Spinal Flexion - Pilates Exercise Guide
This is the crunch in traditional exercises. The difference is keeping
the belly hollowed as the spine lengthens in flexion. Find length,
not a crunch of the spine.
- Lie on the back with parallel legs bent. Lace the hands behind
- Before starting the movement, become conscious of the spaces
between the vertebras of the spine.
- Use the hands to support the head.
- Inhale and feel the lower ribs broaden and lengthen on the floor
- Exhale, hollow and sink the lower ribs into the floor as the
head floats off the floor. Feel the back ribs spread open as the
spine flexes. Feel the back ribs opening as the front ribs come
- Return the spine back to the floor by matching the length of
the front ribs to the back ribs.
- Repeat three more times
Did the belly remain hollowed or did you pooch the belly out when
you flexed your spine?
View All Pilates Exercises with Photos & Instructions >>