New updated workout, out with old in with new..

Post your workout journals so others can review your training and follow your progress!

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

fitoverforty
VETERAN

Re: New updated workout, out with old in with new..

Post by fitoverforty »

Do you think it is the BB hip thrusts & Box squats that have helped to build the gluts?
Bonnie wrote:BB Hip thrusts
8 x 8 x 135

Box squats ( milk crate height )
6 x 8 x 85
I was wondering why so many sets? I thought I read a long time ago where Swanso said no need to do more than 24 reps of any exercise?
obviously more sets is working for you...I was just wondering. :D
Bonnie
VETERAN

Post by Bonnie »

Sure if its a regular workout without concentration on one area. This is an actual glut building program, regular rules cease to apply :) Though when I started it was 8 sets of 3 for box squats. I increased that myself. Also added single leg work each workout, as the results were not happening as fast as I wanted. I certainly wouldn't recommend this for a beginner.
Bonnie
VETERAN

Post by Bonnie »

70 minutes for close to 7 miles...10.8 k..Obviously weight training/ sprinting & a good diet can carry one through that long of a run :) Amazing !! I love fitness.That last .8 was killer though, not once did I walk, check this off the bucket list :)

Unfortunately the only food afterwards was the free BBQ ? I can't eat any of that food. So I hopped on the first shuttle back to the train. Came home & cooked myself some eggs & a piece of toast, before I fell on face.

I guess even for charities the cost of healthy food is out of range, because if they are trying to fight cancer, that is SO the wrong type of food. Doubt there are any antioxidants in a greasy burger, weiner or white buns ? Unfortunately for me, socially I have a devil of a time blending in, I know to much about nutrition to ever be " normal " again. Gets lonely on the outside sometimes, then I see reflection & know its all worth it. Happy fathers day :)
fitoverforty
VETERAN

Post by fitoverforty »

Bonnie wrote:This is an actual glut building program, regular rules cease to apply
Oh okay, I understand now. :)

Congrats on completing your 10K! :D
Bonnie
VETERAN

Post by Bonnie »

Thanks :) I won one of those " entertainment 2011 " books in a draw that took place while running.
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

Refined Sugars feeding Cancer cells, yeah true dat.

People offering the ill food to settle their stomachs, regardless of how good it is, sounds a bit wrong to me. It sounds a little bit like doing as little as you think necessary, because doing more would be pointless.

I'm just speaking as I find, I'm not trying to judge any such organisations, because I don't know the state of play, regards their funding, or operating criteria.
Bonnie
VETERAN

Post by Bonnie »

There will have to be a huge shift attitude towards avoiding healthy food. As allison mentioned she would perhaps oversee a fundraising technique to bring healthy food in. The lady basically is saying " this is food they know & are comfortable with ". Now the health professionals should have at least as much nutrition knowledge as I do, so they KNOW they are NOT helping their patients. They have just become complacent in the battle for good health.

Admittedly sometimes it feels pointless. I have a son whom eats horribly & short of being a good example myself I'm not sure what more I can do. I think he see's that in order to be healthy all those foods he eats need to go. That
a) makes more work for people that are already to busy
b) leaves them wondering " what do I eat ? " & will it taste good ?

To much emphasis is put on " food " to make us feel good. When in reality it is needed for bodily functions, not as emotional gratification. A lot of chefs would be out of business if the public actually ate as they NEED to & not for the taste of heavily fatty, salty or sugary foods. None of which are needed for survival.

I used to think fitness was about fat or thin, healthy lung/ heart functions. The most important thing however is the blood, without healthy blood, muscles, organs can't function efficiently which brings it full circle to what is put in ones mouth. Of course with a hormone imbalanced metabolism, certain factors & adjustments would need to be attributed to the overall plan.

I hope to see this public swing to enlightenment in day, but for now I'll be happy to help one client at a time & hope it becomes a lifestyle change :)
Bonnie
VETERAN

Post by Bonnie »

Those are awesome words !

In last course, there was a student who works with cancer patients. As she put it, we are ALL born with cancer cells, but providing them with a breeding or mutation friendly body by eating bad food is OUR choice. There was oatmeal & raisin cookies at work today & by gosh they smelt good, however all I need to do is think " Do I want to make a happy home for cancer cells to mutate & grow into something that could kill me ? " Answer is NO.

Granted an oatmeal cookie is not the worst thing for a person, but it goes beyond the ingredients. I know from experience that the minute I eat that, blood sugar will rise because I'm insulin sensitive now. Anything that alters the natural function of the body leads to risk of diseases. Whole foods eaten at timely intervals according to energy expenditure needs is what is needed. Part of health & weight loss is knowing WHEN to eat things, not just calorie intake per day, complex process but worth finding out what your own body needs are :)

Todays Workout

Warm up etc..

