nice place to be when it's not winter :wink:
must having skiing, snowmobiling and such?

googling fjords.......ahhh learn something new everyday....... :)
Fygle
REGULAR

Post by Fygle »

Absolutely, that's why our small country always finish top 5 in the winter olympics :D Unfortunately I was born in the wrong corner of the world. I long for beaches and piña coladas!
ironwill
VETERAN

Post by ironwill »

Fygle wrote:Absolutely, that's why our small country always finish top 5 in the winter olympics :D Unfortunately I was born in the wrong corner of the world. I long for beaches and piña coladas!
ahhhh....yes I remember hearing the name now, sorry didn't pay attention in geography class.... :) I hear ya on the beaches, we get a decent share of Winter here in Maine. What are your goals as far as muscle gain, do you have a weight your shooting for?
Fygle
REGULAR

Post by Fygle »

I don't know to be honest, first goal is to find a workout/diet routine that works well for me. I've got 78kg as a rough estimate in head, but then again I don't know if that's the weight I need to be at to reach "goal". Something tells me I'm probably gonna keep going, though, once I get there. I enjoy weight lifting so much. I've put on 2kg since christmas, but it doesn't really show that well yet. I've just been 1,5 months on a serious full body workout so I guess I need to be patient. I'll probably switch to a upper/lower split after a couple more months.

How about you?
ironwill
VETERAN

Post by ironwill »

I had noticed we were about the same height so it made me curious. I think like you say, once you reach a certain weight you like it so much, you want to keep going. I'm 195lbs. right now, but not as cut as I'd like to be. Going to cut some junk out of diet, and hopefully be pretty lean for the Summer, maybe 185ish. I look at 6' lifters, and seen ones that look great at 170lbs., and ones that look great at 220lbs. I think the key is keeping the relatively low.
Congrats on the weight gain, as a side note I did fullbody for 5 months when I started, and made great gains on it.
Fygle
REGULAR

Post by Fygle »

If there is something I know absolutely nothing about then it's cutting after bulking, so that's going to be another learning experience for me. Still a long way off for me, though. I could probably use some cutting as well, got some gut I'd like to lose, although it doesn't seem like it's all fat, almost like stomach simply is that big. It's hard to the touch (except when I'm sitting :shock:), not Homer Simpson jiggly. I might give it a try early summer some time, we'll see. Have to look good when I go on vacation this fall! back is almost only bones and skin, so I don't think I should cut too much, I'm only 163lb.

Good to know you had good results 5 months on FB, might shoot for something similar. I've cut so much junk out of diet there's almost nothing left (a few beers in the weekend shouldn't be a mortal sin, right? :P ), and I'm trying to eat plenty clean meals.
ironwill
VETERAN

Post by ironwill »

Yuh, I'm new too the whole "cutting" thing, but will be in nothing but shorts alot of the Summer, on the boat and on the beach ( wife and I play beach Volleyball) so would like to show-off some of the muscle I've built. Going to be experimentation for me, I don't want to get too extreme with it, just open up some of the valley's a little deeper. I did the 50% carb, 30% protein, 20% fat caloric intake during fullbody, using the fittracker, I filled in the foods everyday, and it broke it down for me....very useful. I was amazed how hard it was to get the 30% protein, carbs were a breeze, and fat not too hard to keep at or below 20%. I think for the Summer, a reduction in fat, and carbs, and try to eat a pile of protein, hopefully that will make a difference. Not really interested in a bunch of cardio, though I don't personally mind it. Do you figure your total calories for the day, I didn't notice it in your log?
Fygle
REGULAR

Post by Fygle »

I've not checked out the fittracker yet, but I'll get around to it. Do you happen to know whether cardio burns more muscle than a calorie defict diet, or if it all simply boils down to how many calories you've burned at the end of the day vs. how much you eat? If that made sense.
Fygle
REGULAR

Post by Fygle »

Weights day:

Chinups: 11+7+5+5+4 (Quite happy with the first set, bumped record by 3)
+Dumbbell side raises: 7+5+5+5+5 (20>23,5>23,5>23,5>23,5kg) (Down 1,5kg 4x7 next. Bit on the heavy side not getting all the way to a 90 degree angle on the last 1-2 reps last 2 sets)

Pushups: 31xWide>18xMid>10xNarrow (Add backpack next)
+Upright barbell rows: 9+7+7+7 (17,5>21>21>21>12kg) (Add 1kg 3x9 next)

Romanian deadlift: 9+7+7+7 (40>51>51>51) (Add 1,5kg next)
+Lunges: 9+9+9 (21>21>21kg) (add 1,5kg 4x7 next) (Is this a good superset? Lower back + legs?)

Barbell deadlift 9+7+7+7 (62,5>73>73>73kg) (Same weight 3x9 next. Might be too much lower back with the romanians + this one on the same day, considering adding a middle back exercise instead of romanian.)

Does this mean workout was good?

Diet:

10:00 a big bowl muesli w/skim milk and 1 scoop pp
12:00 pre weights: 1 thick wg crispbread w/ham, smoothie w/strawberries, oats, plain yoghurt,
14:30 post weights: 1 scoop protein shake, 3 slices wg bread w/eggs and caviar, green tea w/honey
17:30 lean pork w/vegs and wg rice
21:00 misc nuts, a bottle of beer
23:00 leftovers from the 17:30 meal + a carrot and a protein shake

Probably should have had another meal between 18 and 23. Super lazy evening with movies, simply forgot! I saw this one, pretty good:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1187064/

Now on to some Flashforward.
Last edited by Fygle on Sat Mar 20, 2010 5:53 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Fygle
REGULAR

Post by Fygle »

ironwill
VETERAN

Post by ironwill »

Fygle wrote:I've not checked out the fittracker yet, but I'll get around to it. Do you happen to know whether cardio burns more muscle than a calorie defict diet, or if it all simply boils down to how many calories you've burned at the end of the day vs. how much you eat? If that made sense.
Not sure if you meant to say burn more muscle, or burn fat, but if you fill out the fittracker with your goals, which I think in your case is gain muscle, at least when I did it, it made calorie goals 500 more than maintenance calories. The key, so I've read is to lift, and your body will adjust to the strain of lifting. The body takes care of itself, and prepares for emergencies, so once it figures out your going to put it under weights every few days, its going to respond by building muscle, to make sure it can handle what you throw at it. It needs the necessary nutrients to do this, so a good diet is essential, as you know. It's getting the body to hold onto the good stuff, and get used to burning the stuff you don't want, which is fat. If you starve your body, it will burn muscle, and store fat, I did that at first, and the scale dropped but I still looked sloppy. Not sure that answered you question, but there are lots of people on here that can explain it much more eloquently than I can.... :D

Nice workout.. the way.