pre-workout snacks?

A place to hang with other members, introduce yourself and discuss practically anything.

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

ylil
STARTING OUT

pre-workout snacks?

Post by ylil »

Hello!

I'm pretty new to the fitness world, still working on it! I'm currently on week 3 of a 4 week fitness blender program. So far am really enjoying it!

I usually work 9 - 5 and have to do workouts after work (usually starting about 6/6:15ish. I then usually have dinner as soon as I can afterwards. question is about eating before workout. I don't want to eat anything that will fill me up too much as i'll eat dinner soon after, and want to be sure i'm doing the right kind of thing. Is a snack like a couple of rice cakes with some almond butter as I leave work okay? A handful or almonds and a piece of fruit? A lot of the pre-workout snacks that I see seem to be quite large, maybe more for people who aren't working out so close to dinner time?

As is obvious, this is all very new to me, any advice would be appreciated!
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Re: pre-workout snacks?

Post by Boss Man »

Hi Ylil, good tot talk to you.

Yes the options you identified in your post seems fine. There should be nothing wrong with those. You can also have other things like celery sticks, raw carrots, boiled eggs, oat granolas, low fat cheese, peanuts etc. your calories shouldn't need to exceed 150-200 as you'll be eating another meal within about 90-120 minutes of starting your workout based on the workout time, plus time to get home and time to make something.
MarthaB
STARTING OUT

Post by MarthaB »

eat wheat bread, bananas and fruits shakes. Eat protein bar snacks too. Good source of energy.
tylerr
STARTING OUT

Post by tylerr »

The snack that works best for me prior to lifting is some cottage cheese with fruit. It's a nice light snack. The fruit I use depends on mood or the season, but it's usually blueberries, pineapple, or strawberries.

I've tried all manner of pre-workout snacks but that seems to be the one that works best for me.
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

Actually pineapple has no seeds so technically it's a fruit; but feel free to still keep eating it with your cottage cheese as this fact does not impinge on its healthy qualities :).
GreenSuede33
STARTING OUT

Post by GreenSuede33 »

I've been having to wrestle with this question recently after a few workouts sans snack didn't go well. Hello, dizziness. I've pretty much landed on MarthaB's suggestion, which is a protein / nut bar. They give me a nice pre-workout boost while not being too much food that it affects workout. +1 to that! :)
Nairo
STARTING OUT

Post by Nairo »

The old reliable banana is always a good choice. As long as it doesn't get squashed in the gym bag on the way in.

:clap:
UKFitJim
STARTING OUT

Post by UKFitJim »

As everyone says a banana is go to snack as is a cup of coffee for the caffeine