Kettlebell training is one of the most fun and effective ways to train your body to build lean muscle mass and burn body fat. A kettlebell looks a little like a cannonball or a bowling ball with a handle attached to it. They originated in Russia over 300 years ago and the Russian word for kettlebell is “girya” and a person who trained with them was called a “girevik” (kettlebell lifter).
Here are just a few of the benefits of including kettlebells into your overall fitness routine:
- Combines Strength Training and Cardio – Training with kettlebells is incredible for not only the strength training and resistance benefits you will receive, but you will also get an outstanding cardiovascular workout! They are excellent for performing ballistic exercises that combine cardiovascular, strength and flexibility training. Have you ever tried doing 50 repetitions of kettlebell swings? You will definitely get your heart rate up and feel the fat burning off! Some of the most accomplished professorial athletes include kettlebell training into their routines to increase their overall conditioning.
- It’s Fun and Versatile – Are you tired of the same old boring day-in and day-out workouts using machines and free weights at the gym? This is where kettlebells really come in handy since they offer a wide array of different exercises to target every single muscle group on your body. This type of training is also really fun since you can try out new movements and combine multiple exercises into an effective whole body workout.
- Kettlebells are Compact and Portable – You don’t need to spend a bunch of money on expensive gym memberships or bulky exercise equipment. Kettlebells are very compact and you really only need one moderately sized kettlebell to train your entire body with an intense workout. If you want to mix it up with different poundages, then two or three different sizes (10 pounds, 30 pounds, 50 pounds) is everything you need to cover all the bases. That’s only 3 little kettlebells versus a bunch of different machines, dumbbells and barbells sitting around taking up space. The portability of kettlebells is also a major factor since you can easily store them in a closet and workout in the convenience of your own home whenever you want. If you’re looking to buy kettlebells, we recommend a fantastic website called Onnit.com which has a large collection of different styles at competitive prices. You can even choose cool designs like the Bigfoot Primal Bell, Gorilla Primal Bell and Werewolf Legend Bell!
- Great for Functional Strength – Kettlebells are perfect for building functional strength. This is the type of strength needed for daily life situations and everyday tasks. As opposed to many traditional weight lifting exercises which focus on isolated movements and only target a single muscle group, kettlebell training hits multiple muscle groups and it’s an excellent way to include compound multi-joint workouts into your routine.
- Avoid Boring Cardio Workouts – Are you tired of spending endless hours on the treadmill, stationary bike or elliptical trainer? This will never happen with kettlebells! There are so many different variations of exercises you can include in hundreds of different workouts that you will always find a new and exciting routine to try out. When you perform high repetition training, you get the benefits of combining a calorie burning cardio workout along with strength training which is the ultimate combination for developing a lean and muscular physique!
We have included over 100 kettlebell exercises to help you learn how to properly execute each movement safely and effectively to get the most out of each exercise to help you build muscle, gain strength and burn body fat! You can combine different exercises to build your own custom kettlebell workouts for each individual muscle group or train your entire body! Take advantage of this awesome form of training which you can do anywhere with a minimal amount of space to get amazing results!