milk and zits

Discuss skin, hair and nails here.

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

carrie11
STARTING OUT

milk and zits

Post by carrie11 »

Hi recently I read that there's a study that gives out the possible that Milk can actually cause acne, yikes! if that's the case then we should lessen our milk intake.
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

Where is it? I have never heard anything like that before.
carrie11
STARTING OUT

Post by carrie11 »

Boss Man wrote:Where is it? I have never heard anything like that before.
ye, me too that's why I was surprised when I read that. Just google "milk and acne" ,a lot of results regarding that topic.
DanikaM
STARTING OUT

Re: milk and zits

Post by DanikaM »

I know this is old but...

I've heard the same thing about milk. I took out all dairy from diet and 99% of acne went away then I took out gluten and all of it went away.

I read about that in some books but I'm sure it can be found online. It's because of digestion.
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

Milk can obviously sometimes cause Lactose intolerance, because the Galactose molecule in the Di-saccharide, cannot be digested if there is little to no Lactase enzyme being made in the body.

However the possible link between Milk and breakout, could be down to the fact it has Lactose in it.
DanikaM
STARTING OUT

Post by DanikaM »

Unfourtunitly I've had lactose free milk/cheese and the same thing happens.
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

Well I cannot say for sure then, because I've never heard of this connection between Dairy and breakout before, but assuming Lactose Sugar is ruled out, using your statement as a deciding factor, then logically the only thing that springs to mind, would be the association between Casein and breakout.
fitness12a
STARTING OUT

Post by fitness12a »

I have heard this as well. I do not drink a lot of milk but still get zits from time to time so I guess I will take chances.
DanikaM
STARTING OUT

Post by DanikaM »

Ah yes the casein would make sense too.

Fitness12a: It could be a combination of stuff too. Dairy and Gluten both do the same thing to me. I want granola with oats though! haha
Tallgirll22T
SOCIAL CLIMBER

Post by Tallgirll22T »

I would say the opposite is true. I have recently been on this horrible, restrictive diet where I can't have milk or dairy (which is like favorite food group). Anywho, it didn't work, but what was worse is it made skin break out really bad. Since yesterday I have been drinking the good ole white stuff again, and skin already looks better.
The only way I could see that study making sense is the fact that milk contains a lot of sugar, which can impact your hormones, possibly triggering acne. I however, am partial to milk and don't believe all the hype lately about it being bad. In fact, I recently had to read a bunch of stuff on some crazy website with baseless information condemning milk as cancer causing, and triggering rampant deaths do to heart disease in Portugal. It was for an English college class I'm taking this semester. I think it is all nonsense, and the benefits of milk outweigh the risks unless you are lactose intolerant, or just choose not to drink it due to beliefs or preference. I think almond milk is great, and is lower calorie and sugar, but I still drink skim too.
I personally, think anything condemning milk-drinking is part of the vegan agenda. Frankly, I ignore those people.
Zhaga
SOCIAL CLIMBER

Post by Zhaga »

I LOVE MILK.. and never got acne but I know a lot of people that have acne and most of them don't drink milk.( they say it smells weird) I'm not talking about the Lactose intolerance ppl.. It's about ppl that never wanted to drink milk.... If you ask me its the opposite .. Drink milk and you are good :D :D D:
DeltaDynamite
STARTING OUT

Post by DeltaDynamite »

The hormones and steroids that are injected into the cows get passed on through their milk, and that could be a likely cause of the acne/skin problems. If you must drink cow's milk try Horizon organic. I prefer rice milk. Good luck!