MMA Fighter looking to increase mass??

A forum for training tips, advice and anything regarding sports and strength events.

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

JimJam87
STARTING OUT

MMA Fighter looking to increase mass??

Post by JimJam87 »

I've been doing a mix of taekwondo and hapkido for over a year now and I've been trying to gain mass for quite some time, but all I seem to be doing is getting leaner and more toned. I can take on guys who are larger than me (6', 0" & 160 lbs) simply because I'm fairly quick. I'd like to get some power behind strikes and kicks. Anybody know of any good workouts there for mma?
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Re: MMA Fighter looking to increase mass??

Post by Boss Man »

Do you actually do any weight training at the moment?

It could be simply that if you do, your programme is good, but you diet needs more calories.
JimJam87
STARTING OUT

Post by JimJam87 »

Yes I do weight training. Roughly 3-4 days a week with weights. Monday nights I have martial arts class for 2 hours which works fairly well as cardio training. I also like to do one night a week on the punching bag along with some shadow boxing and kicking, and that lasts anywhere from a half hour to 50 minutes. I know I have a high metabolism, so I would guess I would need a higher calorie intake...
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

Training seems okay. I don't think you're particularly overdoing it, so it would look as if you really need to bolster up your calories.

It may not require much, it might just require another 300-500 a ay for now. Bearing in mind, you shouldn't eat like big dudes until you need thso ecalories. If you ate 1,000-1,500 a day more than necessary, a lot of those calories could provbably convert to Fat and you'd convert less the more you needed in the future, but it makes no sense to be 190lbs with 4lbs more fat and 4lbs less muscle than someone else, because you overate in the earlier days.
swanso5
VETERAN

Post by swanso5 »

you don't want to get bigger, you want to get stronger

search chad waterbury hammer down strength article
ultimatehlth
ESTABLISHED MEMBER

Post by ultimatehlth »

Make sure your weight training is on different days or at least 4 hour removed from any other exercise. The idea is to prolong the pump and testosterone increases that occur after weight training. Within an hour have a post workout meal that is 3 or 4 to 1 carbs to protein and low fat. Low fat chocolate milk works great. Hit the showers then have a balanced meal an hour later.

You can also supplement with creatine ( 2.5 grams 1 hour before exercise and 2.5 grams with post workout meal). 3 grams of L-arginine 1 hour before exercise and 3 grams on empty stomach before bed.
Last edited by ultimatehlth on Mon Apr 28, 2014 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

Arginine is okay as long as there is no problems with interaction to it.

As for Creatine, it's a hit and miss product. The dosing as Ultimate stated is okay, but be aware that you might find it's not all it's cracked up to be performance wise, it can vary from person to person and almost certainly i has more impact with bigger, more powerful people.