Pinky's journal

Post your workout journals so others can review your training and follow your progress!

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

LittlePinky82
STARTING OUT

Pinky's journal

Post by LittlePinky82 »

Hi everyone. I'm new here. I'm 28 and a college student majoring in criminal justice. I hope to finish bachelor's by next fall if all goes according to plans. I do want to work at the fed level for either NCIS, Secret Service or U.S. Marshals. No matter what I want to do in this field I know I need to be fit. As I told a friend I want to be a cop who likes chasing after people. 8) Growing up I was always pretty average for height. It wasn't until either jr or senior yr of high school that I started to gain weight. I was really surprised because I was active in school's band and we actually marched around and had tough routines and did football games and competitions and had long hrs of practice. After high school in early 2002 I did lose 20 lbs on just hard core cardio a lone (jumping jacks, jump rope etc). Sadly I stopped all that and eventually gained a lot of weight. I was at heaviest in August of 2009 at 255. Earlier in the yr obgyn suggested I start watching calories and I'd see results. I didn't really think much of it because I never had any major health issues or anything.

In the summer of 2009 I did some online classes since family didn't go anywhere for vacation because father wanted to work on the house and our yard some. So I took the opportunity to get some things done which included a speech class. I was able to do speeches on own and had to record them and send them in. Before sending them in I watched through them to make sure everything was okay with the sound etc. That's when I really saw myself I think for the first time in a few years. I didn't like what I saw and I knew I needed to change. I started watching calories. From the end of August til February 2010 I lost about 15 or so lbs just by doing that. I decided to get in better physical shape. Definitely I was out of shape. It was tough to walk around doing errands at the store or just around the house and walking on campus going to classes and all even though it isn't a terribly big campus or anything. I went to Exercisetv.tv and looked through their free video's and put together a 10 min routine and just started working out for five days a week. I did that til the beginning of April when I came across Jay Johnson on cable's "On Demand" Exercise TV section. He had video's from the Dallas Cowboys cheerleaders exercise video and his boot camp. I began doing the cheerleaders cardio routine and the abs video from his boot camp. At first things were so hard and a lot of hurt from the burns especially with the abs.

At the beginning of April I had these cute sweat pants that I couldn't wear and at the end of the month I could. I was so thrilled with that little victory. It was a real motivator. I was also feeling a lot better physically and could do chores and walk around places without huffing and puffing and being embarrassed. From the end of April til now I basically just tried different trainers. I'm now at 224 and clothes are fitting a lot better. I have these nice dress black pants I used to wear in high school. For years I couldn't wear them and now I can and they're even a little loose on me. Shirts are fitting great. I'm now doing Jay Johnson's boot camp cardio routine and I can totally do it fine. I tried it during the time between the end of April til now and I couldn't do it. Now I can do it fine. I still have to stop maybe once or twice to get some water and I breathe hard but I can easily get through the jumping jacks now days and all the other similar tough exercises. I'm also going to start working on this abs video from Cindy Witmarsh. I like her too as a trainer. Even though I know I've come far I still have a lot more to do. diet is a lot better now days and I've cut out a lot of sodas and candy and just blah. body feels a lot better now days and I know I'm a happier person. goal is to get down to at least 124. Here's a before and after picture. :)

The picture in the orange is from the end of August 2009. The one in the purple is from last July (2010). I haven't changed too much since then. I look forward to chatting with people about health and fitness and getting lots of advice! :)
LittlePinky82
STARTING OUT

Re: Pinky's journal

Post by LittlePinky82 »

Lesplease wrote:HI, Pinky! Welcome! I'm so glad you decided to start a journal! The pictures look great, by the way. I can definitely see the changes and you have a fantastic smile! Keep up the good work and I have no doubt you can achieve your goals and start running down the bad people!

What does the routine you are currently doing look like? What about your foods? What kinds of things are you eating on your calorie-count? And out of professional curiosity, are there any foods you find bog you down or make you tired? Anything that you like to eat that makes you feel energized and refreshed?

See you around!

