Do fat people lift heavier than skinny people?

Discuss your weight training questions, concerns and tips!

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

skully
REGULAR

Do fat people lift heavier than skinny people?

Post by skully »

Okay, I am starting to doubt abilities and feel like shit about the amount of weights I lift.

In gym, this girl has been training for a long time (all cardio!) she's a bit meaty, but also have natural musclar body. She's like a mesmo-endo you could say/tell.

She has been doing weights like (proper) with a BB in our gym (who's training her) for ONE MONTH. Yet before that she wasn't lifting heavy, barely 10-15 kgs...etc....

Thing is, SHE now lifts almost as much as me, if not a bit more. And I hate this! Can't say I don't feel jealous because I do. I feel like I've bene training for one effing year...and I am still stuck with little weights and can't lift more...for a lot of reasons. ONE, no spotter. Of course i won't be able to lift heavy. TWO, i am naturally skinny/boney looking apparently ( or was), i look better now...

i noticed fat/meaty people lift heavier than skinny people - what's the deal with that? I honestly feel I look A LOT better than i did one year ago. I def have obvious muscles in legs, even if im standing i see quad lines calves..etc. arms look a bit bulkier in the mirror and sort of ripped yet not so obvious w/o pics/mirror....i dunno =S.

Is it fauly im not lfiting heavy or is it the circumnstances around me that aren't allowing me to? I sort neglected exercise ( in terms of quality that 1.5 months because of finals, projects, & GRADUATION (happening in 2 weeks)...so the next 2 months ill be off b4 i decide to work. amd really start eating like a cow and train like a madman(or women) and MAKE RESULTS happen.

I just benched 40kgs the other day (2 reps). For me to do 10 reps I think I need 6 months, while in reality i should do it within 2 months. Again, no spotter...cannot do without risk of injry...

HELP!!!
PuroRock327
SOCIAL CLIMBER

Re: Do fat people lift heavier than skinny people?

Post by PuroRock327 »

If you want to build strength, you have to eat for it.
In order to build the muscle to push heavier weights, you have to feed your body, you will need to increase your calorie intake.
Gradually increase the weight... force your body to adapt with heavier weights and workouts and feed the adaptation with calorie intake.

As for heavier people being stronger... I don't know about that.
I've seen some heavier people who are just naturally strong.
I've seen some who couldn't lift a 45lb plate.

As for the spotter issue... try to use benches and seats to support your workout.
But I promise you that you won't get stronger without a strength training program and the diet to follow. You HAVE to push with heavier weights.
Perhaps use barbells of different sizes (olympic barbells, ez curls, etc), as it's easier to add smaller weights versus dumbells which come in set weights.
It sounds like perhaps you've been working out and have been working out to lose weight and be toned.

All in all aside, I bet you look great.
Rule #1 of working out in a gym:
Don't worry about what anyone else is doing.
There will always be someone stronger and better looking. Keep your head focused on what you need to do.
If you continually compare yourself to others in a jealous manner, you'll always be disappointed. Look for pointers, and judge yourself and others for critique only.
Your route and the route of the other girl are different. Perhaps ask her what her diet is or ask about her routine, then beat her at it!
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

Some people get effects on their lifting based on height.

Someone small who Bench presses at the same speed or cadence as someone significantly taller, has less time under tension, because their range of motion is smaller, so they should fight gravity less with each repetition.

This can help them lift a bit more when compared to much taller people with similar mass.

Also fat and water retention play their part, as they can determine power to weight ratio as well.

So these are certain things to consider.
Bonnie
VETERAN

Post by Bonnie »

Maybe this explains all those people I see lifting so much weight, yet they retain a layer of fat, what for I had no idea.So how does the water & fat aid in the actual process ? Also there is the length of bones, length of muscle, attachment sites, muscle fiber amount, all predetermined genetically.

