will protein shakes help me get abs showing

A forum for anything related to nutritional supplementation including advice and reviews.

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

seanuk
STARTING OUT

will protein shakes help me get abs showing

Post by seanuk »

i'v been working out really hard abs are just starting to show and i'm starting to get i think there called penis lines if i said that wrong sorry lol but i want abs to really show will protein shakes help or put fat on abs?
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Re: will protein shakes help me get abs showing

Post by Boss Man »

Protein shakes are for muscle building, not really for defining muscle.

The action of them on Fat levels largely depends on Carb and Fat amounts in them, and how much of them there are that might be stored as Fat.

Carbs are very good for synthesising Proteins, but some may find a shake with Carbs may be a little Carb rich, causing some Fat conversion from any excess that isn't required by the body.

The shakes would help to build muscle size in the Abdominal area, which does help with fat losses to some extent, as an added lb of muscle, helps burn an extra 45-50 calories, but whilst Protein shakes have some manipulative effects on fat levels in the body, based on the type, what's in them or is added to them, they are not primarily designed for reducing fat.

Products specifically designed for reducing fat are pretty much trash and should be avoided.
seanuk
STARTING OUT

Post by seanuk »

thanks for your help.
jacal1
STARTING OUT

Post by jacal1 »

Protein shakes could actually have the opposite effect, bulking you up and taking away the definition you need. And as the above notes, and herbal supplement that says it reduces fat is likely to be ineffective, short lasting, or even dangerous. There is no real trick except to stick to a great ab routine and try to stay lean - supplements can work for strength, bulk, and power, but not for definition imo.
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

Supplements cna work for definition and so can proteinb shakes. Protein shakes help buil muslce, more muscle burns more calories, and voila, more definition.

Providing that is the diet is good enough and after a certain point, definition will be harder to keep or maintain if you bodybuild and you're really big. At that point, only prohormones or steroids, will achieve low fat and muscle.

It's easier to be a 170lb shredded , than a 190lb shredded .

The types of supplements that are totally inadequate to encourage definition, are things like Fat burners, thermogenic serums and appetite suppressants, as common sense should tell people, but often such common sense eludes people, hence why they use them and allow their saleability to remain viable.
Sunwarrior
STARTING OUT

Post by Sunwarrior »

Boss Man wrote:Supplements cna work for definition and so can proteinb shakes. Protein shakes help buil muslce, more muscle burns more calories, and voila, more definition.

Providing that is the diet is good enough and after a certain point, definition will be harder to keep or maintain if you bodybuild and you're really big. At that point, only prohormones or steroids, will achieve low fat and muscle.

It's easier to be a 170lb shredded , than a 190lb shredded .

The types of supplements that are totally inadequate to encourage definition, are things like Fat burners, thermogenic serums and appetite suppressants, as common sense should tell people, but often such common sense eludes people, hence why they use them and allow their saleability to remain viable.
Precisely what I was thinking. Couldn't have said it better myself 8) . . . . . . . . :lol:
ultimatehlth
ESTABLISHED MEMBER

Post by ultimatehlth »

Protein is not likely your problem. Cut carbs, but do so gradually. When you get the result you want slowly reintroduce the carbohydrates as long as you are not gaining back the fat. I like a mix of 30% protein, 30%fat and 40% carbs in this order of importance: vegetables, fruit, legumes, whole grains.

Change up your workout often and focus on shorter higher intensity full body workouts.
Best,