Are you tired of the same old workout, day after day? Do you feel stuck in a rut? This month, why not break out of your comfort zone and challenge yourself by trying something new? How about a Group Fitness class? Group exercise classes are no longer JUST aerobics and there are so many benefits. Here are just a few reasons to give one a try…
- There is a wide variety of classes so you won’t get stuck in a rut doing the same workout over and over.
- Instructors offer guidance in terms of intensity, exercise modifications, injury prevention and rehabilitation.
- It keeps you from getting bored with your workout.
- Helps keep you on an exercise schedule because classes are held at specific times.
- Helps you to meet people in the gym that you normally wouldn’t talk to if you were just doing your own thing on the fitness floor.
- You don’t have to think, just follow the instructor’s lead!
- Classes are held to music so the time goes quickly.
- You are more likely to challenge yourself than if you were in charge of your own workout. You don’t want the others in class to think you are slacking off!
- People will notice if you aren’t in class so it gives you a little incentive to go even on the days you just don’t feel like it.
- They’re fun! When you enjoy your workout, you are more likely to stick with it.
Most gyms now offer a wide variety of classes. Find one that appeals to you and try it! Worst case – you hate it and will never go back, but at least you got a workout. And who knows? You may just love it!
Here are some tips for your first group fitness class:
- Find a spot in the back – no one wants to be up front their first time in class!
- Introduce yourself to the instructor BEFORE class, and inform them of any injuries or limitations you have. Ask if you need any equipment and how to get set up for class.
- Work at your own pace – don’t be worried about what everyone around you is thinking, they are probably too busy concentrating on their own workout to even notice what you are doing.
- Speak up after class and let the instructor know what you thought, or if you have any questions. I know that I LOVE feedback from my class participants!
- Have fun!