Les
Thanks. Yeah I can see differences in face and around abs area is a lot flatter now days. :) So I'm happy about that. I'm mostly working on everything else haha. current routine is just the Jay Johnson boot camp cardio routine. You can probably see it on ExerciseTV.tv website or Youtube maybe clips. I want to get his abs video and saw it at Target (on their site) for a good price. So maybe the store near me will have it. :) I was going to do this abs video from Cindy Witmarsh but I am just too tired tonight and haven't been getting much sleep lately. I've been so tired I can't sleep if that makes sense. As for foods I just watch calories. For lunch I'll just have something light and dinner what the rest of the family has but in smaller portions. So really it just depends on the day and it's more of a meal by meal and day by day thing. Not really on foods that I eat now days. I don't eat a lot of junk now days so I don't really have that issue anymore and same with the others but I do love green apples and strawberries and those make me really happy. :)
Bonnie
VETERAN

Post by Bonnie »

Welcome to shapefit :) Is there a gym on your campus ?
LittlePinky82
STARTING OUT

Post by LittlePinky82 »

Bonnie wrote:Welcome to shapefit :) Is there a gym on your campus ?
I believe so. campus is small as a school so I dunno how big it is. I don't really do gyms right now. Mostly just cardio stuff and I have own dumbells for weight stuff. I just feel more comfortable that way right now.
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

I'm happy that you made the choice to change and you've stuck with it. You deserve to be very proud of yourself for that.

It's not always easy for someone to admit they need to change, it no doubt hurts when acceptance of physical shortcomings, becomes a big part of a persons life, but it takes some courage and heart to try and change and stick to it, beyond the point where most people just give up so easily.

I think you CAN do this and I think you ARE worth it. Keep believing, kepe smiling and be patient and understnading with yourself. It is a learning curve, but as long as you have the heart and strength of mind, to keep pushing and believing then you WILL succeed.

Good luck :). I think you're a pretty amazing young Lady and I hope your future works out, because I think you're worth that too :).
EdgarHF
HIGH FLYER

Post by EdgarHF »

Welcome Pinky. You'll find a supportive and knowledgable group here. Well, everyone is knowledgable except me. I'm just a rookie at this health thing. You've made a great first step :D
musculargirl
VETERAN

Post by musculargirl »

You can do it Pinky! I have quite a bit of weight to lose too so I know where you are coming from. Good luck and you really will find a supportive, kind atmosphere here! :)
LittlePinky82
STARTING OUT

Post by LittlePinky82 »

Boss Man wrote:I'm happy that you made the choice to change and you've stuck with it. You deserve to be very proud of yourself for that.

It's not always easy for someone to admit they need to change, it no doubt hurts when acceptance of physical shortcomings, becomes a big part of a persons life, but it takes some courage and heart to try and change and stick to it, beyond the point where most people just give up so easily.

I think you CAN do this and I think you ARE worth it. Keep believing, kepe smiling and be patient and understnading with yourself. It is a learning curve, but as long as you have the heart and strength of mind, to keep pushing and believing then you WILL succeed.

Good luck :). I think you're a pretty amazing young Lady and I hope your future works out, because I think you're worth that too :).
Thanks. Haha yeah very true with all that about changing. Especially if you're very stubborn. :oops:
Welcome Pinky. You'll find a supportive and knowledgable group here. Well, everyone is knowledgable except me. I'm just a rookie at this health thing. You've made a great first step :D
Even though I've learned a lot already I'm still a rookie too so don't worry. :) You'll learn as you go.
You can do it Pinky! I have quite a bit of weight to lose too so I know where you are coming from. Good luck and you really will find a supportive, kind atmosphere here! :)
Thanks. :) Good luck to you too. I lurked a bit before I joined and it looked like a nice place.

A tiny update: I've been doing fine this week. I was hoping to do boot camp cardio today but didn't get much sleep last night so I may try again later tonight and see how I am doing. I'm more of a night owl. I noticed earlier this evening though that a lot of fat around the bottom of arm is going away. :-D I was happy to notice that because I've been wanting that to go away for a while now. With the cardio boot camp you do jumping jacks and things like that with it so I wonder if that has been helping. So far I haven't gained anything this week and still eating enough to feel full comfortably. I felt like I over ate earlier today at lunch and decided to weigh in and I didn't gain anything. Whew. :) Oh and on the second day of doing the cardio I was able to do the jumping jacks fully and didn't have to stop or anything. I was so proud of myself. You do it the army style if that makes sense. So I was so proud of myself. Even though I'm huffing strongly still it's for not as long as I was so I'm getting in better shape from what I've done thus far. :) I think I'm going to enjoy this boot camp cardio routine.
LittlePinky82
STARTING OUT

Post by LittlePinky82 »

