How about eggs!

Discuss anything related to dieting, nutrition, recipes and food facts.

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

Frenchmaid1969
HIGH FLYER

How about eggs!

Post by Frenchmaid1969 »

(Is there any true to this because i eat a few egg a week)I just read that One egg has more cholesterol than Double Down

For anyone watching their cholesterol, Canadian researchers say eating a single egg could be more harmful than munching the current king of fast food indulgences.

According to a new report published in the Canadian Journal of Cardiology, one egg yolk can contain more cholesterol than a KFC Double Down sandwich.

Compared to the 150 milligrams of cholesterol contained in the now-famous sandwich comprised of bacon, cheese and sauce sandwiched between two pieces of deep fried chicken, researchers say a single egg can contain between 215 and 275 milligrams. A Big Mac contains just 75 mg of cholesterol, while a footlong meatball sandwich from Subway packs 90 mg.

He says a large Canadian egg has 195 milligrams of cholesterol and the Double Down, according to the nutritional information posted at kfc.ca, has 150 milligrams of cholesterol. As well, the Double Down has 30 grams of fat and 540 calories. A large egg, on the other hand, has 5 grams of fat and only 70 calories.
Frenchmaid1969
HIGH FLYER

Re: How about eggs!

Post by Frenchmaid1969 »

brentyboy wrote:Cholesterol is quite misunderstood.
so is it ok for me to eat a few eggs a week?
badversion
ESTABLISHED MEMBER

Post by badversion »

Go for egg whites not the yolk.
yolk is bad that too in large quantity.
preference is 5 egg whites 1/2 egg yolk
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

Egg Yolks contain roughly 60% HDL Cholesterol and 40% LDL Cholesterol.

Read sticky on Cholesterol, it should still be here. Then you'll understand the difference between the two Cholesterol types and how good or bad they are, depending on thier amounts in the body.
Frenchmaid1969
HIGH FLYER

Post by Frenchmaid1969 »

Boss Man wrote:Egg Yolks contain roughly 60% HDL Cholesterol and 40% LDL Cholesterol.

Read sticky on Cholesterol, it should still be here. Then you'll understand the difference between the two Cholesterol types and how good or bad they are, depending on thier amounts in the body.
ok thanks Boss Man!
Pakulika
STARTING OUT

Post by Pakulika »

Over the course of a year and a half I lost 30 pounds and lowered cholesterol by 40 points, all the while eating two eggs every morning. I don't believe there is a direct correlation between the cholesterol we eat and the cholesterol our body generates. An overall "healthy diet" and excercise are the most important.
Frenchmaid1969
HIGH FLYER

Post by Frenchmaid1969 »

Pakulika wrote:Over the course of a year and a half I lost 30 pounds and lowered cholesterol by 40 points, all the while eating two eggs every morning. I don't believe there is a direct correlation between the cholesterol we eat and the cholesterol our body generates. An overall "healthy diet" and excercise are the most important.
Oh ok cool, well i print the article that Boss Men told me to read i will read it tonigh. I go for reg. blood work and cholesterol is fine the good is high and bad is low....the only thing was that last year tryclicerine was a bit higher then the previous year... not to alarm the doctor but just a bit higher he said i don't know what i did that cause that but ...

You boil your eggs or you cook then in the pan?
Goodfortitude
STARTING OUT

Post by Goodfortitude »

I don't think that a few eggs per week will harm you any. It's not as if it's processed food which, in opinion, is far worse. I sometimes eat 3 eggs in one breakfast with a slice or two of wheat toast and a glass of orange juice or low-fat milk. Sometimes I throw out a single yoke, sometimes I don't. An in-law of mine has a cholesterol problem which is completely genetic. He has to be extremely careful how much cholesterol he gets from food. His will go up extremely high and very quickly. For most, it really isn't a major issue unless they're just hyper-consuming it. If you were eating them every single day that might be a problem, depending on how many you were eating and what your body could handle. But, "A few a week"? I say, go for it... as long as you don't have any preexisting medical condition. They're a very healthy food source. Besides, there are much worse sources that you could be getting your cholesterol from.
Frenchmaid1969
HIGH FLYER

Post by Frenchmaid1969 »

