I’ve been working out at the gym for over 3 years but I haven’t really had great results and I’m getting frustrated. I want to gain size and get bigger. Should I be taking whey protein powder during the day to help me add muscle and gain weight?
Whey is commonly referred to as milk serum, the byproduct of milk curdling. Roughly 20% of protein contained in animal milk comes from whey proteins. The other 80% is made up of casein fractions.
Whey protein contains all of the necessary amino acids and is a great source of fast acting protein for building muscle and getting bigger. It is highly soluble in liquids over different ranges of pH. Whey powder is made by first extracting whey from milk. After the extraction and isolation process, it is then filtered to take out carbohydrates and fat. The remaining product is whey protein powder that is a favorite nutritional supplement among fitness enthusiasts and professional bodybuilders.
Whey protein powder is made more pure through additional filtering. This process decreases the amount of fat and carbs and increases the protein content. Whey protein powder is a highly recommended supplement for anyone interested in dropping body fat, building muscle and enhancing overall wellness and health.
What Does Whey Protein Do?
Protein is extremely important when it comes to muscle maintenance and development. Protein is considered the basic building blocks of muscle, since amino acids are highly concentrated in muscle tissue. Amino acids perform various physiological roles like energy production, immune system function, neurotransmission, cardiovascular function and brain metabolism, among others.
Different Types of Whey Protein
There are three different types of whey protein available. Each of them indicates the various degrees of processing and filtering. From the most processed to the least processed, the different types of whey include:
- Whey Protein Hydrolysate
- Whey Protein Isolate
- Whey Protein Concentrate
Most manufactures of protein products make protein powders that consist of the three different types of whey proteins (blend). This makes it possible to benefit from all the three whey proteins without purchasing three different products.
Whey stimulates muscle protein synthesis. This process results in stronger and bigger muscles. Whey is an excellent muscle building supplement to include in your regimen and has the following benefits:
- Enhances the functioning of the immune system, particularly in those who are physically active.
- It has a high content of L-leucine which positively regulates the mTOR pathway.
- Prevents age related muscular atrophy and maintains muscle mass.
- Is convenient and easy to include in one’s diet.
- Enhances fat loss and boosts metabolism.
- Increases anabolic response to resistance training.
- Boosts insulin sensitivity.
- Is rapidly digested and absorbed.
- Provides anti-catabolic properties during prolonged aerobic exercise.
Best Time To Use Whey
The best time to use whey protein powder is before and after your workouts, roughly 30 minutes prior to your session and immediately after. This provides your muscle tissue with adequate amino acids which promotes the maximum growth of your muscles. You should take about 20-25 grams of whey before you lift weights. This decreases muscle breakdown, enhances muscular strength and increases endurance. After you complete your weight training workout, take an additional 30-40 grams of whey protein to boost the synthesis of muscle protein and enhance muscle recovery. Since you want to drink your whey protein shake immediately after your workout, a great tip is to pre-mix everything into a shaker bottle and bring it with you to the gym so you have instant access to a post-workout shake to maximize this important window of opportunity for muscle recovery and growth!
It is also important to consume a small amount of whey protein first thing when you wake up in the morning. This is essential in stopping the catabolic process of muscle breakdown which occurs with overnight fasting. You can also include whey protein shakes as part of your snacks in between your meals to support fat loss and boost muscle growth.
As you can see, including a whey protein powder supplement into your overall fitness routine is a great way to help build muscle and get bigger. Coupled with a solid weight training program and sufficient rest, you should see great results in adding size and mass to your physique!