Football causing lower back problem.

Questions or concerns about specific exercises? Post them here!

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

badversion
ESTABLISHED MEMBER

Football causing lower back problem.

Post by badversion »

I play football on a ground with no grass and being a defender I have to jump high for headers and do lots of awkward clearance which is stressing out back especially lower back and this started when I started going in the bulking stage to get good upper body strength.
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Re: Football causing lower back problem.

Post by Boss Man »

Possible problems.

1. You're bulking incorrectly, I.E. inadvertently favouring posterior over anterior torso muscles, dependant on exercises used, or technique initiaed, causing lower back muscle dominance and potentially mild pulling on the Spine, or incorrect bulking could be developing certain back muscles but not others.

The main muscles around the lower back include, Quadratus Lumborum, Multifidus, (exists roughly the length of both sides of the Spine) and also the Erector Spinae, (Longissimus, Semispinalis and Intercostalis), if you were focusing on certain areas but not others this may be a problem.

Alternatively, if you were strengthening the Traps, Lats Rhomboids etc, more than the lower back muscles, jumping up may cause an issue with upper back, lower back muscle imbalance, possibly leading to some sort of problem with lower back and / or spinal compression on landing a jump. The reasoning being, the shock on landing coupled with more upper back strength / weight, may jar the spine a little, especially if the lower back muscles weren't providing enough support, for the Lumbar and Sacral Spine areas in particular, which make up 10 of the 33 Vertebrae in total.

2. A lifting technique issue, that may not be a problem except when jumping, because jumping may cause minor stretching of the back, especially when combined with the temporary effect, caused by defying gravity before the decent into the landing phase.

3. A Jumping technique issue, perhaps causing jolting of the spine, perhaps exacerbated by old or poor shoe choice.

Those would be things I would consider, just out of logical thinking.
badversion
ESTABLISHED MEMBER

Post by badversion »

Thank you for your reply

Well I dont know if I am going wrong in the bulking stage but I surely don't concentrate on any part specific I do upper-back(cable seated row,lat pulldown), shoulder, chest, lower-body(back extension) all this on 1 day and the 2nd day lower body, exercises like squats w/ weights, lunges w/ weight, leg press, leg curls, calf raises, leg extension.

About the jump technique I just know 1 get up and clear the ball.

and about the shoes. the shoes are new about a month old.

any exercises that may strength back.
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

Try subbing the Back Extensions for Deads and see how that works out. Alternatively try Good Mornings.