Runner's workout???

A forum for training tips, advice and anything regarding sports and strength events.

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

ArtzyJen
ESTABLISHED MEMBER

Runner's workout???

Post by ArtzyJen »

I am a very amateur runner, starting to become more serious... I'm about to embark on third 5k this year and will be training for city's 15k next year in October. I definitely want to add weights in (I've been doing somewhat random weight work since I started running- 1 or 2 days a week for about 1 hour. (I've been running around 10 miles a week for the past 3 weeks and walk about another 5 for cardio). I haven't been doing leg work since I've been running, focusing mainly on upper body and core when I do lift weights. Should I be adding in leg work too? How many times a week should I be doing weights?

I started working out to lose weight in July and although that is still a major goal, becoming fit and running has become more of focus. For the first time in life I'm actually enjoying exercise and can't believe how great this feels!!! I'm down 19 lbs since July 17th and 2 sizes(!). So anyone else reading this- you CAN do it! I'm not even near goal, but I have no doubt I'll make it there eventually.
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Re: Runner's workout???

Post by Boss Man »

First off, you deserve to be so proud of yourself Jen. Your'e a superb Lady and I'm so happy to see you pushing further and achieving more. WELL DONE :).

You say you've been doing the weights, so how does the weight training fit into a normal week of running?

Give us an idea of what days and times you run and lift. If it's amenable, there might only require the addition of some Leg work, no real shuffling of the weekly schedule.
ArtzyJen
ESTABLISHED MEMBER

Post by ArtzyJen »

Last week was a bit of a light week due to scheduling, but it'll have to do:
Monday: ran 1.5 - 30 minutes of calisthenics at home. Pushups, crunches, russian twists, dips, and some free weight work.
Tues-Off
Wed- walked 3
Thurs- ran 3.1- walked 1
Friday- Off
Saturday- ran 1.3 - did about 60 minutes of weights at gym- 40 minutes arms/20 minutes core.
Sunday- ran/walked...gravel/grass trails - 2.75... really sore today from weight work at gym!
That help?
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

I've just made one amendment in light of what you posted.
ArtzyJen wrote: Monday: ran 1.5 - 30 minutes of calisthenics at home. Pushups, crunches, russian twists, dips, and some free weight work.
Tues-Off
Wed- walked 3
Thurs- ran 3.1- walked 1 (Add some weights in here).

Friday- Off
Saturday- ran 1.3 - did about 60 minutes of weights at gym- 40 minutes arms/20 minutes core.
Sunday- ran/walked...gravel/grass trails - 2.75... really sore today from weight work at gym!