Back troubles...

A forum for training tips, advice and anything regarding sports and strength events.

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

steveabode
STARTING OUT

Back troubles...

Post by steveabode »

Hi all

As a coach I should have known better... but I was working (care) last week and the guy I work for had misaligned his wheelchair with it's ramp and drove off of the side... I rushed to help and caught the chair before it tipped over, but in doing so lower back went "twang" and I had to hit the deck with this sudden new pain! I managed to work the rest of the afternoon and went to see the osteopath later. She mauled me around a bit and said that internal core was extremely weak and that it was inherent in much weight training that the big, protective "sheath" type muscles, such as the abs and glutes are always given precedence over the inner, stabilising control muscles. She gave me an exercise where I lie on back with knees initially pointing straight up in the air; the exercise is to move knees towards head for only three inches over a period of about 15 seconds...! This has proved extremely difficult and actually quite tiring!! I wondered if anyone has had similar experiences and maybe could recommend more of these "inner you" stabilising exercises?

Regards to all

Steve
steveabode
STARTING OUT

Re: Back troubles...

Post by steveabode »

Great, thanks B!

I'll look over those and give them a try- really appreciate the help :D
swanso5
VETERAN

Post by swanso5 »

shucks
steveabode
STARTING OUT

Post by steveabode »

hello swanso5, hope you're well...
swanso5
VETERAN

Post by swanso5 »

hey mate,

do as brent suggested
steveabode
STARTING OUT

Post by steveabode »

cool, thanks for your input man!

Just started on a plan by Eric Cressey & Matt Fitzgerald- Maximum Strength it's called. He has a power-lifting background but I was impressed with how he graduates the difficulty from start up to week 16, so will take it careful with some of the stuff Brenty says. Thanks again for endorsing his suggestions :D
swanso5
VETERAN

Post by swanso5 »

i was actually a guinea pig for the program, it's good

he uses a lot of exercises where the load progresses to the front in phase 3 and 4 for memory..if he doesn't then you can simply do that variation anyway
qingfeng456
STARTING OUT

Post by qingfeng456 »

cool, thanks for your input man!

Just started on a plan by Eric Cressey & Matt Fitzgerald- Maximum Strength it's called. He has a power-lifting background but I was impressed with how he graduates the difficulty from start up to week 16, so will take it careful with some of the stuff Brenty says. Thanks again for endorsing his suggestions
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

As you can see the programme must work, because Swanso didn't end up looking like some hideous distorted creature, or Quasimodo's body double :P.

The way some people train in Gym, leaning back 70+ degrees on a Cable Row machine, it's a wonder they don't develop a hump :shock:.
Alinshop
REGULAR

Post by Alinshop »

I realize this is a dated thread, but has anyone with back issues ever tried Rocktape? The tape creates a bio-mechanical lifting mechanism that lifts the skin away from the soft tissue underneath, which allows more blood to move into an injured area.

I pinched a nerve in lower back over 6 mths ago and it still gives me trouble once in awhile so i tried Rocktape.... and BINGO...no pain while working out! I lift 5+ day's per week and honestly been a life saver.

Here is the link, if anyone is interested:)

http://rocktape.com/products/tape/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
toddhicks209
SOCIAL CLIMBER

Post by toddhicks209 »

To avoid having back trouble, you must use common sense for weight training besides building the necessary core muscles. Several years ago, I would lean over into an old trash can in back yard to put heavy bricks in it before bench pressing the can. While leaning over to put in a brick one day, I strained lower back and had back trouble for the next 3 weeks. That was the last time I worked out that way.
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

Sensible advice even if probably 99.99% of people who workout never workout using bricks :tongue: