weight loss with pcos..

Discuss female concerns here.

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

phat_gurl
STARTING OUT

weight loss with pcos..

Post by phat_gurl »

heylo!!
guys n gals...iam a newbie over here.. name is shraddha and iam from india...
i am 23 years old and ive been diagnosed with pcos for over 6 months now...
i ve been taking homeopathy treatment for 3 weeks now for pcos.. doc says that the reason for weight gain is pcos...
and i am sure it is but not fully...ive been in stress since i can remember which in turn lead to overeating and no social activity..
i wanna lose weight now and motivated enough to do so..iam a college going student here and its difficult for me to manage gym fees..
i am almost 50 kgs over weight.. current weight is 103 kgs and iam 5 feet 2 inches tall..
i ve read many success stories over here but most of them leads to joining a gym which in case is difficult coz getting a personal trainer and joining a good gym is costly
..can u guys tell me what can i do at home in form of yoga,aerobics..or anything which can be done without gym???
i see in most of the stories ppl have done weight training of sorts..how can they be done at home if possible..
due to pcos its difficult for me to lose weight just on diet..and if i do it finds its way to come back again..ive been walking for 30 mins a day regularly for
over 3 weeks now with normal diet...which means no over eating and very less intake of sugar..but it has not helped even in losing weight or feeling active..if i walk more feet hurt..
is there any walking patern or shud i take breaks and walk so that i can walk more and it doest hurt feet..
overall i am very huge especially and biceps ...as it is i find it hard to start the workout.now with no change i am lacking motivation also :(
.any suggestions of sorts are welcome...
thanks..waiting for replies:)
Last edited by phat_gurl on Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
swanso5
VETERAN

Re: weight loss with pcos..

Post by swanso5 »

what's pcos?
phat_gurl
STARTING OUT

about pcos...

Post by phat_gurl »

What is polycystic ovary syndrome?

It is common for women to have polycystic ovaries, which means their ovaries develop more follicles than normal every month. Usually about five follicles start to mature during each menstrual cycle and at least one egg-containing follicle releases a mature egg at ovulation. But a polycystic ovary starts maturing at least twice as many follicles than normal, most of which enlarge and ripen but do not release an egg.

It is estimated that between 22 and 33 per cent of women have polycystic ovaries. Some women go on to develop polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS), which means they have other symptoms in addition to polycystic ovaries.

PCOS happens when their hormonal system gets out of balance, making ovulation rare or irregular, and causing other changes in the body. Polycystic ovary syndrome is estimated to affect between 5 and 15 per cent of women of reproductive age, and it is thought to be more common in women of Asian descent.

What causes PCOS?

The real cause is still unknown to experts. However, research indicates that the root of the problem is most probably resistance to the hormone insulin, which means you need more insulin than usual to regulate the levels of sugar in the body. The extra insulin causes an imbalance in the hormones that usually make your menstrual cycle run smoothly.

Too much luteinising hormone (LH) is produced compared to follicle-stimulating hormone (FSH), which in turn causes the follicles on the ovaries to produce more of the hormone testosterone than the female hormone oestrogen. The adrenal glands start to produce increased amounts of testosterone as well.

Too much testosterone prevents ovulation, along with other symptoms related to the syndrome. Oestrogen is still produced but, because the follicles never get to the point of maturity when progesterone production starts to increase, women with PCOS can be deficient in progesterone.

PCOS may be hereditary as well. Studies show that women with a family history of polycystic ovaries are 50 per cent more likely to develop PCOS.

What are the symptoms?

Many women who have polycystic ovaries start having irregular or infrequent periods within three or four years of starting to menstruate. About half the women affected by this condition also gain weight and have excessive hair growth to varying degrees.

If you have polycystic ovaries you may suffer from:

• irregular or non-existent periods

• very light or very heavy bleeding during your period

• mild to moderate abdominal discomfort

• excessive hair growth on your face, chest and lower abdomen

• acne

• excessive skin growth on your neck or in your armpit, also called as skin tags.

PCOS may also increase the risk of:

• high blood pressure

• high level of blood cholesterol

• problems related to liver and heart

• type 2 diabetes

• sleep apnea.

You may also be:

• infertile

• overweight.
swanso5
VETERAN

Post by swanso5 »

ah i know that, fiance has it or something similar

i'm pretty sure that doesn't induce wt gain, if you take med's for it though they definately will
phat_gurl
STARTING OUT

Post by phat_gurl »

its one of the cause for weight gain apart from emotional eating and stuff..earlier when i use to go on diet i used to reduce weight but since this pcos i donno its just not going down :( ..
phat_gurl
STARTING OUT

Post by phat_gurl »

about the meds....normal doc will keep me on contraceptive pills which i never wanted to go on ...coz in long run it has many side effects so i chose homeopathy medicines..which has no side effects..the process is slow..but if i lose weight..pcos can be corrected..and guess what iam not losing weight thats the prob.
phat_gurl
STARTING OUT

Post by phat_gurl »

ive gone through all blood tests..thyroid and stuff is normal..
swanso5
VETERAN

Post by swanso5 »

well get your head right and eat right and you'll be fine then
ladykahlo
STARTING OUT

Post by ladykahlo »

Hey -
I have PCOS too and it has been super weird to deal with it. I was on Metformin for a bit. And on birth control. It didn't really help. But can you go see a nutritionist? I don't know how reliable forums can be for information.
jarichon
STARTING OUT

Post by jarichon »

any kiwis out there who have the momentum weight loss pills system??.....i am looking 4 workout friends 2 join me and we can help each other with our goals
lets look after our hearts 2gether