Christina Carney – Fitness Model Statistics
- Name: Christina Carney
- Height: 5’6″
- Weight: 114 pounds
- Date of Birth: 09-22-1978
- Hair Color: Brown
- Bust: 36″
- Waist: 24″
- Hips: 26″
- Location: Moyock, North Carolina
- Website: modelmayhem.com/1138105
Christina Carney – Fitness Model Interview
What is your background?
My name is Christina Carney and I am 32 years of age. I was born and raised in North Carolina and currently reside in Moyock, North Carolina. I am a psychologist by day and a fitness model too. I have been modeling for several years now focusing mainly on swimsuit and fitness type modeling. I am a half-marathon and marathon runner with many accomplishments in the field. In 2010, I ran several half marathons and placed 1st in my age division and 1st overall. Running is my passion and staying healthy is a part of my life. I look forward to motivating and helping others in their quest to getting and staying healthy and fit!
How did you get started in the fitness field?
I have been into fitness since I was in high school. I have always trained hard and wanted to be in the best condition my body will allow. I started running in 5Ks in my early 20s and from there I took my love of fitness to a new level. Now I run marathons and half-marathons for fun and to stay in shape.
What is the #1 thing you like best about being into fitness?
I like being able to motivate others and get other people on track to having and living a healthy lifestyle. I also enjoy sharing my love of running and fitness with other people.
What has been your biggest accomplishment in the fitness field?
Becoming a successful fitness leader and role model!
What is the best way to get started in the fitness modeling industry? Should I just contact the photographers directly or should I use an agency?
I personally contacted photographers and photographers in turn contacted me. Going through an agency can be tough and often times there is a charge or fee to use an agency. Getting your foot in the door often requires hard work and that means really putting yourself out there and asking photographers to shoot you!
Please describe a typical day for you. What is your daily routine like?
My daily routine is fairly simple. I wake up and workout on an empty stomach. This helps burn more fat! My morning workout consists of abs, running or some type of cardio and then light weights. In the evenings, I will walk on the treadmill or take a long walk if it is nice outdoors for an hour before dinner.
I don’t have that much time during the day to workout, so I really want to burn major calories in a short amount of time. What is the #1 “bang for the buck” cardio exercise I should do to burn serious calories?
Since I am a half-marathon runner, I have to say running. Running consistently will get you that bang for your buck!
How much weight (pounds) should I focus on losing every week? What is a safe amount to make sure I keep it off?
You should focus on losing between 1-2 pounds a week. Anything more than that puts your body at risk and isn’t healthy. You want to drop bad pounds, not the healthy muscle.
What type of food or supplements should I take before and after my workouts to help me see results in gaining lean muscle and losing fat?
I do not take a lot of supplements. I watch my diet and drink plenty of water. I often will buy little sugar packets to stick into my water to flavor the water up. If I do take a supplement it is BCAA chewables before and after my workout and taurine after my workout as well. You want to make sure to space out your supplements too! Your body can only handle so much. Stay away from diet pills, they are just gimmicks and really won’t help you keep the weight off. The best way to keep the weight off is by working out on a consistent basis.
How do you deal with cravings for junk foods, sweets and salty food? I can stay on a diet for maybe a few weeks but I eventually get really bad cravings and binge on snacks and fast foods.
If you have a sweet tooth, there are tons of healthy options out there. There is no reason to deny your body what it is craving because if you do you will just binge and then your diet will be completely shot. Look for healthy snack options such as pretzels, or even gummi bears!
I’m trying to create a healthy shopping list to stick with. What are some of the main foods I should include to maintain a lean and muscular physique?
You definitely want to have chicken breasts on your shopping list, as well as numerous veggies, also switch from ground beef to ground turkey. Ground turkey is much leaner and is much healthier for you.
I’m about 35 pounds overweight. I have never started an exercise program and really don’t know where to start. What tips can you give me to get started on the right track?
If you aren’t enrolled in a gym, get enrolled! Normally most gyms offer a personal trainer for free up to three sessions. This can get the ball moving for you and get you on track. Also, enlist a friend to go to the gym with you. If you cannot afford a gym then start walking or jogging on days when it is nice outside. Jumping rope is also a good option to start your weight loss goals. Write your fitness goals down and keep your goal list somewhere where you can easily access it. Don’t give up. Working out is hard work, but in the end the effort you put forth will be wonderful!
I tend to eat out most of the time and really don’t know what healthy foods to order from the menu. What tips do you recommend for eating out at restaurants to make sure my diet will not suffer?
First thing is to ask for a nutritional menu. This will give you the calories of all the foods that the restaurant serves. Try sticking to the healthy options though it can be hard and tempting to go for the burger and fries. Order water instead of having a soda or alcoholic beverage. A healthy lifestyle can be achieved even when you are eating out. Substitute broccoli for fries, or a baked potato with nothing on it instead of fries.
What exercises do you recommend for getting a bigger, rounder and fuller butt?
