Lindsey Pridgen – Fitness Model Statistics
- Name: Lindsey Pridgen
- Height: 5’7″
- Weight: 135 pounds
- Date of Birth: 6/1/1985
- Hair Color: Brown
- Bust: 34C
- Waist: 26
- Hips: 32
- Location: Las Vegas, Nevada
Lindsey Pridgen – Fitness Model Interview
How did you get started in the fitness field?
I’ve always been athletic and love working out, so being fit has always just been a way of life for me.
What is the #1 thing you like best about being into fitness?
Being into fitness really makes you realize how strong of a person you are physically and mentally. The discipline you must have in order to succeed and see results is so self rewarding.
What has been your biggest accomplishment in the fitness field?
Placing in the top 15 at the 2010 USA’s since it was only my 3rd competition ever.
What is the best way to get started in the fitness modeling industry? Should I just contact the photographers directly or should I use an agency?
I contacted a photographer directly because I wanted images for myself, I hadn’t planned on sending them out, but after seeing the end result I was so pleased that I thought, “what the heck, send them and see what kind of feedback I get.” So, you never know what can happen if you reach out.
Please describe a typical day for you. What is your daily routine like?
I wake up early and get my cardio and first meal in so I have it out of the way and can start my day. Then I head off to work, making sure I eat every 2-3 hours (having meals pre-made is key) after work I hit the gym for weights, then its home to relax and spend time with loved ones. I usually go to bed early so I can get at lease 8 hours of sleep in.
I don’t have that much time during the day to workout, so I really want to burn major calories in a short amount of time. What is the #1 “bang for the buck” cardio exercise I should do to burn serious calories?
I’m a big fan of treadmill intervals. Try walking uphill for 8 minutes then jogging for 2, repeat that 3-4 times and you’re done, you’ll be amazed how fast it goes by. You’ll be sweating and toning your hamstrings and glutes at the same time.
How much weight (pounds) should I focus on losing every week? What is a safe amount to make sure I keep it off?
Aim for 1-2 lbs. a week. Anything more is a little too extreme. Once you’re at your goal weight keep an eye on food intake and keep up with your cardio and strength training.
What type of food or supplements should I take before and after my workouts to help me see results in gaining lean muscle and losing fat?
Try creatine before workouts, a lot of women are cautious of creatine, but there’s no reason to be. It helps oxygen get to muscles so you can eek out a few more reps during training. After workouts, get your protein in. It’s important to help your muscles recover and it will keep you from getting hungry.
How do you deal with cravings for junk foods, sweets and salty food? I can stay on a diet for maybe a few weeks but I eventually get really bad cravings and binge on snacks and fast foods.
Don’t deprive yourself. Have a cheat MEAL (not day or binge.) After a long hard week of work and workouts, reward yourself and don’t feel guilty about it, you’ve deserved it. Try sugar-free hard candy or Jell-O for desert.
I’m trying to create a healthy shopping list to stick with. What are some of the main foods I should include to maintain a lean and muscular physique?
I eat lots of fish and veggies. Zucchini and asparagus are some of my favorites. White fish is packed full of protein and helps keep you lean. Orange roughy and tilapia are delicious.
I’m about 35 pounds overweight. I have never started an exercise program and really don’t know where to start. What tips can you give me to get started on the right track?
Hire a personal trainer for a few sessions so you can learn proper form and technique so you don’t injure yourself. Flip through fitness magazines and search websites for new exercises to keep workouts from getting boring. Also, change your diet, clean eating magazines are everywhere with tasty recipes and information. Lastly, keep a food journal so you know what you’re putting in your mouth and where your making progress.
I tend to eat out most of the time and really don’t know what healthy foods to order from the menu. What tips do you recommend for eating out at restaurants to make sure my diet will not suffer?
Stay away from menu items that are ” fried, crisped, drizzled, drenched, etc”. Instead, request that your entrée is grilled, steamed or baked and substitute side items with vegetables. Ask how food is prepared and stay away from dressings and sauces that are white and creamy.
What exercises do you recommend for getting a bigger, rounder and fuller butt?
Squat and squat low. Squatting below parallel really targets your glutes. Walking lunges are great for your butt too. Also, if you want to build muscle, do heavier weight and lower reps.
What is the most challenging thing you deal with about consistently staying in top shape?
Cardio. It has to be done and most people talk themselves out of it but it is so important to get that 4-5 days of cardio in a week.
Please describe your normal diet. What do you eat in a typical day to stay in shape?
