Weight training with just dumbells as equipment?

Discuss your weight training questions, concerns and tips!

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

achuthan1988
STARTING OUT

Weight training with just dumbells as equipment?

Post by achuthan1988 »

i wanted to know if weight training is possible without using any equipments other than dumbbells? I have a 4kg,6kg,7kg and 8 kg dumbbells in apartment building. I have seen kris gethins plan on bb.com and have seen quite a large number of the workouts dont use any equipments(push ups,lunges,etc) and some use dumbbells.
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Re: Weight training with just dumbells as equipment?

Post by Boss Man »

Yes, because you could bodyweighted type exercsies, then add a bit of artificial weight into the mix on most them, all barring things like direct Abs work and one or two others like Dips, as doing Dips with a Dumbbell on your lap probably isn't a good idea.

So yes you could do what you're saying with no problem whatsoever, as long as you performed the exercises correctly and didn't take forever to get it done.
kukagra
STARTING OUT

Post by kukagra »

Dumbells are great! Really the only time I would prefer a bar over a dumbell is when I do squats. Most lifts I can think of off the top of head actually give better gains from dumbells for me. You could work your back (aside from lat pull downs), triceps, delts, chest, legs all from a variation of dumbell lifts. Honestly the only muscle I can think of that could not be worked with dumbells is lats but you could always do pullups.
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

Dumbell Rows and also Bench Rows, lying chest side down on an inclined Bench and using two dumbells in tandem. Two good dumbell based exercises for Lats :).

The last one can also be modified for the Traps and rear Delts, using the opposite of a Pec Flye movment
Gym_Junkie
STARTING OUT

Post by Gym_Junkie »

Dumbells are great for working out almost any part of your upper body.

You can work out your abs and pecs by doing dumbell presses (if you have a bench). Work out your shoulders, traps, and deltoids by doing shoulder presses. You can work out your triceps by doing tricep extensions, obviously you can do bicep curls.

The workouts are endless with dumbells. Just remember that its important to not take long breaks in between sets otherwise your ruining your workout.

Another great benefit to dumbbells is the fact most workouts that you'll be performing is also working out your core. Kill two birds with one stone :mrgreen:
Irun100s
STARTING OUT

Post by Irun100s »

If all you have is dumbbells you can create a great workout. Heck even better than if you had machines to include. I found this great article about the differences between free weights vs machines. Afterwords, it helped give me the confidence that free weight workouts are they way to go. However, I still have a few favorite machines that I use in routine. Here is the link to the article: http://www.hawaiianshirtray.com/trainin ... -machines/

I hope this helps,

Irun100s
theport22
STARTING OUT

Post by theport22 »

I'm a big fan of using dumbbells in your workouts since they force you to utilize your stabilizing muscles and your core. They do increase your risk for injury if you're not careful because there's a lot more pressure on your core muscles to support your body and you're performing the exercise.

I'm sure you know by now that dumbbells are more effective than most machines so I say, if you can get creative with enough of your exercises, keep it going! Any exercise that forces you to use your body weight as resistance will typically yield better results. Just remember, keep diversifying your workouts so you don't get stuck in the same routine.