Do lunges in sets of 3 to 4. Also try squats which can be done at home and not at the gym as well! Always remember to do everything in sets of 3-4 and remain consistent.
What is the most challenging thing you deal with about consistently staying in top shape?
The most challenging thing I deal with is watching what I eat. When you are around friends or family, it can be very tempting to eat what they are eating. I have to remind myself of my fitness goals and that keeps me and my body on track. When going out with friends and family, I always look for healthy food alternatives. If they don’t have them on the menu, I order a salad without the dressing.
Please describe your normal diet. What do you eat in a typical day to stay in shape?
- Breakfast: Cereal and toast.
- Mid-Morning Snack: Gummi bears.
- Lunch: Turkey burger with carrots and celery.
- Mid-Afternoon Snack: Pretzels.
- Dinner: Baked or grilled chicken breast with a good veggie such as a potato.
What type of exercises do you include in your routine to stay in shape?
- Strength Training Exercises: Bicep curls, lunges, squats.
- Cardio Exercises: Running on the treadmill, spinning, riding bikes, walking, running outdoors.
- Additional Training: Core training is a must.
What are the top 5 tips (specific exercises, diet advice, etc) you recommend for developing toned and defined arms?
1. Tricep dips.
2. Bicep curls.
3. Tricep pulldowns.
4. Eat a diet high in protein and healthy carbs.
5. Drink lots of water.
What are your top 5 tips for losing unwanted body fat?
1. Drink lots of water. Water helps you stay full and keeps your body refreshed.
2. Don’t forget to do cardio. Cardio is the key to losing unwanted body fat.
3. Take long walks with your children, pets, friends, family so you can sneak in extra cardio. Walking is a great form of exercise.
4. You must maintain a healthy diet and that requires eating healthy options. Try snacking on carrots or celery sticks. Gummi bears are great after a cardio workout.
5. Cardio must be done at least 3-4 times a week and always shoot for at least 45 minutes per session. Your body needs that time to get your heart rate up!
What are your top 5 tips for gaining lean muscle mass?
1. Cardio is the key to gaining lean muscle mass.
2. Always use supplements after a workout. This helps with your body’s recovery. I use BCAA chewables and taurine.
3. Don’t forget to rest. Your body needs time to recover in between sessions.
4. Protein is important. Try getting one gram per pound of body weight.
5. Don’t forget to eat healthy carbs. Carbs don’t have to be your enemy.
What are the top 5 tips you recommend for staying motivated on a fitness plan and truly making a healthy lifestyle change?
1. Always remain positive.
2. Get motivated by having a partner or friend workout with you.
3. Keep your house full of healthy food. This will keep the temptation to snack away.
4. Always drink water, no soda. Soda is full of extra calories and your body has a hard time burning them off.
5. Pack a snack or meal for road trips. This will keep you from having to worry about where to eat. If you do eat out, look for healthy menu options. Remember to keep salad dressing on the side and to dip your salad instead of pouring the dressing all over the salad. This will cut down on the calories!
What is your training routine like? (Please include a few details – training split, sets/reps, exercises, types of cardio, etc.)
- Monday: Run for 1 hour and do abs for 3 sets of 100 reps.
- Tuesday: Spin for 1.5 hours and do abs 3 sets of 115 reps.
- Wednesday: Off.
- Thursday: Light cardio either walking or running for an hour. Then light weights for 15-20 minutes.
- Friday: Long run day! Run for 1.5 hours.
- Saturday: Short run day! Run for 45 minutes, do abs 3 sets of 50 reps and light weight lifting.
- Sunday: Off.
What are the top 5 tips (specific exercises, diet advice, etc) you recommend for losing fat around the stomach and developing a toned and defined midsection?
1. You must maintain a good diet. We all have abs, it is just a matter of uncovering them through removing the fat that is on our stomachs.
2. You must exercise! Always do cardio. This helps tighten up your stomach muscles.
3. Always do ab exercises. Do ab exercises every other day and do ab exercises in sets of 3 with 50-100 reps per set.
4. Always eat breakfast but after you workout your abs. The best way to lose the weight around your midsection is to workout first and then eat a light breakfast.
5. Do planks! To do planks, first lie face down on a mat resting your forearms and palms flat on the floor. Second, push off the floor, raising up onto your toes and resting on your elbows. Third, keep your back flat in a straight line from head to heels. Fourth, tilt your pelvis and contract your abs to prevent your rear from sticking up in the air or from having a sagging midsection. Lastly, hold for 20-60 seconds, lower and repeat for 3-5 reps.
What are the top 5 tips (specific exercises, diet advice, etc) you recommend for toning the thighs, hips and butt?
1. You want to do high repetitions and lower weight to get toned!
2. Do squats and lunges to help firm your butt, hips, and thighs.
3. Running always helps tone your entire body.
4. If your butt is a problem area, do the stair master at the gym or if you don’t have a gym, try doing stairs at home or taking the stairs instead of the elevator at work.
5. One food that should be in your diet is fish. Fish is a low-calorie food and is high in protein.