3 High fat : 1 protein diet

A place to hang with other members, introduce yourself and discuss practically anything.

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

Davinia123
STARTING OUT

3 High fat : 1 protein diet

Post by Davinia123 »

Hi,

I am wondering if anyone out there can help me?

I am 31 years of age. I am 5f6 and 12 stone. I do sport 4 times a week. I was told That i need to lose 2 stone in weight as BMI is 27.3.

I joined Educo gym and they have put me on a 3High fat - 1protein diet 3 meals aday. I am not allow any carbs,milk or anything like that. I am to eat really fatty food with lots of olive oil and butter. They also sold me Amino acid tablets which I have to take 5 tabs 3times a day plus Amino or table..5 3times a day.

I am finding it hard to understand how eating such fatty foods will make me lose weight. I am on day 5 now and am struggling with the loss of energy that I am experiencing, especially when I train hard at least 3 days aweek.

Can anyone shed some light on the logic behind this 3:1 diet and If i am just been missed around by the Tony Quinn Educo Gym.

Someone please help me.

Dee from Dublin. :?
cassiegose
VETERAN

Re: 3 High fat : 1 protein diet

Post by cassiegose »

Hi Dee,

Any plan that forces you to cut out any specific food group is not balanced and in honest opinion not healthy. Our bodies need a balance of protein, carbs, and healthy fats to function properly. Yes, taking carbs out and increasing fats to make up for it will make you lose weight... however I don't believe this is a healthy diet nor would I ever recommend it. Also, why bother with a diet that you can/will only maintain for a short amount of time? One of the biggest problems with these types of diet is that those doing them can/will only maintain them for a short amount of time then stop because they they simply aren't feasible to maintain for an extended amount of time. The KEY to weight loss is not finding a diet that will make you drop 10 lbs as quickly as possible. This is about changing your lifestyle and altering your diet into one that is enjoyable, easy to maintain, good for your body, and effective. If the diet forces you to cut out one whole (very important) food group chances are you aren't going to stay on it very long and if you don't stick with it why even bother? I recommend stopping that diet immediately... Instead what about something more along the lines of this:

FOODS:
Proteins:
Chicken breast
Lean cuts of red meat
Lean cuts of pork
Turkey Breast
Fish (tilapia, cod, tuna, salmon*, halibut, shrimp, clams, crab, lobster)
Eggs*/eggwhites
Low fat Dairy (cottage cheese, cheese, greek yogurt, milk, quark)
Soy/Edemame/Tofu

*These are also a great source of healthy fat

Complex Carbs:
Whole grain bread/tortillas/cereal (make sure cereal has less than 5 grams of sugar per serving)
Kamute (Safeway carries this in the cereal aisle)
Millet
Barley
Bulgur
Quinoa
Whole grain couscous
Whole grain pasta
Wheat berries
Brown/wild rice
Legumes (peas, lentils, black beans, kidney beans, pinto beans)
Potatoes/Sweet potatoes
Corn (this is a grain, not a veggie)
Air popped popcorn (hold the butter and salt)
Fruits
Veggies

Healthy Fats:
Fatty Fish (also a good source of protein)
Farm fresh/free range eggs (these are healthier than commercial brands)
Avocados
Nuts
Natural nut butter (Adams Brand is great!)
Canola Oil (this is best for cooking/baking)
Olive Oil (this is best for salad dressings as it isn’t as healthy when heated)
Flax seed (these must be ground to make them easier to digest)

General “Rules”

-Every meal should include 15-25 grams protein. Remember that foods like oats, legumes, nuts, quinoa all have protein so you don’t necessarily need to get all of your protein from meats and dairy.

-Include a healthy fat in all meals except pre and post workout meals. Fat can slow the digestion of carbs and protein so you want to leave it out of these meals to help your body break down the carbs and proteins around workout times when these nutrients are most necessary.

- Generally a serving of grains is about ½ cup measured dry. Read labels and measure foods to make sure you know how much youre actually eating. For the meals that call for “whole grains or legumes” shoot for about 20-30 grams carbs from these foods

-Eat all the veggies you want! Spinach, broccoli, celery, lettuce, cauliflower, asparagus, green beans, mushrooms can all be eaten freely. In addition fruits such as tomatoes, cucumbers, zucchini, squash, peppers (yes these are all fruits) can be eaten freely.

-I recommend a protein shake RIGHT after weight workouts to provide a source of fast digesting protein to your muscles. This aids in recovery and muscle growth. One scoop of protein with about 8-12 oz water is great. After that try to eat your post workout meal within an hour or so of workout.