- Breakfast: protein shake with glutamine and fruit
- Mid-Morning Snack: egg whites/spinach or oats
- Lunch: chicken breast with veggies or turkey sandwich on whole wheat
- Mid-Afternoon Snack: almonds and another protein shake
- Dinner: tilapia and asparagus with brown rice
What type of exercises do you include in your routine to stay in shape?
- Strength Training Exercises: pull ups, squats, straight leg dead lifts, leg extension, concentration curls, shoulder press, tricep extension, pushups, fly
- Cardio Exercises: at least 40 minutes doing treadmill intervals, stairs, bike
- Additional Training: I hit my hamstrings and shoulders 2x/week because they are my trouble areas.
What are the top 5 tips (specific exercises, diet advice, etc) you recommend for developing toned and defined arms?
1. High reps/lighter weight.
2. Women neglect shoulders but are key to a defined look.
3. Concentrate on failing, even though its lighter weight and higher reps, go until you fail. Really feel that burn.
4. Don’t forget to hit rear delts.
5. Skull crushers are great for that troubled tricep area women have when waving bye-bye.
What are your top 5 tips for losing unwanted body fat?
1. Diet, diet, diet!
2. Cardio 3-4x/week for at least 40 minutes.
3. Snack on healthy options like an ounce of almonds or celery.
4. Do extra cardio that’s fun, take the dogs for a walk after dinner or run around a little extra with your kids, play beach volleyball or hike.
5. Drink lots of water. Water helps you feeling full.
What are your top 5 tips for gaining lean muscle mass?
1. Get 1 gram of protein for each pound you weigh.
2. Healthy carbs like brown rice and yams give you energy and fuel your workouts.
3. Supplement after workout to help recovery.
4. Stretch and cardio.
5. Rest. Your body needs time to rest and recover so enjoy those days off from the gym, just don’t over indulge.
What are the top 5 tips you recommend for staying motivated on a fitness plan and truly making a healthy lifestyle change?
1. Have a supportive surrounding. Let your friends. Family/coworkers know about your lifestyle so they understand your new change.
2. Get a workout buddy or trainer so you have someone to confide in and help you along the way.
3. Keep pantry and refrigerator stocked with healthy food so there is no temptation
4. Take meals with you everywhere you go. Life throws things at you and sometimes there’s no time to cook or you’re in a rush, so by having meals in your carry along cooler, you never have to hit that dreaded drive thru.
5. Redecorate. Color the walls with energizing colors and take down the decorations in the kitchen of wine and cookies and replace them with images of orchards or vegetable gardens. Trust me, temptation is everywhere.
What is your training routine like? (Please include a few details – training split, sets/reps, exercises, types of cardio, etc.)
- Monday: Legs. Deep plie squats and lunges. Lighter weight and high reps to keep a toned look 40 min cardio on stairs to engage hamstrings.
- Tuesday: Off
- Wednesday: Off from weights. Cardio 40 minutes on bike.
- Thursday: Hamstrings (2-3 exercises) and back. Heavy weight to build back 4-5 exercises 8-10 reps. Pull ups, rows back extension. Treadmill cardio.
- Friday: Shoulders (4-5 exercises) 8-10 reps and biceps (2 exercises 10 reps/3x) Arnold press, upright rows, lateral raise, front raise.
- Saturday: Off
- Sunday: Chest 3 exercises 12-15 reps 3x, tricep 2-3 exercises 12-15 reps/3x, shoulders 3 exercises 8-10 reps 3-4x. Push ups fly, skull crushers, tricep extension, kick back.
I lift heavy shoulders and back since I lack maturity there and hit shoulders 2x a week. Hamstrings 2x a week as well but higher reps for toning. I don’t build my chest biceps or triceps much because I carry muscle size in my arms and just want to keep them tight.
What are the top 5 tips (specific exercises, diet advice, etc) you recommend for losing fat around the stomach and developing a toned and defined midsection?
1. Diet. We all have abs, they are just covered by fat.
2. Cardio. We have to shed fat for our mid section to tighten up.
3. Ab exercise. Never use weight when training lower or oblique. We want a small waist, not a bulky one.
4. Eat breakfast, it revs up your metabolism and burns fat.
5. Try planks for 30 seconds then build your way up to a minute.
What are the top 5 tips (specific exercises, diet advice, etc) you recommend for toning the thighs, hips and butt?
1. High reps and lower weight for toning.
2. Squat and lunge 12-15 reps 4x.
3. Running elongates the hamstrings and helps tone.
4. Stairs help tighten your butt. You’ll definitely feel it!
5. Eat fish. It’s very low-calorie and super high in protein.