I'm a newbie. =)

A place to hang with other members, introduce yourself and discuss practically anything.

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

CosmoKat
STARTING OUT

I'm a newbie. =)

Post by CosmoKat »

Hello to everyone!
So lucky me I have stumbled upon ShapeFit, and have really been exploring it and liking it more an more, what a wonderful website!! SO, here's a little about me.. Unlike how I find a lot of stories to start, I have not been overweight whole life, this hasnt been a life time struggle for me, once back in the day, I was actually a very beautiful girl, not to skinny, but not to chubby eather, I always carried what weight I did have very well, so never had any problems with it. Well finally 20 yrs old rolled by, got a bit chubby, then lost it all, then 22 came an went, oh , chub is back! this time it staid, and now.... 24 yrs old, and I'm at a whopping 235 lbs. isnt that crazy?..... Here's whats worst, I didnt even know how bad I was getting.... I would see the number on the scale, but look in the mirror and instead of seeing what was there I saw how I was feeling, which, yea the weight bothered me of course, but I still felt like the "pretty girl" that I always was years before. big awakening was when I heard, OTHER, people.. and what they thought of me. For starters, I was out with some of girlfriends, yea they were all smaller pretty girls, one of them I wouldnt call small, she's just a little chubby but again, I dont mind chub, I think it's pretty on some girls, n e way, I made a joke, that I should go to a fat camp, friend looked at me, didnt say any thing, then looked at the other two girls and said "OMG, could you imagen if me and you two walked into a fat camp! they would be like wtf! y are u skinny bitches here!?!?"... I was sitting there so imbarassed, like I was just playing around but she pretty much said, ya your a lardo and were all skinny! Then, uncle... I was talking to him on the phone and he said, "Why are you so fat?", really? what am I supposed to say to that? then he said "your still pretty in your face at least, thats ok I guess for your "SITUATION".... I was at a clothing store and this lady looked at me an said, "There's no sizes for US big girls huh?"... I dont know.. I'm not denying that any of these people were wrong, it's just, I didnt even realise it!!!!! I didnt know yet, that I was/am a "BIG GIRL".. crap! when did this happen!???

I know what matters most is how I feel about myself, and I feel that even that has had an awakening, I realised that half the time I turn down going out, is because I just dont want to try on 300000 outfits and still not find anything that looks good. Or I havent been to a pool this summer because I look rediculous wearing full on clothing to go in a pool because I wont be caught in a bathing suit.

I could go on and tell many more stories of peoples "comments", even own families remarks, but all that is to me was lightbalb moment, I'm going to do this for ME, to accomplish this huge undertaking and claiming old self once again!!!

Good new is I was actually at 245lbs at highest, and now I'm at 235, but that wasnt done consistently, I would go on and off dieting. biggest obstacle is just persaverence I guess? I start out goin strong, all fired up an ready to go! Then a week or two weeks later I crash, I go on a eating binge and get all depressed after. I just have to dig deep and find the motivation, thats why I'm writing all this, maybe when I'm feeling like just being a "Fun haver!" and ignoring the things I truely do care about, I can come back and read this and remind myself.

Well thank you to everyone who read this, I would appreciate any comments or tips you would like to share, or even your story!!! I LOVE reading the success stories and things like that..
musculargirl
VETERAN

Re: I'm a newbie. =)

Post by musculargirl »

How heavy you are can really suprise you, I know that from personal experience. Without weighing myself i thought i was a certain weight and then i weighed myself and i was about 25 pounds heavier than i thought :oops: But you have youth on your side and it certainly is never too late. Shapefit is a great website for motivation and advice, so welcome!
fitoverforty
VETERAN

Post by fitoverforty »