Puro has a point about the diet & caloric intake, however I'm still a firm believer in quality caloric intake over volume( fillers, junk type food to bump up intake ) I still am only at 1850 calories.As far as a spotter for bench press, someone solved that issue today, use the squat rack with safety bars & a low bench.You DO need to push yourself on the weights BUT heed the body signals, its easy to injure yourself with heavier weights, in the blink of an eye.

Finally don't be jealous of this woman.I say this because I get the same vibe from women ( & some men ) sometimes & what they don't realize is if they asked I'd be more than happy to answer any questions they had.We are all on our own path, with different goals.Sometimes the difference between success & failure is knowledge of how the body works, fuel it needs, adequate sleep, hydration & a huge commitment on your part.Good luck !
skully
REGULAR

Post by skully »

Wow! I jus tsaw those replies. I haven't been getting notifications at all!!!

Okay to reply to y'all
PuroRock327 wrote:If you want to build strength, you have to eat for it.
In order to build the muscle to push heavier weights, you have to feed your body, you will need to increase your calorie intake.
Gradually increase the weight... force your body to adapt with heavier weights and workouts and feed the adaptation with calorie intake.

As for heavier people being stronger... I don't know about that.
I've seen some heavier people who are just naturally strong.
I've seen some who couldn't lift a 45lb plate.

As for the spotter issue... try to use benches and seats to support your workout.
But I promise you that you won't get stronger without a strength training program and the diet to follow. You HAVE to push with heavier weights.
Perhaps use barbells of different sizes (olympic barbells, ez curls, etc), as it's easier to add smaller weights versus dumbells which come in set weights.
It sounds like perhaps you've been working out and have been working out to lose weight and be toned.

All in all aside, I bet you look great.
Rule #1 of working out in a gym:
Don't worry about what anyone else is doing.
There will always be someone stronger and better looking. Keep your head focused on what you need to do.
If you continually compare yourself to others in a jealous manner, you'll always be disappointed. Look for pointers, and judge yourself and others for critique only.
Your route and the route of the other girl are different. Perhaps ask her what her diet is or ask about her routine, then beat her at it!
Thanks for the tips. I know I need to eat more and neglected calorie-intake due to life typical stresses (ie graduating soon). so I'll be back on the wagon prettty soon about that.

I know for a fact she has more muscles than me. All you need to do is take one quick look at her body and then at mine, and you'll see she naturally is stronger due to genetics. I know I shouldn't compare myself. But I've been working out hard for ONE YEAR...and she in one month started lifting what I achieved within 8 months ='(. Would make anyone sad. I am sure she won't be able to do a deadlift with 60kgs, HA!
skully
REGULAR

Post by skully »

Boss Man wrote:Some people get effects on their lifting based on height.

Someone small who Bench presses at the same speed or cadence as someone significantly taller, has less time under tension, because their range of motion is smaller, so they should fight gravity less with each repetition.

This can help them lift a bit more when compared to much taller people with similar mass.

Also fat and water retention play their part, as they can determine power to weight ratio as well.

So these are certain things to consider.
Can you explain to me what do you mean by fat and water retention play their part? In what sense?

We're both quite short around 5'2.
skully
REGULAR

Post by skully »

Bonnie wrote:Maybe this explains all those people I see lifting so much weight, yet they retain a layer of fat, what for I had no idea.So how does the water & fat aid in the actual process ? Also there is the length of bones, length of muscle, attachment sites, muscle fiber amount, all predetermined genetically.

Puro has a point about the diet & caloric intake, however I'm still a firm believer in quality caloric intake over volume( fillers, junk type food to bump up intake ) I still am only at 1850 calories.As far as a spotter for bench press, someone solved that issue today, use the squat rack with safety bars & a low bench.You DO need to push yourself on the weights BUT heed the body signals, its easy to injure yourself with heavier weights, in the blink of an eye.

