I’m always surprised by the number of women I meet at the gym who never lift weights. Many women have no problem getting in their cardio workouts, but for a variety of reasons, never hit the weight room. Weight lifting has so many benefits for women. Here are just a few:
- The obvious – you will look better. Lifting weights builds, shapes, strengthens and sculpts problem areas.
- It will make you physically stronger. This will help you with everyday chores such as lifting and carrying your children, laundry and groceries.
- You will lose body fat. Adding lean muscle mass increases your resting metabolism rate. Each pound of added muscle burns 30-50 additional calories per day. That can really add up!
- Lifting weights increases bone density and decreases your risk of osteoporosis. Besides getting enough calcium, this is the single most important thing you can do to protect your bones!
- It will reduce your risk of injury. Lifting weights not only strengthens muscles, but also connective tissues and joints. Don’t avoid weights because you have bad knees, ankles, etc. Instead, concentrate on strengthening the muscles surrounding your joints – you may be surprised how much better you feel.
- Lifting weights will improve your attitude and help fight depression. As you become physically stronger, you will feel more confident, capable, and mentally strong. This may be the best benefit of all!
Don’t know where to get started? First, use the many exercise guides and workout routines provided for you on this website. This is a great resource and shows you proper form for hundreds of exercises! Be sure to incorporate exercises for all major muscle groups. Still confused? Ask for help! Many gyms offer an “introduction” to the weight room at little or no cost. Or, consider hiring a personal trainer for a few sessions to get you started on the right track. Try to lift weights two to three times per week, but if that doesn’t fit with your schedule, you will benefit from even just once a week. Add weights to your current fitness routine and you will look and feel better, and have a stronger and healthier body!