Yes, the weight we gain can be added gradually, so we don't always see it like others around us see it. I looked at some vacation pictures back from last year - when I thought in mind I was a certain size and that I looked good - then I saw the pictures and it was like "who is that?" OMgosh! I could not believe it was me - what a wake up call! I had managed to pack on 25 pounds and like alot of women, I carry the weight all over, so I just didn't realize it. Yes, clothes were tighter - even had to go up a size (or two :oops: ) but still didn't really think it was all that bad. I would make jokes about it around family - and they would not say anything...that should have been a BIG hint! LOL! :D
But anyway, point is that alot of us have faced or are currently facing the same feelings and issues you are and struggle with the same type of yo yo dieting and depressions.
What this site has helped me to learn is that it isn't about "dieting" - all that leads to is temporary weight loss, that is bound to be regained time and time again.
The key to successful and permanent weight loss is healthy eating - making smart choices of whole grain, unprocessed foods. Lots of veggies, lean meats, healthy fats that come from nuts, LF cheeses, olive oil, etc.
I had to learn to give up the "easy" stuff that I had always used to lose weight - no more frozen diet meals...no more 100 calorie packs of processed foods...stay away from the sweets and fried stuff - period. Eat more fresh fruit, fresh salad with tons of vegetables. Steam bagged veggies are great and so easy! Just dont load them up with butter. Broiled, baked or pan seared with a bit of Olive oil is great for chicken, fish or lean beef. Getting rid of diet colas, sodas is major help and very hard to do - :? but it really does help to lose the weight.
Don't be afraid to ask questions. Read some of the diet and workout journals here, they are really helpful to get an idea of a basic daily menu and workout ideas.
Try to exercise 5 days a week alternating between cardio and strength training. Again, there are tons of suggestions on the Shapefit site, complete exercise demo's. I don't have a gym membership but have learned how to work out at home doing alot of body weight exercises - just basic stuff like reverse crunches, pushups, planks, jumping jacks, burpees, squats, lunges, etc. And I have a stability ball and some resistance bands that really are great for a good, intensive, workout. You Tube has so many great videos of bodyweight workouts, stab. ball & Resistance band workouts.
I hope this helps you, glad you are here!! Keep us up to date with your progress - you will find alot of motivation and support from members here who know and understand the battles and struggles of trying to become more healthy and fit. :D
CosmoKat
STARTING OUT

Post by CosmoKat »

musculargirl= That is SO true isnt it? And I carry weight very very evenly, even to this day I've had a friend try to guess weight, an they thought maybe 180-190 ish, when I told them I'm well over 200 they just couldnt believe it till I got on a scale. That being said, it even make's me wonder if I should be happy with a body weight of lets say? 160 or 170ish? Because at that weight I do look pretty good an am comfortable in clothes. What do you think? And thank you for the welcome! I'm so excited I found this site!!!!

fitoverforty= Thank you so much for the advice, I completely agree, and thank goodness I'm not to much of a soda drinker, so that should b easy, now I do need help with a huge obstacle tho.... the Fiance.... We have been in a 5 year relationship, set to get married early next year, (ANOTHER great reason to get in shape!!!) now, for this past 5 years I have gained comfort weight, and do believe it's one of the reasons I'm the biggest I have ever been. (Still fault tho no matter how u cut it.) Here's the thing tho, he is a very lean rather small guy.. never gains an OUNCE!! And boy what a sweet tooth! anything chocolate and cookies he's GOTTA have it! oh an let's not even get started on the fast food. and sometimes he cooks, where he serves these massive perportions and let face it, not very "healthy" foods. So we will go grocery shopping, and I will be healthy focused, but I pretty much use our entire budget on healthy items, and it pretty much leave's him to fend for himself with no money left... lol! It makes' me feel really bad.. but honestly, I've tried talking to him about it, I dont think he's gunna come around and eat healthy, I think he's actually afraid of loosing weight, because he wants so badly to gain. What do I do!?!?!?!?!!? (P,s, I've tried cooking healthy for me, and cook what he likes, HELLO, way to much work, and... that starts getting even MORE expensive.. and let's not even talk about the temptation!!!)
I think I will actually post a whole new topic on this as well, because I'm thinking this is one of greatest obstacles right now...
musculargirl
VETERAN

Post by musculargirl »

CosmoKat wrote:That being said, it even make's me wonder if I should be happy with a body weight of lets say? 160 or 170ish? Because at that weight I do look pretty good an am comfortable in clothes. What do you think?
I think it depends on what you think a healthy weight is and what doctors would recommend. I don't know for you height and build what would be a good weight. Not to mention how much body fat you have on you versus muscle sense muscle weighs more than fat. I'm not really a great person to give advice sense I'm struggling with own weight issues. :) But I do wish you the best of luck and know you will find great support and motivation here! :)