Goodfortitude wrote:I don't think that a few eggs per week will harm you any. It's not as if it's processed food which, in opinion, is far worse. I sometimes eat 3 eggs in one breakfast with a slice or two of wheat toast and a glass of orange juice or low-fat milk. Sometimes I throw out a single yoke, sometimes I don't. An in-law of mine has a cholesterol problem which is completely genetic. He has to be extremely careful how much cholesterol he gets from food. His will go up extremely high and very quickly. For most, it really isn't a major issue unless they're just hyper-consuming it. If you were eating them every single day that might be a problem, depending on how many you were eating and what your body could handle. But, "A few a week"? I say, go for it... as long as you don't have any preexisting medical condition. They're a very healthy food source. Besides, there are much worse sources that you could be getting your cholesterol from.
ok! thanks Good!!! I dont eat it every week but sometime there week when i really feel for having eggs.. so i might have 2 or 3 that week!
CristinaZepol01
STARTING OUT

Post by CristinaZepol01 »

i have stayed away from eggs ever since I was diagnosed to have a fatty liver. no one bit of egg for me. it's got a lot of cholesterol :( i miss eating eggs though
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

If you're bothered, use Omega-3 Eggs, (Chickens fed Flax), as this can have a Cholesterol lowering effect.
Frenchmaid1969
HIGH FLYER

Post by Frenchmaid1969 »

CristinaZepol01 wrote:i have stayed away from eggs ever since I was diagnosed to have a fatty liver. no one bit of egg for me. it's got a lot of cholesterol :( i miss eating eggs though
Hum that weird i always have pain when i got gall bladder remove i ask the doc to send me for ultarsound and they said that i had some fat deposit on liver but he said nothing to concern him, he just said to change what i eat and don't drink much alcohool which i dont really only in the summer sometime casualy!!! But he did not talk about eggsss....
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

Don't be concerend by Cristinas post Frenchie. She may have made the choice to stop eating eggs consciously, not necessarily in light of her medical circumstances.

If she felt stopping Eggs may have been beneficial thne fine, but you shouldn't necessarily stop eating them, unless you want to, or have been specifically told to for good reason(s), by a credible medic.
Frenchmaid1969
HIGH FLYER

Post by Frenchmaid1969 »

Boss Man wrote:Don't be concerend by Cristinas post Frenchie. She may have made the choice to stop eating eggs consciously, not necessarily in light of her medical circumstances.

If she felt stopping Eggs may have been beneficial thne fine, but you shouldn't necessarily stop eating them, unless you want to, or have been specifically told to for good reason(s), by a credible medic.

Ok thank Boss Man, i eat maybe a few eggs a week I love egg salad on some brown bread and sometime i just put it on a stick of celery. The problem is everytime i eat egg salad i mix some green olive in it... i know there a lots of sodium in it but it taste so good!!! :D
Quintin
STARTING OUT

Post by Quintin »

Frenchmaid1969 wrote:(Is there any true to this because i eat a few egg a week)I just read that One egg has more cholesterol than Double Down

For anyone watching their cholesterol, Canadian researchers say eating a single egg could be more harmful than munching the current king of fast food indulgences.

According to a new report published in the Canadian Journal of Cardiology, one egg yolk can contain more cholesterol than a KFC Double Down sandwich.

Compared to the 150 milligrams of cholesterol contained in the now-famous sandwich comprised of bacon, cheese and sauce sandwiched between two pieces of deep fried chicken, researchers say a single egg can contain between 215 and 275 milligrams. A Big Mac contains just 75 mg of cholesterol, while a footlong meatball sandwich from Subway packs 90 mg.

He says a large Canadian egg has 195 milligrams of cholesterol and the Double Down, according to the nutritional information posted at kfc.ca, has 150 milligrams of cholesterol. As well, the Double Down has 30 grams of fat and 540 calories. A large egg, on the other hand, has 5 grams of fat and only 70 calories.

Hi everyone,
Many of us misunderstand what actually the cholesterol is.Cholesterol is a waxy steroid metabolite found in the cell membranes and transported in the blood plasma of all animals.It is required by our body in some amount.Egg is rich in protein and healthy so some body told you wrong there is no medical proof behind this claim.