So I missed working out and am finding myself that I'm loving the boot camp cardio and each time I find I'm improving. So I felt bad for not working out earlier in the day, so I waited about thirty min's or so after I ate some light dinner. I had some ceasar pasta and a little bit of spaghetti with unsweetened tea. Sometimes the tea mother fixes has half a cup of sugar because fathers teeth can't handle too sweet stuff. Basically when he was younger (in his 20s) he had a bad motorcycle accident and now has fake teeth basically (you so can't tell unless you know) so sweet stuff isn't really around here much which is good for me. :) So I did the 14 or so minute workout. Even though it isn't very long it can be brutal. I was still able to make it through the jumping jacks and when you do the next one I made it half way through. breathing is sometimes hard when I'm getting closer to the end now. It's still not as long as before. legs still feel like jelly. I sat down and rested for a few min's until I thought I was fine and came downstairs to get on the computer and finish listening to a radio program. When I was walking down the stairs the area around calves it felt like there was weights around them and it was tough coming down the stairs. I had to push through and once I made it down to the main floor legs were just so like jelly. I'm so enjoying this workout. Even though I'm dead tired and legs are weighted down I want to do it again. Even though I'm just so tired I just want to run around and feel full of energy heh. On edit breathing at the beginning now isn't as hard as it was. :)
LittlePinky82
STARTING OUT

Post by LittlePinky82 »

I caught a cold Sunday morning and was feeling icky and had it until today. Still have a stuffy nose but I'm feeling better at least. I'm going to wait another day or two to make sure I'm fully back to normal and make sure I'm feeling better before getting back into routine. It sucked since I had just began on boot camp cardio stuff. Classes have started back so I'm also working on that. I've been noticing stomach changing again with eating habits. I'm getting full more quicker and I haven't really changed menu or anything. I haven't gained any weight in the last few days which has been good since I've not been exercising cause of feeling sick. I really want to lose on arms and so now I'm looking for some good arm exercises. So if anyone has any to recommend feel free. :) I just have 5 lb dumbells.
LittlePinky82
STARTING OUT

Post by LittlePinky82 »

So it's been a little while since I've updated and I apologize. Classes have been going under way and I've been getting into the swing of things with that so I don't get behind. It's been going pretty well. :) Last week I came across on cable's "On Demand" Exercise TV section this tab on walking. I've seen it on there before but never clicked on it before. I saw there were some video's and one was with walking a mile and the other was two miles. So just about twenty or so min's ago I decided to give it a try. I thought it looked like a good way to get introduced to walking. I could feel hamstrings working and thighs area. With the walk you start off at a decent pace and then it speeds up after a good min or two. In the warm up you also add in other things like side steps and front kicks. So you're working other muscles that you might not work on in a regular outdoor walk. So I'm going to give this a try and see how it works. I'm pretty good with the cardio so I figured I needed to work on walking and eventually I hope to work on running. I'm not going to set a time limit on anything just whenever I reach physical goals. It felt really great to actually walk a mile and I didn't have to stop to take a breath or get a drink. I was actually quite proud. :)
LittlePinky82
STARTING OUT

Post by LittlePinky82 »

Lesplease wrote:Good job (:

How are the weights comin?
I need to get back into them. I'm only using 5 lb dumbells now. Some things I do with them I'm still weak on so I know I'm not ready yet for higher lbs. Sometimes in left shoulder when I do things I'll have these two bones that will cross or rub together or something. It's really weird. Doesn't really hurt or anything though. I read somewhere, forgot where, that it might be arthritis? Whenever I have problems with bones like that or left knee I just drink milk and that seems to work? First thing I did when I woke up earlier was do one mile walk. It felt great and legs are getting a good workout. Maybe in a month or two I'll have more slender legs. :P
musculargirl
VETERAN

Post by musculargirl »

I don't know about milk helping out with stuff like that but glad to know it works for you!! I'm going to have to look and see if cable has somekind of on demand exercise shows. If there free i would like to see what they have! Glad to see your doing good. :)
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

LittlePinky82 wrote:So it's been a little while since I've updated and I apologize.
Hey there, no need to apologise :). You've got your own life and you're human after all. Just keep doing what's best for you and keep being proud of yourself for continuing to stick at it. You're a great person, so chin up, good luck and best wishes.
LittlePinky82
STARTING OUT

Post by LittlePinky82 »

So I haven't logged in a while so I thought I would. I've just been busy with college and keeping up with assignments. I'm doing two classes this term and both are on online so I'm on own with that and just gotta keep up with the assignments and it's going fine. :) I haven't gained or lost in a little while so I'm going to get back into working out at least 10-20 min's a day is goal. Besides working on this term nothing else has been going on. Just felt like I should login and update. :)