Sample meal plan:

Meal 1 (assuming pre workout)
Protein
Carb (this can be either fruit or whole grain)

Post Weight Training Workout
1 scoop protein powder w/ water

Meal 2 (assuming post workout)
Whole grain carb
Protein

Meal 3
Whole grain carb or legumes (optional)
Protein
Healthy Fat
Veggies

Meal 4
Protein
Healthy fat
Veggies

Meal 5
Protein
Healthy fat
Veggies

Meal 6
Protein
Healthy fat
Veggies (optional)
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

The reason that diet might work, is because you will create a Carb deficeit which would be filled by Fat, as Fat is a secondary energy source.

However it's not a good idea to remove Carbs, as Carbs help to regulate Glucose levels, fuel the Brain and also the "hydrated Carbons", as they're known, are good suppliers of water, (think Glucose (C6H12O6)), plus the Oxygen helps make better use of the broken down Glucose end product and helps create ATP, an energy source that helps makes your muscles move.

As explained such a diet will not be sustainable in the long term. Not least because most Carbohydrates except Alcohol Carbs are 4 calories per gram, whereas all commonly consumed Fats are 9 calories per gram, so the risk there is, if you actually added back the same grams of Fat as you took out with Carbs, you'd consume a lot more calories. More than twice the amount on a Carb to Fat comparison.

4:1, Fat:Protein doesn't sound too logical.

If you had just a sedentary females daily requirement for calories, (1,800), men are 2,000 a day, then you'd be eating 360 calories of Protein a day, (90 grams), and 1,440 a day from Fat, (160 grams). It's reccomended as an RDA, you consume 70 grams of Fat on a 2,000 a day diet, with 20g being a limit for Saturates. So you can see why this diet of yours is out of whack. You're eating more than double the amount of Fat a sedentary man should get.

You're also exercising, so aiming for a sedentary females caloric average would be a bit hit and miss, when you could be having more than that, to give you calories to burn through exercise and encourage better weight loss.

Comsuming a lot of butter doesn't make entire sense. Butter does contain Lauric Acid, which is present in Coconut Oil and is a "medium chain Fatty acid", that ends up in the Liver and converts to energy, so it doesn't store, but Coconut Oil also contains Capric and Capryllic Acid neither of which I believe are in Butter, but I'm not 100% certain of that.

Plus havign a slew of Saturates isn't necessarily the answer.

Olive oil is good though particularly for Alpha Linolenic Acid, (Omega 3) and being Omega 3, it partly breaks down to EPA and DHA the Fats in Fish, which is beneficial, as Fish is a carrier of Heavy Metals, which can become toxic at high levels and cause Nervous system issues.

Cold Pressed Extra Virgin Olive Oil is reckoned to be the best.

As suggested, bin the diet immediately.

Cassie mentioned more than enough for you to mull over, so I'll say no more.

Good luck though with everything and we will be here if you need anything else :).
Davinia123
STARTING OUT

Post by Davinia123 »

Thank you Cassie and Boss Man. You both have really help clear mind and concerns with this diet that this gym is claiming to be the best out there.

Cassie, thanks for the knowledge on the food groups that I need to have. One quick question...Protein power...Whey or soya..Which is the best???

I will be changing the way that I eat food from now on. Only healthy eating...no mad diets as I need the energy for sports (Very important to me.)

Thanks again,

Dee
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

Soy contains a substance called Genestein, which is called an Iso-flavone. It belongs to a group of substances called Flavonoids. However it can to understanding be classed as a Lignan, (a substance that binds to a receptor), as it is also known as a Phyto-oestrogen.

It binds to Oestrogen receptors, potentially negating the effects of excess Oestrogen, which can contribute to Gynocomastia, Breast Cancer and elevated Blood Clot risk.

Why is simply the product of Milk to Cheese conversion. It's siphened off kind of.

The only real problem with Soy that I am aware of is the fact it can causes allergies to some people. Should you have no background with Soy consumption, then bear this in mind, just incase anything unusual happens. You shouldn't get a problem touchwood.

With Protein powders, some have Carbs in some don't. You can buy carb free ones and add your own. Crushed Oats is a good choice for this. The Insulin spike created by the Carbs, will help to elevate Blood Sugar levels, replenish Muscle Glycogen and better synthesis the Proteins.

Use water not Milk. Milk increase Casein content, viscocity, calories and Enzyme production as the Lactase enzyme is needed to break down the Galactose part of the Lactose Di-scaccharide. All of which could conrtibute to slowed absorption.

You could also manipulate the taste if you find issues, by adding a bit of Honey, Cinnamon, Vanilla essence, ground Nutmeg or ground Ginger, if you wish.
Davinia123
STARTING OUT

Post by Davinia123 »

Thanks everyone for your help.

Its great to have the support of friends.

Dee :D