BB hip thrusts
5 x 5 x 150
3 x 5 x 155

Dead lifts
6 x 8 x 105

Chin ups
6/4/4
with
Roll outs
3 x 5

DB split squats
2 x 6 x 22.5
with
Front raises
3 x 6 x 12

Side plank w row
2 x 6 x 50

Ummm besides the tiredness of the muscles from yesterday..I think body was rerouting the carbohydrates intended for thought processes ?!! You know those days where you know your awake but still feel like you just can't wake up ? Yeah one of those, workout felt like it took 6 hours, foggy day. Oh & I ran out of energy for anymore workout, such as chest or even the last bit, only 2 sets. Guess running 7 miles takes more out of a person than I thought, oh well.Hope everyone had a good day :)
Bonnie
VETERAN

Post by Bonnie »

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_art ... _exercises" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Oooo new exercises...they also have the " top five " single leg exercises, which is where mine all came from.
fitoverforty
VETERAN

Post by fitoverforty »

Bonnie wrote:we are ALL born with cancer cells, but providing them with a breeding or mutation friendly body by eating bad food is OUR choice.
that definitely puts it into perpective! I'm gonna print that out. I need to be reminded of that on a daily basis.
Yes, running 7 miles doe take a toll on the ole energy levels and muscle strength. But wasn't it great? How did you like running a bit of distance? Is it something you would do again? I bet you would do great on a triathlon or an adventure style race where you do more than just run - with your upper body strength and leg strength you would do great! Any plans in the future? :D
Bonnie
VETERAN

Post by Bonnie »

Yes its a scary reality, but basically that't what it boils down to. Hmm well I did tell mom last year I'd do the iron man where she lives by the time I'm fifty, so 2.5 years yet ;) Never know. The first 4 k was rough, kept wondering what I'd gotten myself into.Then I concentrated on the back of the chick in front of me, the ferns, the forest, the music. I thought we were coming up on 8 k, to find out it was only 7 ? !! So then I thought surely 8 must be soon. When 10 k went by I noticed hip flexors were putting up some protest. Of course I could hear the finish line & there was NO way in hell I was stopping to walk at that point. Longest .8 k ever..came out of the forest across the finish line. Really the run was a private little victory, like with most things since I started fitness, the goal was " just to see if I could do it ". Plus the added bonus of sponsors donating to cancer in step dads memory.I will do that run next year, not so sure I would do one based on street running though.

Came upon a woman at around 7.5 k, she remarked when I said " OMG a hill "..she had set out to run the 5 k & she said she just kept going, courageous. Eventually I outran her, hope she finished.
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

The slight issue with prepackaged foods, is they sometimes have synthetic ingredients and some don't necessarily have much if any fibre, so low calorie meals in a box, are not as good as they seem sometimes and can cause people constipation from the lack of Fibre, particularly the insoluable kind.
Bonnie
VETERAN

Post by Bonnie »

Not sure what prepackaged food you mean, the cookies were home baked.

Todays workout

foam rolling, warm up etc

Sprints

2 x 8 sec
2 x 7
8 x 6
1 x 5

Still sore from that run, well & the added weights yesterday. Have appointment with sports doctor today for knee issue. guess is probably a small tear, since I've added in the volume of dead lifts, squats & one legged exercises I've not noticed the same level of pain, if any.Will have him look for a tear anyway, good to know where those are.
fitoverforty
VETERAN

Post by fitoverforty »

Bonnie wrote:Hmm well I did tell mom last year I'd do the iron man where she lives by the time I'm fifty, so 2.5 years yet ;) Never know.
Ahhh, the Iron Man - the ultimate test of strength both physical and mental. 2.4 mile swim, 112 mile bike and a 26.2 (marathon) run. A dream of mine as well :D I had a friend that just completed the Houston Ironman - I watched him via live webcam come across the finish line - it was so cool. He is 53 and is a prostate cancer survivor. He said he wanted to do the race to show that it is something that affects anyone and everyone. This guy has always been a health fanatic, eats right, lives a very active athletic life (kind of like Lance Armstrong) Our local paper did a big story on him. Really inspiring.

I've done an Olympic distance - .93 mile swm, 25 mile bike, 10K run - it was an awesome experience, the swim was by far the hardest thing, after that the bike and run were icing on the cake - totally fun. I say GO FOR IT!!
Bonnie wrote:Have appointment with sports doctor today for knee issue.
Ever get those little "bubble wrap" plastic things and pop the little bubbles? The sound it makes is exactly what left knee sounds like when I do lunges or squats. :shock: Like popping about 5 of those little bubble things at once - yeck.
Bonnie
VETERAN

Post by Bonnie »

Well, not sure of popping sounds but I just found out the cracking sound is from the patella ( knee cap ) not tracking properly. I don't have cracking unless I crouch down to pick something up or clean cupboards etc.

Apparently all the leg/glut work I've been doing has taken care of the knee issues. One month ago, when doing reverse lunges I would feel pain on the descent in the back leg. Now I feel nothing. I attribute it to the increase in volume of leg work. I went from 3 sets of 6 per week ( 5 months ago ) to now..3 sets of 6/3x per week. Doctor says I solved own issue, does this mean I can have his pay check ?..:D