Finally don't be jealous of this woman.I say this because I get the same vibe from women ( & some men ) sometimes & what they don't realize is if they asked I'd be more than happy to answer any questions they had.We are all on our own path, with different goals.Sometimes the difference between success & failure is knowledge of how the body works, fuel it needs, adequate sleep, hydration & a huge commitment on your part.Good luck !
Thanks Bonnie. I know you're right. I know all of this. I am not discouraged at all, but I can't deny that twing/ting? feeling I get when I see them train. *sigh*. I have upped memebership to other gyms which have those, previous; I was limited to using certain gyms for certain body part...etc..it was complicated and it will be until 1.5 more weeks...then ill be free to sit & write myself a nice gym schedule, meal plans and everything after the next crazy week is over!!!
skully
REGULAR

Post by skully »

Oh and I posed these #'s before...but no one ever replied. Are they little or about right. Those have been achieved within 1 year, no trainer, no nothing, just me.

I'm 52-53kgs, 5'2, 21 years old & I'm an ecto (for the most part -see photo-->)-mesmo

Bench Press Flat: 37.5kgs x 4 reps, recently benched 40kgs with 2.5 reps, Lol.
Deadlift: 60kgs x 1 rep...two weeks ago it was 4 reps.
I cheat a bit when chinups, but using the smith machine and feet are touching the floor, so arms are not fuly extended = 8 reps max...now became 10 on a good day (ie good foot pre-workout)
With pull up, I use the assisted machine and I can put it at 15kgs with 6-8 reps.
Incline dumbell bench press 14kgs x 2
Squats...Those damning squats. As I am using the msith machine, I do feel a bit safer with them, however training with bodybuilder female friend, we decided to drop ego out of thw window (half squats with 55kgs (8reps) down to 30kgs full squats. 30kgs squats is just TOO LITTLE! I want to squat 100kgs - when should I be able to do this? But the end of next year?

Problem when I squat, the tedons near slightly below knees from the side SNAP. & it makes squat exeprience horrible, hence I never or barely go parellel to the the floor and end up with half-cooked squats. consider going to a doc & check it out. THREE people, one physiotherapist/trainer, told me I limp or noticed I walk funny.
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

I talk about Fat and Water retention, because if someone of the exact same height and muscularity as someone else, had a few extra lbs of water weight, it would theoretically affect their power to weight ratio negatively, as the person would have to weightlift with the added weight, working against them to some extent.

The same could be said for extra Fat as well.

Hope that explains things.
T.P.W.
SOCIAL CLIMBER

Post by T.P.W. »

I think that larger people tend to have a larger frame underneath resulting in a greater bone density, giving them a propensity to be naturally stronger as a larger frame means more muscle.

The example I can give is the comparison between me and a friend of mine. I'm 5ft8" and he's around 6ft. I have to fight tooth and nail to see gains (including eating decent meals) and workout regularly, whilst although friend doesn't have a terrible diet by any stretch, seems to be able to eat almost whatever and lift more than me even when he has gaps in-between sessions. The advantage he has over me is a larger frame and broader shoulders (the b******d! lol) :P

Nothing I've said here is based on scientific fact, but just observations and thoughts on the subject as being a short(ish) bloke, I also find it infuriating to see someone just stroll up and lift really heavy weights, especially if they're new to the gym.

Basically, genetics... :)
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

Goog comments and of course personal experiences are as valid as any science, espeially if some science you read is based on testing stuff on pissy cross-sections of people, or people with some kind of physically condition or abnormality that is counter-productive to or biases the outcome of the test.

I saw science once where a measly 22 people were used, to promote the idea that Leg extensions are bad for Knees. The biggest failing was, (aside from the measly cross-section), was that the participants all had bad Knees, so what you're proving is that extensions may aggrevate pre-existing problems, but not cause them.

Might as well in that case use the same logic for other tests, like trying to prove the potential effects from smoking, regarding optical degeneration, by only testing smokers who wear glasses, or trying to prove Creatine might not healthy for the Kidneys, by only testing people with Kidney Stones.

Science is only good when it's good and often experience counts in any walk of life too, so using it to educate is very valid, as far as I'm concerend :).