How to help cousin?

A place to hang with other members, introduce yourself and discuss practically anything.

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

MF_rogue
STARTING OUT

How to help cousin?

Post by MF_rogue »

Long story short - He is fat. He's 14 years old, weights 98kg, his waist size is 4XL. I see him be concerned about his looks all the time, yesterday went to a market to look for sneakers, I suggested him to look for jeans as well - we walked around for an hour and he could not find his size. He got so pissed off - left the market and later on repeated a few times that it's so easy to be me, I can get jeans whenever I wanted. Then I got really mad, I dropped a lot of weight myself, why couldn't he do the same...
He's a really spoiled kid - his mother does everything for him, he lacks of motivation, he likes to joke about his fat which sometimes is good, but other times sounds like he's just trying to cover up his pain - so many obstacles on helping him. I know that I should not pressure him into what he does not want to do, but I'm not sure if he really is sure on what he wants. About a month ago I told him that he would have to promise that if I died he would drop weight (I know - a bit harsh, but it worked on his motivation wonders for that time) and he agreed. Should I pressure him even more? At least to make him walk some distance every day?
I really can't stand seeing him wallow in his own despair and then just joke about it. I know that he can do it, I've seen many members on this forum doing it, I've seen myself getting in shape which was almost impossible since I've always been a munchkin - I know that he can do it as well. I just have to pressure him the right way. Help! I need suggestions.
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Re: How to help cousin?

Post by Boss Man »

It's great that you want to help him, but you also must be aware that pushing him too much, may alienate him from a weight loss process.

There is only so much you can do and then the rest is up to him.

Perhaps you can involve him in things you do and give him a good reason why he should, which isn't just the plain old it's good for you.

I'm sure you'll find a good reason to involve him in things if he wants to be involved :).

Good luck.