Curls problem

Questions or concerns about specific exercises? Post them here!

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

cuchulain
STARTING OUT

Curls problem

Post by cuchulain »

Any time I do an isolated exercise for biceps it causes a lot of pain when I straighten out arms for 3-5 days after doing it. I stretch well before and after because it seems I have always had this problem. Anything else I should be doing or should I just not do this exercise?
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Re: Curls problem

Post by Boss Man »

Are you training Biceps as well? If so do that, or you'll encounter issues when the Antagonistic muscle is not strong enough, to adequately counteract the movement of the Agonist.

The other option is just stop doing the exercise that is causing the issue altogether.
Packard
VETERAN

Post by Packard »

Where exactly is the pain?

Is it in the muscle or the joint?

If it is in the muscle, is it at the bottom of the biceps (near the elbow) or the top of the biceps (nearer the shoulder)?
cuchulain
STARTING OUT

Post by cuchulain »

The pain is in the muscle. The forearm just before elbow and the bicep just above elbow. It hurts when I try to extend arm after not moving for awhile. I know the non idiot thing would be to not do the exercise but I was hoping someone on the forum would perhaps have an answer. Thanks
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

Try some sort of stretching beforehand when the muscle is warm, or do some kind of warm-up sets and see if that helps at all.
Packard
VETERAN

Post by Packard »

cuchulain wrote:The pain is in the muscle. The forearm just before elbow and the bicep just above elbow. It hurts when I try to extend arm after not moving for awhile. I know the non idiot thing would be to not do the exercise but I was hoping someone on the forum would perhaps have an answer. Thanks
Try doing this diagnostic test.

Pinch your thumb and pointer finger together. Does it hurt in the same place?
Pinch your thumb and middle finger together. Does it hurt?
Repeat with your ring finger.

Let me know what you find.
cuchulain
STARTING OUT

Post by cuchulain »

I feel it the most with thumb and ring finger more in forearm and elbow joint.
Packard
VETERAN

Post by Packard »

I don't beleive that the curls are the cause of the problem; there are the manifestation of the problem.

It sounds like tendonitis.

There are two likely culprits: pulldowns, or tricep extensions. Does it hurt on the inside (nearest to the chest) of the elbow or the outside (funny bone side).

Once I know that answer I will know which is the culprit and how to eliminate the problem.
cuchulain
STARTING OUT

Post by cuchulain »

on the outside/funny bone
Packard
VETERAN

Post by Packard »

OK. This is tendonitis caused by a poor grip in exercizes like pull downs, dead lifts, rows, etc.

As you lift the heavy weight causes the little finger and the ring finger to lose some of their wrap around the bar and it causes the tendonitis.

This is easy to address.

First option: stop exercising for 6 weeks. (Not a good option)

Second option: buy a grip wrap. These are about $5.00 to $10.00 a pair and are made from canvas straps. Read the instructions that come with them. The take a lot of the strain off the grip. Use these until the pain goes away (about 6 weeks). Then put them away. If you continue to use them you will not develop a strong grip.

Make sure you wrap all your fingers tightly around the bar. If you see that your pinky and ring finger are starting to unwrap, then you need to use the grip wraps or you need to use a lighter weight.
cuchulain
STARTING OUT

Post by cuchulain »

Thanks for all the info. I will definately get the straps and use all of your advice.
Packard
VETERAN

Post by Packard »

This what the straps look like:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002SK ... Y6J10HV2TC" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Because of the shipping costs it may be cheaper to buy locally.

Note: It will take about 6 weeks to heal. Make sure you have all your fingers wrapped tightly around the bar for all pulling exercises.
cuchulain
STARTING OUT

Post by cuchulain »

Got the straps. Thanks for the info. I am more aware of grip now. I was barley using pinkie and ring finger especially on right hand. I appreciate all the help.
Packard
VETERAN

Post by Packard »

For some reason or other, the damage you do in other exercises shows up in curls.

The other kind of damage comes from triceps extensions. If you let the weight crash back towards you your forearm will smash into your biceps and yank the elbow out of joint. You will end up with pain in the elbow but it will not show up while squeezing the fingers together. So watch out for that problem. You can minimize it by doing your triceps before you work your biceps (your biceps will pump up and increase the chance of smashing the forearm into the bicesp).

If you are under 30 then you should heal in 4 - 6 weeks. Then just watch your grip and keep the wraps in a safe place. Don't use the wraps until you see that you are losing your grip. That way you will build grip strength. You only need to use the wraps during pulling exercises (pull downs, rows, dead lifts, etc.)
PuroRock327
SOCIAL CLIMBER

Post by PuroRock327 »

Great info and 'troubleshooting' (sorry, that's an IT term) Packard.