To learn how to stabilize the pelvis as you lift a leg. This principle is important in all Pilates mat exercises with the use of the legs.
1. Lie on the back with parallel legs bent and feet on the floor. The spine is in neutral. Place the hands on the femoral folds. This is where the hinge of the thigh and the hip connect.
2. Inhale and feel the width of the sacrum and back ribcage.
3. Exhale and hollow. Imagine the hollow energizes the spine into a new connection of the head-tail.
- Inhale and breathe wide into the back body.
- Exhale to deflate the abdominals in and lift the bent right leg. The hands are feeling the softening of the femoral fold.
- Inhale and lower the right thigh back to its original position.
- Exhale with a hollow and lift the bent left thigh up to 90 degrees. The pelvis should remain in neutral.
- Repeat 3 more sets.
- Advance, hollow and lift both bent legs up.
- Repeat 3 more times.
Was the pelvis quiet during the thigh lift? If the back muscles engaged, you must learn to deepen the hollow and maintain it before and during the leg lift.