the spam filter

A place to hang with other members, introduce yourself and discuss practically anything.

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

musculargirl
VETERAN

the spam filter

Post by musculargirl »

this is just a complaint.
I'm not talking about this website but in general when you are signing up for something sometimes they make that spam filter where you have to type what they have really hard to read!! Its annoying! :evil:

I have no idea why they make it so hard to read!
musculargirl
VETERAN

Re: the spam filter

Post by musculargirl »

I understand that but they get them so difficut that a human sometimes can't get them!
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

Well potentially the machines could enter the code, but the codes are random anyway.

Some people use all letters, some use numbers as well and some even use symbols too. Some even use two different words, one of which may just be a collection of random letters, the other an actual word.

The fact is it may stop automated scripts or bots, but it won't protect against human traffic that spams. The only real way I've ever known to deal with some of that, is to block it before it can happen. Source I.P. addresses you know will be likely to used by spam offenders and block them, so they can't be used, pre-empt potantial spam attacks early, when your site is still fresh.

This method is not foolproof however, as you must take care not to block certain networks incase you block legit users, this is dependant of course on which country the network(s) may be and whether it represents a good chunk of your potential user numbers.

India is a pain in the butt, as quite a few indians spam but some don't. Whereas, Korea, Japan and China are almost pure spam users tha\t try to post on sites, and the rest of users from such countries are probably not going to use English, so they're of no relevance to you, in the unlikely event they try to spam, so just blitz the I.P's you find and blitz them good.

It is frustrating when something looks difficult to read, but it isn't that difficult, so if you don't get it once, you'll probably get it at worst second or third time, almost always :).
musculargirl
VETERAN

Post by musculargirl »

It's usually not super difficult I agree. Today i had one that was two words and I tried multiple times to get it right to no avail. It wouldn't give me a new one to try. I had to go out of it and go back in. It was a little bit of a pain. And i've had some before in the past where they have been pretty hard to break the code. :)

Maybe it just shows inept ablity to decipher some of those words though. :wink:
musculargirl
VETERAN

Post by musculargirl »

i had a spam filter today where they have a number of letters and you select the right letter that they say, instead of typing it out. I like that much better. :)
musculargirl
VETERAN

Post by musculargirl »

Love it! Real funny. :)