first serious workout routine- tips??

Which workout routine or program is best for your fitness goal? Post your programs here!

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

skmcewan
STARTING OUT

first serious workout routine- tips??

Post by skmcewan »

Hey guys, I've been working out for the past year or so but really fluctuating with weight loss/gain.

I'm just looking to target key areas around stomach and thighs. workout routine the past 2 weeks has been this:

6 Days / Week

Days 1/3/6
CARDIO- 20 MINS
CRUNCHES- 3 SETS OF 10 w/ 30 second breaks
PUSH-UPS- 2 SETS OF 10 (but only the girl ones because I have really weak arms and I'm mostly doing it for back fat)
CARDIO-20 MINS

Days 2/5
WEIGHTS-3 SETS OF 10 (Biceps and triceps respectively)
CARDIO-40 MIN HIGH INTENSITY

I've also reduced caloric intake by 500 cals and started using protein shakes.

Advice??
skmcewan
STARTING OUT

Re: first serious workout routine- tips??

Post by skmcewan »

I am going to keep the cardio just because heart problems do run in family so I would like to try and keep it at bay if I can.
As for the bulking up- I really don't want to anyway, but why won't crunches work?
Sorry for the newby-ish questions. Just never really understood how this stuff worked.

Thanks!
-Sam
gympamela
STARTING OUT

Post by gympamela »

You need to weight train more. It is a common misconception that you will make big gains in the muscle area. It will help tone and drop fat considerably. Keep the cardio, but do it after you weight train. suggestion is to do a workout like this:

bicep curls 3 sets of 12, moderate weight
overhead press 3 sets of 12 moderate weight
tricep extention 3 sets of 12 mod weight
lying leg raises 3 sets to failure
plank 3 sets to failure
leg press 3 sets of 12 mod weight
walking lunges 3 trips down the gym wall with body weight
squats to failure with body weight
cardio

Then run this circuit 2 days on, one day off, three days on, one day off, for 2 weeks, then change it up.

Hope this helps. :D
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

I'sd sub the Crunches for Planks, I think it would work out better if you're in the habit of just doing one direct Abs exercise in a routine.

As for the muscle, it wouldn't come quickly, but 1lb of extra muscle helps burn an additional 45-50 calories, so don't be afraid of female strength, becasue it can look very feminine and beautiful as well, despite what some think and by the look of you, you have good genetics, so you will look beautiful and feminine however your body looks.

A stated, keep calories the same and perhaps think of recording them. Females need around 1,800 a day, if they're sedentary and for men it's the good old 2,000, so if you had another 300-400 a day on top of that 1,800, I think you'll be fine, because you'll have extra calories to burn when you train, so you could reduce the risk of burning muscle.

GOOD LUCK and I also say that in relation to your studies. I'm sure you'll one day make a good music teacher :).
skmcewan
STARTING OUT

Post by skmcewan »

Hi everyone, I have implemented a bit of what all of you have mentioned into workout routine and I'm pretty comfortable with it now.

Thanks for the support, it really helped!
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

Keep us posted won't you, because we are here for you and we want to be here for you for as long as you want bus to be, whether it's 30 days or 30 years :wink:.

GOOD LUCK.
MasterDLyn
STARTING OUT

Post by MasterDLyn »

I think your weight training is good especially if you are just staring out, and although you cant spot reduce, crunches do burn calories and tone abs. suggestion is to pickup on the cardio/aerobic activity. Personally I didn't see any results until I increased cardio (walk/job/incline training) to at least 45 minutes a session. I also stopped counting calories and instead focused on what I was eating and making sure I was full and satisfied so I didn't feel the need to over "snack." Essentially I cut way back on carbs like pasta, rice, potatoes, bread sugar and sweets and rarely eat them at night when I know I won't be expending much energy. I get most of carbs from vegetables, although I allow myself fruit in the morning since I can use the extra energy during the day. You need to train your body to burn fat and not carbs for energy as much as possible. And, although I'm not trying to promote the Atkins diet per se, some of the Atkins snacks (i.e. caramel nut bar) will satisfy the need for sweets without adding to the problem (they are high in fiber, low net carbs. I work with people all the time just beginning a fitness program and I tell them all the same thing, consistency is key. Watch your diet and keep moving and you will see results. Good luck
DLyn
bodyburner
STARTING OUT

Post by bodyburner »

Boss Man wrote:I'sd sub the Crunches for Planks, I think it would work out better if you're in the habit of just doing one direct Abs exercise in a routine.
Thanks for suggesting this great exercise Boss Man. I never knew something like Planks existed :(
Boss Man wrote: because you'll have extra calories to burn when you train, so you could reduce the risk of burning muscle.
But what if weight loss is your main goal? In case, I still have to lose around 18 kgs so I am assuming I have to restrict calories. Will that damage muscle growth as well?
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

Don't restrict calories. Eat what is required.

Added Muscle increase caloric burning by 45-50 calories a day for every additional pound, you build, so restricting calories for some is necessary if thye eat 3,000+ a day and that's why they got overweight, but the wrong thing is to start eating healthy and then have 1,500 or less, as the healthy food will be good, but the lack of nutrients and calories could shut the bodies fat burning inclinations down, by causing something called a "starvation mode", where the body felt it was being starved and would not sacrifice fat.

Get a good calorie and protein intake anmd weight loss and muscle gain are possible in the early stages, although if you intended to get massive size, eventually the muscle building aspects and calories required would counteract the fat burning potential of the muscle, until both fat loss and muscle gain couldn't occur together.

Example 190lb man with 20% fat, versus 190lb man with 10% fat. The first one is natural, the second one almost certainly on steroids, or at least legal Prohormones, although some of those get reclassified sometimes and branded illegal steroids.
WaveMaker
STARTING OUT

Post by WaveMaker »

I would also recommend a smartphone app for logging your progress. I've found that for about $1.00 you can do a lot of really cool stuff, like log your reps, diet, time and distance in your cardio, and view your results over the long term.

I also like MasterDLyn's suggestions regarding diet. If you can keep your carbs coming from veggies, include protein with each meal, and not eat after 8:00pm or so, you should see some great results with your diet. Also, heed Bossman's advice, and be sure to eat what's necessary. Think of your metabolism like a fire: you need fuel to keep it burning hot!!

Good luck!
chichi
STARTING OUT

Post by chichi »

I just started getting back into shape again after having kids but back and shoulders arent what they used to be. I was going the gym and trying p90x but kept getting more stiff.
BOSSMan- I will try adding some planks to workouts too to see if I can tone up stomach.
I recently found a program called yipfit. Has anyone else tried this?
Its made by a Dr. or a physio and it builds daily workout videos based upon a pretty detailed assessment it takes of you.
I will try it out and let you guys know if it works for me. I don't really want bulk, just shed some of the baby weight without hurting myself more.
sanjeev342
STARTING OUT

Post by sanjeev342 »

skmcewan,

I think what you'd benefit most from is a daily exercise routine that isn't very ambitious. I'd say start small, max out on one set of body squats and one set of a comprehensive abs exercise. The point isn't to add reps or show insane progress, but instead the fact that you've actually done the exercise. in about 2-3 weeks, you'll have the habit internalized and going to bed without exercising will feel like going to bed without brushing that day. It's all about the habit. The way you get there, however, is by taking very small steps.

Let me know what you think,
Sanjeev
AshleyRW
STARTING OUT

Post by AshleyRW »

If you are female and like to exercise, you should check out new site that's devoted to exercise videos for women